SG neck dive solution

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chiefhibachi1, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

He wasn't replying to you.
    He was responding to this post from SG Jones where he has picture of a 12.5 lb barbell plate hanging off a strap. If you think that's a practical solution, more power to you, but I'm with the kid.

2. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

My mistake. I didn't see the quote he was referring to. Nothing practical about that solution but the humor.

3. Chiefhibachi1

Chiefhibachi1 New Member

I'm going to have to change my avatar now. GO PATS!!

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Personally I can see how this might appeal to someone who is not used to playing SGs, because it places the guitar in a position similar to many other guitars. One of the issues with SGs is that the neck joint is further toward the fretting hand than on many other guitars, giving good high fret access but making the low frets feel further away. It also contributes to the neck dive.

Seeing as your tuners are lighter than what was originally on there my other suggestion would have been to relocate the bridge end strap button so as to counteract the tilt. Not sure how well this would work though if you are having problems with the stock neck button on a HP, as I know they are on the horn. I suspect the real issue is the weight of the HP neck. If your solution works and you are happy with it then that's great.

In Tampa and Chiefhibachi1 like this.
  5. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

would put some weight on the strap work, my sg dives just a little bid and I was thinking about doing that, but I`m not sure this would have any effect.

the idea would be to but a little bag attached to the strap of the guitar on my back where I would put my wireless transmitter, while not using the wireless I would put a little scuba diving sand bag, like 1 kg or even less.

what do you guys think, might it work?

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A famous SG enthusiast. 5'2" tall, 100 lbs. Why doesn't he experience "neck dive?"

arcticsg likes this.
  7. Gillean

I really want that answer!

8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

What does his height have to do with it? Are you suggesting that, because his SG is a few inches closer to the planet, the pull of gravity is stronger? The guitar needs to balance around his neck, regardless of it's altitude.

What does his weight have to do with it? It's a question of the guitar's balance!!! not the guitarist's weight. Did anyone ever suggest obesity as a solution to neck dive? :rolleyes:

You only have to read this thread to realise that some SGs don't seem to neck dive, others do, but their owners deal with it in ways that range from buying a wider strap to selling their SG. The pertinent question is not why this 'famous SG enthusiast' apparently doesn't experience neck dive, but why there are comparatively so few 'SG enthusiasts' amongst famous guitarists? Perhaps neck dive is the answer...

9. Biddlin

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Assuming that you are serious, and in other cases that would be a stretch, off the top of my head:
    Tony Iommi
    John Cippolina
    Jerry Garcia
    Carlos Santana
    George Harrison
    Robby Krieger
    Sam Andrew
    Frank Zappa
    Frank Marino
    Derek Trucks
    Elliot Easton
    Pete Townshend
    Jimi Hendrix
    Daron Malakian
    Mick Taylor
    I know I'm missing quite a few and didn't even throw in Eric Clapton
    Get over it, neck dive is 99.99% psychogenic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    sg jones likes this.
  10. Dave_Death

Obesity is a pretty good solution to neck dive, actually. If your gut gets in the way ...

Seriously though Angus Young would not put up with a poorly balanced SG for five minutes. I some how doubt that he spends a large proportion of his income on just one guitar every now and then that he was able to get for a good price on an ebay auction but has never held in his hands before buying ...

58pit likes this.
  11. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

I agree Biddlin. I've never really voiced my opinion on this before but I don't experience a neck dive problem. I generally always play standing up, even practise standing up 99% of the time. I use the same kind of strap for my SG as I do with all my guitars, a 2 1/2" (6cm) wide plain leather strap. It doesn't tug at my clothes. My SG came stock with heavy Grover tuners & they're still on it. They certainly wouldn't be if I was having neck dive issues. I do have to support the neck if I lean over to adjust a pedal, but I only usually ever adjust the delay pedal, any others I may use are set & forget & its not hard to support the neck for the few seconds it takes to adjust a pedal. I often take both hands off the guitar between songs, no problem, so I don't get the neck dive thing. Does this phenomenon occur more so with some SG's than others or something??? Cheers

Edit; oh, well that explains why I don't experience the neck dive Dave Death, my "beer gut" is kinda getting to be a noticeable feature. Cheers

Didds likes this.
  12. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

I'm sure this has been touched in this thread before, but my solution would just be to buy lighter tuners and perhaps put a bigsby or vibrola on. Something to add weight to the bottom while still being part of the guitar.

Biddlin and ivan H like this.
  13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    The trouble is, you're listing plenty of players who stopped playing Gibson SGs during their careers, like Santana (Yamaha SGs don't neck dive - they're nicely balanced), Townsend or Zappa (who had Roxy, then Babysnakes, a non-Gibson SG), or players who very rarely played them, like Harrison (wasn't it just one Beetles gig?) & Hendrix. You couldn't throw in Clapton - he only played one after he got fed up with having his LPs nicked, and he stopped playing it within a couple of years & took up with Strats - and has stayed with them ever since. You're also listing players who are on record as talking about SG as having neck-dive issues!, like Trucks, who finds he can keep it in check with his right arm (which suits his playing style). So is Derek Truck's neck-dive psychogenic? Better tell him, so he can relax his right arm a bit. :rofl:

AGAIN, what is remarkable about the SG is the relatively small number of famous long-term SG players ('enthusiasts'), compared to Strats, Teles, & even LPs which, after all, were once discontinued due to their unpopularity. When honestly edited your list is remarkably short, thanks for proving my point.

Wait. Neck dive is psychogenic??? :hmm: just, WTF???
    When you're joking, include one of these :smile: so we all know. Otherwise you sound like a lunatic that thinks gravity is all in the mind. Or is it? Do you & your SG's headstock levitate? We need pics!

Like I keep saying Biddlin;
    not every SG has neck-dive,
    not every owner experiences neck-dive,
    not everyone who experiences neck-dive is bothered by it,
    those that are bothered often find solutions that work or just 'put up with it',
    others sell their SGs & never look back,
    while some guitarist never get into SGs at all because the neck-dive on one put them off.

Why be a neck-dive-denier when there's so much evidence to the contrary?

Chiefhibachi1 and Dave_Death like this.
  14. Biddlin

Mais que nada- The gravity of the so-called problem is due no more wasted time.

15. Biddlin

Seriously, though, I'll bet Angus doesn]t even think about it.

16. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Well you know how the story goes. Sell your soul to Satan and become a famous rock god....and have no neck dive.....

But seriously though, I think I have the answer.
    Angus Young, in the earlier years, was known to have his wireless pack attached to the back of his guitars, at one point he cut a chunk out of the back of one of his guitars to store it there. Just a thought :naughty:

17. Dave_Death

Neck dive is like global warming ... it's just a liberal conspiracy

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

19. Gillean

it is very very very silly to say it does not exist. You might say it does not apply to all SGs, or to all players body shapes (I imagine someone with a large back would have more traction over the strap, and thus, less neck diving problems).

flat earth congregation, anyone?

In Tampa, Dave_Death and SG standard like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There are a lot of very very VERY silly people in the world today........

SG standard likes this.