Sg sold by Best Buy?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Ronni, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Ronni

Ronni New Member

Hello. I’m new here. I’m hoping you folks could clear something up for me. I just learned about the sg 50’s tribute having been sold by Best Buy a few years back. First question...how can that be?” How does that not mess with their dealers? Also heard they sold for 400. Anyone know about this? If it’s bull or if you’ve already covered this let me know.

2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

For a short period of time Best Buy attempted to get into the music gear space. My local Best Buy had Gibson guitars and Marshall amps among other things

3. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

What Dave said. I remember when they decided to get out of selling musical instruments and had some great clearance prices on good guitars and amps. I didn't get anything though.

Dale likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Not $400, but $200 CAD. But I couldn't find one. 6 months later there was many on local ads for $800.

5. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

In retrospect, the only really "good deals" were if you could pay cash.
    Only the stuff they had in the store was available and somewhat negotiable.
    At the end, you could go in, check out what they had left,
    and if you were interested in it, you could make a note of its price and condition,
    then leave and search the internet to see if it was a good deal,
    then call back on the phone and make an offer to the manager.
    If they had a $900 demo SG for $600, you might could get it for $400 or so.
    It was exciting and you had to be ready to pounce.
    And you had to be careful not to get stuck with a dud.
    No Returns !

6. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada New Member

7. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I bought my 2014 SG J in 2015 on clearance for $392 Canadian and that was AFTER taxes! FB_IMG_1568561424744.jpg

Dave and PixMix like this.
  8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

SWEET!

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes, the legend is true... Best Buy of Canada must have made some kind of warehouse deal with Gibson or with one of their distributors, because they had some deals which made me wonder if a road trip was indicated.

I live in Michigan, so we travel South to get to Canada... *grins (or at least Ontario)... I hate "Imperial Entanglements" so the thought of trying to smuggle my new Canadian Best Buy SG back across the border kind of gave me the heebie Jeebies...

I thought wildly of getting a beat up empty case, and
    knocking a few dings into the SG with a brick before I put it in the case... "oh that old thing? I've had that for years..."

Sorta like tryin' to get a new guitar into the house without SWMBO knowing it's there. Biddlin's "guitar camo" concept:
    Guitar Camo 2@100.jpg
    Good luck with that... but in the end, the consensus on
    these boards was that it might be an illusion created by sales staff at BB, hoping to get hungry musicians coming into the store. A few of our Canadian members (like shreddy) were actually able to get one, but most posts that I saw said they were "out of stock."

So I believe the legend was actually true, but they disappeared fast. Too bad too, because the Gibson SG
    "Fifties Tribute" was simply one of Gibson's most desirable models they've ever made. SG with P-90s is one of the classic tones, and one of the best. Add to that the FACT that Gibson stamped the back of the headstock on these models with the word "prototype" and you've got a rare and cool and special guitar...

So I'm not surprised that they are offered for more than they cost originally. I don't know how many were made, but I'd love to have one. Ignore all discussions of finish or color or decorations... none of that means a thing. The SG with P-90s is a rock machine that can play many other genres with panache, and these specially marked
    "Prototypes" seem like extra cool to me.

I wish I'd located a Canadian BB that had one, and paid for it over the phone, and driven my hard pressed '08 Minivan into the Dominion, down the Queen's Highway and picked it up. Aye weel...
    At that price, all you need do was get it home and get it set up properly and rock.
    No such thing as a dud at that price. It's all setup ...once you've paid the bill.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM