SG metal pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Screamingmoon, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Screamingmoon

Screamingmoon New Member

Hello,

I've been playing for a very time but wanted to see if anyone had some ideas.

I play a style of metal I would describe as doom without the fuzz and more so a high gain sound. For leads, I'm in the school of using way too much reverb and delay.

I'm contemplating changing out the 498t in my SG. This is odd because I really like the pickup. I just feel like every review I see online is extremely negative toward it and there might be better options for me. I can watch 20 YouTube videos on the same pickup but it is impossible to tell how it actually sounds with the way these guitarists dial in their amps.

I did have a Tony Iommy pickup awhile back in another SG and while I liked it, I felt like it lost something the 498t had. It is possible this is because the 498t was all alnico but the Iommi had both ceramic and alnico mags.

As far as pickup manufacturers go, I never have found a dimarzio humbucker pickup I liked. Duncan and stock gibson pickups always seemed to catch my ears more often. I am also curious about Tom Anderson pickups.

Cost isn't really a concern, I won't mind spending a lot on a pickup if it's worth it and I know I am sticking with my sg's.

So I guess my question is this; What pickups do you know of that are similar to a 498t or duncan JB I might be interested in but might be unaware of?

I currently play a JCM800 and Engl Powerball 2 I run simultaneously but am contemplating lowering my setup to just a 40watt ENGL

2. plankton

plankton Active Member

If you really like them, who cares what other people think?

It's a tricky thing, that "grass might be greener" thing. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SG standard likes this.
  3. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Stop reading the reviews then and listen with your ears and not someone else's questionable opinion. What makes the most difference is what you do with the signal after it comes out of the guitar.

For practice, a 1 (one) watt tube amp can make very big overdriven sound when cranked. What you might call clean harmonically rich distortion, not to be confused with the angry bees in a tin can fizzie distortion you get from a distortion petal.

For some added boost an EG petal can do a lot to give the amp a hotter signal to work with.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

You're right, it is odd - because the main reason people change their pickups is that they don't like them. :) The pickup most like a 498T is actually a 498T - and I'm not trying to be funny here, just to highlight that you're trying to replace a pickup you like with something just like it - but which, presumably, the internet hordes praise...

Forget it. Stick with what YOU like. Personally, I prefer the 498T over the classic '57 or Burstbucker Pros when it comes to high gain sounds. Seems like you do too. If you're relatively new to playing (what is a 'very time'?), I'd recommend that you first of all look at your amp if you're not happy with your tone; many years ago I swapped out a pickup, only to discover I really should've bought a new amp. But if you're happy with your tone, play more, read less internet nonsense!

5. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Member

I’ve read on countless forums and watched thousands of videos on YouTube to find the sound I want.

Even after buying the amp and guitar I’ve always wanted! Trying to find that perfect tone that’s in my head to come out of that speaker box.

I’ve finally got it, BUT! It’s taken me a lot of time fiddling with pickup heights and how much this knob needs to be turned in whatever direction to get the desired sound.

So, I guess my advice is to just really try to take advantage of what you’ve got!
    I would love to have a Marshall head with a quad box, but I don’t have the space and so I’m using a Marshall DSL40C instead.

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I use Danelecro lipstick, and Fender nocaster tele pickups for metal. Metal is attitude, not pickups.

7. lcw

lcw Active Member

498T...

8. lcw

lcw Active Member