SG neck dive solution

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chiefhibachi1, Feb 3, 2017.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I really do not have any recordings with this guitar yet....but I can tell you....it sounds really good. With a clean amp you can really hear all the nuances of the 27 different pickup settings, not as much with distortion, but there is still some variance. Chris Robinson (former Black Crowes) uses Vox. He had a custom Vox Virage made for him. I believe this is his custom, and a stock SDC55 is on the couch. Prices have come down...grab one!!! [​IMG]

koaguilds likes this.
  2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I had a indonesian Vox SDC33 I ordered sight unseen from Music123.. Unfortunately the neck angle was bad/too shallow from the factory... the bridge was as low as it could go and the action was still very high. Tragic because the guitar was very nice otherwise. It looks and sounds like the korean made 55 series and up fared better. I'd really like one of the Japanese made 77 series or the top of the line Virage's...those are primo.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    jtees4 likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I love the bridges on those VOX.

jtees4 likes this.
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Exactly! Any good teacher will guide a student to ensure their guitar is in a balanced playing position, where their hands are free to play it, rather than support it. Some manufacturers will also ensure their guitars balance properly: When Yamaha reintroduced the SG range in 2010 they claimed modifications were based on feedback & requests from musicians who had asked them to produce custom made SGs for them since the range had been discontinued. And one modification was a slight reduction in headstock size, to improve balance - on a guitar with the weight of a Les Paul!

The trouble is, some people who've probably only ever experienced mild neck dive on their SGs assume that's what everyone is talking about - it isn't. Severe neck dive needs to be dealt with one way or another, else it will really restrict you're playing. Of course, if you're happy with that restriction.... that's fine too. Just don't expect everyone to feel the same. ;)

@Harmonica Stan, thanks for posting the shot of your SG's back - judging by that I'd say the original strap position is significantly back from my '16 HP. I wonder how much variation there is between individual guitars?

Glad you've got it sorted to your satisfaction - now carry on enjoying that beautiful SG... :)

Worblehat and In Tampa like this.
  5. Mass Defect

Mass Defect New Member

Got a 16 HP as well. And the neck dive was a problem for me since I was used to superstrats being well balanced and staying put. I replaced the robot tuners with vintage style grovers and it made a great difference. Before the neck would point slightly towards the floor. Now, it just hangs 90 degrees.

Had to adjust my playing since I didn't want to mess up with putting holes on the guitar.

6. sazista

sazista Active Member

Attached Files:

7. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Surprised it had neck dive with the Maestro. Nice guitar though!

8. mike harrison

mike harrison New Member

I've read several threads on neck dive and fretboard rolling to the ground. I have the same issue with recently purchased 2008 SG'61. I found by using a wide suede strap and hooking over the upper horn.....problem solved..No drilling required just pass the strap from existing straplock over the upper horn (hooking it) and then onto your shoulder it pulls the fretboad upright to a neutral position as if you had a strap fastener there. The solution doesn't alter the guitar or cost anything to do.................

jtees4 likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

10. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Hi guys, I haven't read all the posts here but has someone mentioned the clothes? My Epi has problems of neck dive but if I play it wearing, for example, a hoodie I have no probs. Maybe because my "volume" is larger and it seems like if the strap is shorter. Now, I don't know how can materials influence the phisic and the gravity, but it seem to work. A leather strap reduces the neck dive more than a cheaper normal strap (in my opinion and I think someone said this too), you should try. My Gibson (with leather strap) has no problems of neck dive.

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Friction.

Rough surface such as leather strap will create more friction and prevent objects from sliding reducing neck dive.

12. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Funny you mention this. I have the same experience. When wearing a thick hoodie the neck dive is completely gone. Unfortunately I sweat pretty easy when playing guitar (it's like a good workout) so I still tend to just wear a thin t-shirt. Unfortunately a grippy strap does not help as much with a t-shirt as it just pulls down the shirt from the shoulder (not enough friction between shirt and body).

Girl_Rock likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I hope @Raiyn gets these updates on this now ancient thread. Anyone made or purchased their own SG bayonet? Been playing my N225 and Les Pauls a lot lately but strapped on a SG Special last night and still no neck dive.

14. DrBGood

Think outside the box. Just tried this, works wonders. You can dance all you want, the guitar isn't going anywhere.

Either through your pants belt loop.

Strap et ceinture 2.jpg
    Or just under the pants belt.

Strap et ceinture 1.jpg
    If you don't wear pants with a belt, maybe you shouldn't be playing a SG :rofl:

15. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Nice idea...haven't seen this one before :thumb:

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

But I like to play in my dashiki....

17. DrBGood

Tss tss tss ...

18. Scott L

Scott L New Member

I have a 2016 with the strap botton at the back of the upper horn. Neck dive wasn't bad but enough to annoy me and to want to put my guitar back down. I bought a Fender Suede strap with a 2.5'' end and a narrower end the other side. By accident found that attatching the narrower end to the upper horn button, and looping it around/underneath the horn so that it holds it works really well. Best non-destructive solution I have found anyway.

19. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Until it wears through the finish

20. Scott L

Scott L New Member

Fair point... it is worn cherry anyway though. I'll keep an eye on it!