SG neck dive solution

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chiefhibachi1, Feb 3, 2017.

1. lcw

lcw Active Member

Zero neck dive on my '98. Can let go both hands and it stays perfectly balanced. Having the green key Kluson style tuners (were stock) probably helps. My SG weights 6.8 lbs if I recall, so not an overly heavy body.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

THE real solution.

[​IMG]

D.L. Luna and 58pit like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

No one said neck dive doesn't exist, I just say, unless you are physically impaired, anyone should be able to hold a 7-8 pound guitar on a strap without difficulty. The fact that the most frequent complainers seem to be guys that are in their prime amuses me, a disabled 64 soon to be 65 y.o.. I fight like hell to stand, open bottles and turn doorknobs, but somehow never have the problem of uncontrollable neck dive, in fact, never notice it, because I have both feeble hands on the guitar.

sg jones, Delboy, 58pit and 1 other person like this.
  4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I never notice neck dive either. Until I take my hands of certain guitars & their headstocks start dropping toward the floor!

Maybe my worst neck dive guitar culprit is that 2014 SG Standard. Despite it having a 3 inch suede leather strap the E-Tune unit on the headstock adds enough weight to send the headstock rushing toward the floor as soon as I take both hands off of it. But when playing it, there is no problem at all. In fact, it is one of the easiest playing guitars that holds me to no limits when it comes to playing what I want to play. Let the fret-board acrobatics begin! Ya know?

Anyway, Like I said, the only time I notice neck dive on that SG is when I take my hands off of it!

For the record: neck dive on my SG's?

2014 Gibson SG Standard Yes

1967 Gibson SG Melody Maker No
    1967 Gibson EB3 SG Bass No
    1968 Gibson Melody Maker III No
    1968/69 Gibson SG Standard No
    1971 Gibson SG Deluxe No
    2004 Gibson SG Standard
    No
    2005 Gibson SG Faded No
    2016 Epiphone 1275 SG Doubleneck No

Yes, that is honestly 1 out of 9 SG guitars!

Granted some of these could be argued but they are all based off the SG shape / body-style & give a good idea of the various variations on a theme having or not having neck dive issues.

Most of those guitars have a simple nylon cheapo strap & still have no dive. Some that might have been more prone than others to it were given a wider leather strap to solve the issue like the Epi 1275.

Yet despite that '14 SG Standard having a nice leather strap, it is simply the worst out of ALL MY GUITARS (yes even the non Gibson guitars I never talk about here. UH! Oh my) when it comes to actually diving Neck First when all hands are taken off it!

Still, 1 out of 9 is far from any consensus that ALL SG's have neck dive!

Just sayin.

gball likes this.
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

My 2017 SG Standard has no neck dive. And it came stock with locking Grovers.

The only SG I've had with appreciable neck dive was an SGJ, the others either none or small enough to ignore completely.

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Hands are for playing, not supporting.
    Balanced guitars...... balance. No holding the neck up with one hand. No clamping the body in place with an arm. No suede strap dragging your shirt across your shoulder. No neck dive. And it's simple to achieve.

An SG with neck dive is easy to balance:
    Lighter weight machine heads
    Move the rear strap button upwards
    Add weights to the body... etc.

Then again, if your hands are truly feeble, perhaps the exercise will do them good... Add some locking tuners, weight-relieve the body & use a teflon strap. Soon get your hands in shape.

Chiefhibachi1 likes this.
  7. Biddlin

So what technique do you use that the palm of the left hand is not supporting the neck? My hands are in the shape of most guy's who've worked with them for fifty years. I have no issue with playing and keeping track of my guitar at the same time, maybe you should learn to multitask!

sg jones likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Since this neck dive thread has become a turd that won't flush...

I never experience neck dive on any of my SG's.

Maybe because they are all Specials that have dot inlays?
    Could it be that dots probably weigh less than trapezoids or blocks?
    Also no hefty crown inlay on the headstock to weigh it down?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sg jones, syscokid, WavMixer and 2 others like this.
  9. SG standard

There you go again!

As I've already said: Not every SG neck dives, not everyone is bothered by their SG's neck dive, those that are deal with it in a variety of ways.

