SG neck dive solution

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chiefhibachi1, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

I originally posted this on a dead thread it seems. Looking for some feedback positive or negative.
    I recently purchased a 2016 SG HP. I liked the wider neck feature Gibson offers with this model but the auto tune contraption on the head stock is useless. Not sure what they were thinking with that piece of shite.
    I do love the feel, weight, and tone of this guitar but the neck dive was killing me. I started trying to balance the guitar by replacing the auto tuner with light weight Planet Waves mini locking tuners then replacing the plastic pickguard with a brushed stainless steel one to add a little weight to the body. It helped a little but still wasn't comfortable. I didn't want to add any more weight to the body since it would ruin one of the best features of the SG, it's weight.
    I knew Stienberger had a solution for neck dive on their small body headless bases by adding an extended strap hook arm to change the center of balance but my searches for one of those arms was fruitless since they don't make them anymore and trying to find a used one was just as futile.
    So I decided to make my own extension arm. I used 3/16" aluminum plate and mounted Dunlop strap locks on it. The guitar came with the cool aluminum form fitted case so I couldn't mount the extender permanently so I had to use knurled thumb screws and threaded inserts to mount it to the guitar and make it easily removable.
    Luckily I have a friend that knows a guy that does powder coating which added a nice touch. Blends right in with the guitar.
    sg11.jpg sg22.jpg sg33.jpg

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Seems a lot simpler to move the rear strap button, and it's a mod you can leave in place when it's in the case.

dub-setter, Raiyn and Chiefhibachi1 like this.
  3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Honestly, I just never had that much trouble with neck dive. If I'm playing there is little reason to have both hands off the guitar, and I have found with SG's that just resting my forearm on the upper bass bout balance the guitar nicely. I don't think I would want to add something like this to one of my guitars, but if you are happy with it and it works for you then mo' power.

Dale, cerebral gasket, ivan H and 3 others like this.
  4. lcw

lcw Active Member

WTF?

fuzbuzz78, 58pit and Chiefhibachi1 like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Maybe you're an ESP guy...
    Seriously, I've never seen one with neck dive bad enough to be uncontrollable, by holding on to the neck, which I do when I play anyhow. I hate the aesthetic carnage wrought by folks trying to cure it.

Ray, Dude, ivan H and 5 others like this.
  6. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Well you asked for feedback, good or bad...
    Though well executed, I find it butt ugly.
    Sorry, I just can't sugar coat it.
    I'm sure it does what you ask of it but I'm just not seeing the need.
    But, it's your guitar... Rock on!

fuzbuzz78, Sosu2211, WavMixer and 4 others like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

YUCK !

fuzbuzz78, ivan H, sg jones and 2 others like this.
  8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Two words: suede strap.

That's not to dis*suede* you or anything (nyuck, nyuck), as your solution looks perfectly functional, it's just... It looks a bit like a trailer hitch attached to an Aston Martin. Not very elegant, IMHO.

There's a lot of opinion regarding the neck dive of an SG, and I understand many just can't get past it, either opting for drastic DIY solutions like this or just going after a different guitar altogether. My strap is a C.F. Martin branded one (probably odd, given it's application, I'll admit), but it's got a nice, wide shoulder to it, a roughened-up texture, and it was cheap (~$30). It's perfect for the application. I need to get another one now that I have two, now that I think about it...

Anyway, regardless of anyone else's reaction, if you like it, way to go! :cheers:

EDIT: I just noticed that you mentioned it was removable with thumbscrews... Not going to lie, that's actually pretty cool. There when you need it, off when you don't.

I very much do, however, like the brushed aluminum pickguard and the zebra pups. Nice axe you got there, Chief.

Hector and Chiefhibachi1 like this.
  9. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

This model already had the button on the back side of the horn. I thought about moving it to the tip of the horn but there was no guarantee it would be balanced there. I tested mounting the arm with the removable double sided tape used for hanging picture frames and found that the strap button had to move that far out to find the balance I was looking for.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  10. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

Ones mans aesthetic carnage is another mans beauty of function I guess. As far as control is concerned this guitar is so much easier to play now. Like I said in my original post I love the this guitar, I just didn't like having to fight gravity to play it the way I like. I appreciate the feedback. I do like ESP guitars, I'd love to get my hands on an urban camo Viper some day. Very cool.

11. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

Thanks Clifdawg, it's been a lot of fun modifying this axe. I just installed the pups the other day, Pearly Gates matched set. Gibsons new wiring system made it a snap. I tried the wide strap option but I found all it did was drag my shirt down and I would have to constantly readjust. The pick guard is stainless, my failed attempt to add a little weight to the body to improve the balance.

12. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

Yeah, it's a little angular eh? I was going for function more than form on my first attempt. Now that it's mounted I can see a few better designs that will improve it's appearance. Thanks for the feedback.

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

No, that's the front strap button - the one you've replaced. See the link in my previous post, moving the rear strap button is a simple, permanent solution. You'll see some manufacturers do this on their models to create a better balance. Even Gibson did it on the original '58 Explorers.

Chiefhibachi1 likes this.
  14. grausch

grausch Active Member

Not bad for a first attempt and at least it works. My preferred solution would be lighter tuners with the second solution being moving the rear strap button. Since tuners didn't work for you, I get that you went for something to solve the problem once and for all.

Another solution I saw but am not too keen on is adding weights to the control cavity using wheel balancing weights. They already come with adhesive tape and their small size allows you to really dial in the needed weight. Reason I don't like them is that they add weight.

Chiefhibachi1 likes this.
  15. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

Oh OK. I refer to them as bottom and top. I didn't think of that option. I will try that on my next guitar build project. Why wouldn't Gibson try this on the SG's? It's well known that they have this issue.

16. Biddlin

No, it's well known that some players have this issue. The guitars are quite content as they are. The aesthetics may not matter to you and as Dave says,"it's your guitar... Rock on!" From a marketing point of view, I don't think I'd radically alter the appearance of my best selling product to appease a very small minority of customers who obviously are capable of any modification themselves.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Interesting bit of overengineering there. It's certainly different, that's for sure. I'd be more inclined to just move the rear strap button like they used to before people got hung up on strap buttons being aesthetically pleasing and insisting on them being in the same spot on the neck centerline regardless of the actual balance point of the guitar.

In Tampa and Chiefhibachi1 like this.
  18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

And before you get too involved in surgery with the balance of your SG, I recommend
    you take a really good look at how much your tuners weigh. Take a radical look, with your mind open to all possibilities. Take an accurate look.

What I'm talking about is to compare the actual weight of your tuners with
    what StewMac reports as the weight of the Grover Vintage Keystone tuners... here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...s/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

SGs are very sensitive to excess weight on the headstock. If you click on the link above
    you'll see that StewMac gives precise weight information for every type of tuner they sell.
    The Grover Vintage Keystone tuners are identical in weight to the stock Gibson deluxe
    tuners that your guitar was designed to balance with.

So before you do anything else, I recommend that you remove your strings, remove your
    locking tuners and weigh them carefully. On an accurate scale. Or look up the weight if you can find trustworthy information. But I'd take them off and weigh them. Then you'll know whether the tuners you installed are causing the problem. And that's good information to have.

We see so many posts about SGs with neck dive... and IMHO most of them are due to
    guitarists rigid notions of what tuners must go on the headstock. Grover Rotomatics are
    the usual culprit (especially among the Epi owners) but Sperzels and Schallers and other
    locking tuners are also too heavy.

I own two SGs and they both balance perfectly. But I haven't saddled mine with excessive
    weight. One has the Grover Keystones mentioned above which work fine and balance correctly.
    The other has the stock tuners made for Gibson by TonePros in 2012. Those also work fine
    and balance correctly. *shrugs. I use the self-locking method of installing strings, so I don't
    need locking tuners. Good luck...

Oh and ETSG will now and forever refer to your innovative upper bout extension
    as a Bayonet. Admins ought to make this thread into a sticky, so we can always find it when the next Neck Dive post appears. *grins

brazilnut, Sosu2211, Dude and 3 others like this.
  19. Biddlin

You just gave him his marketing gimmick, Col., The SG Bayonet! $29.95 or Four for $100.

Layne Matz, brazilnut and Dude like this.
  20. sg jones

sg jones Member

unnamed.jpg unnamed.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy pic but I'm a little fuzzy too..........

brazilnut, Girl_Rock, Dude and 5 others like this.