Sg pickguard measurements

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by blacknko, Dec 6, 2017.

1. blacknko

blacknko New Member

Hello
    First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to this question or if the question has been answered many times. I did a search and did not found the answer.
    After 25 years playin guitar I'm gonna buy my dreamed guitar, wich is not other than a standard sg. I cound'nt afford one in the past, so this is gonna be my first real sg.
    I am a left handed, so I have less options than many of you.
    I see that the 2017 and 2018 models has the small pickguard but I was wondering if it is possible to change it for the largest one in case I want in the future.
    Does the standard 2017 sg has the exact body shape and distance between pickups than a sg with the largest pickguard (a 2005 model, for example)? is the distande between the neck pickup and the fretboard the same?
    Thank you so much for helpping!!

2. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    The 2017 Standards are superb guitars right down to their angel wings. I wouldn't replace it.

What have you been playing in the meantime?

There are many custom pickguard vendors and some of them provide templates. I recommend printing one out and carefully measuring (I speak from experience). You can also contact them directly for their advice. I have a 2017 Faded with a full batwing. I'm not sure if you'd be interested or if it fits but I'm hoping to replace mine with a wooden pickguard and once I do I'd certainly pass this one on to you for very little.

M

blacknko likes this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

If you really like the large pick guard (batwing), you might want to have a thorough search for a 2016 Standard. I recently saw some at clearance prices in the UK, so you may find yourself a great deal if anyone near you still has any stock.

As for converting, I seem to recall a few people have done this, so one may well comment here on what's involved, or you might find threads on the subject if you do a forum search.

blacknko likes this.
  4. blacknko

blacknko New Member

Thank you so much for the answers. Well, I donĀ“t know if I like more the batwing or the small pickguard. Just wondering if both of them would fit in a 2017 standard. The 2016 you have seen in the uk are lefties?
    Drown, my main guitar since around 20 years has been a korean made Sheraton.
    I have the option to buy a 2017 standard or to wait until I see a used Lefty standard with the batwing. But I know this is a cosmetical thing and both of them are pretty, so I prefer to buy a the best standard sg I can, not only because of the pickguard. Just wandering if the body shape, spacings, etc are the same, because an sg standard with batwing and another with the small pickguars looks different to my eye, and I don't know why.
    pd; So, the 2017 model worths every penny?
    Thanks!

5. drown

drown Well-Known Member

2017 models are rock solid by most estimates. It's a good year. 2018 models went up by quite a bit of $$ for essentially the same guitar, less the 61 pickups. Get a '17 for the money.

blacknko likes this.