But you keep saying, in effect; 'I'm a feeble old man, and I can hold up an SG neck, why can't the rest of you be more like me?'

Why do you think everyone should be the same as you? Clearly there are plenty of professional guitarists who have had issues with neck dive; Iommi even moved the strap button to the tip of the upper horn! Others, like Clapton & Harrison soon gave away their SGs (though not necessarily due to neck dive). It's great for you that you can 'deal' with your SG's neck dive by holding up it's neck - perhaps it barely even dives, after all, your hand only has to deal with 0.01% of the neck dive, which really isn't any effort at all. - You did say: 'Get over it, neck dive is 99.99% psychogenic.' So I guess you deal with 99.9% of it in your head. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seems to be a classic 'baby boomers' quality; too wrapped up in their own self-importance, they never learned to cooperate & listen to others as the previous generation did in WWII. No wonder, as that generation has retired and passed away, the world has become more divided. No one is willing to listen to anyone else, unless they already share the same views. Everyone sees a difference in opinion as a failure, problem or issue that the other perrson has: You have to see it my way, or you're defective. Well, sorry Biddlin, but I don't see it your way - and I'd rather just share information that might be useful to others.

But, like I said before, it's great if someone doesn't experience neck-dive, or is happy to deal with it in whatever way works for them.

10. SG standard

Now you know why Gibson call them 'Special' :smile:

DrBGood and cerebral gasket like this.
  11. Biddlin

Perhaps I should have said,"Stop being such wimps," but you guys are so effin sensitive. By the way, the baby boomer remark is cute, but don't forget we still control the economy, because the latecomers keep suckling off of our ideas and capital. I wonder who you'll blame when we're gone?

12. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Would be a cool name for a band.. NECK DIVE!

Gahr and Biddlin like this.
  13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

But people would quarrel over whether or not it was a real band.:D

Hector and DrBGood like this.
  14. SG standard

Odd. Such considerations don't usually get in your way. Seeing as you're quoting me, I'll assume your 'sensitive' reference is aimed at me. Can you justify it? I don't think I've shown any evidence of being 'sensitive' to pathetic insults like that, or have I? As far as I'm concerned you can let loose with the insults, they'll just illustrate how barren arguments are. (Sure, I'm sensitive to people spouting BS!).

Also, care to explain how 'dealing with neck dive effectively and permanently' equates to 'being a wimp'? Seems more like a display of intelligence than a lack of machismo.

While you're at it, I'd still love to hear you explain what this bit of BS meant: 'Get over it, neck dive is 99.99% psychogenic.' :rolleyes:

Chiefhibachi1 likes this.
  15. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

Play sitting down and never have the problem again.

16. Biddlin

It's in plain English. I stand by it. Get over it! BTW, and I'm serious, if I had the kind of issues with a particular style of guitar's balance that you seem to have, I'd play a different kind of guitar.

Relic61 likes this.
  17. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Is that what's stinking up this thread!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sg jones likes this.
  18. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

All my SG's neck dive so bad I can't even reach the neck properly to fret chords.
    When gigging I have to employ someone to hold the end of the guitar up, it's so out of control. One time I had to use a mic stand to prop the neck up because I didn't have someone to hold it for me while I played.
    I only still play SG's because I'm such a big Angus fan.

19. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I just don't get into all the bashing but thought I'd share a conversation with a guitar center store manager I had yesterday. I was looking at the guitars on sale (as I always do whether buying or not) and noticed a few SGs on sale at really good discounts. I asked him why on sale and he said they are not moving well because the etune system makes SGs too prone to neck dive! When I heard that... I thought of this topic I had read and told myself I would share it when I get a chance. Those etuner setups are heavier and certainly make the SG more prone to head diving. All things being equal... if I am gigging or even just practicing where I am also singing... I'd rather have a guitar that I could occasionally let go of the neck without worrying about the neck diving. Now for me, it is a simple matter of using a wide leather strap but my SG doesn't have the heavy tuners.

Col Mustard and Relic61 like this.
  20. Biddlin

Tronical A type tuners and Grover Rotomatic tuners have IDENTICAL weight.