SG Special 60's Tribute Experiences?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by minotaur, Feb 21, 2012.

1. minotaur

minotaur Member

I can't get the monkey off my back. That monkey is in the form of the Gibson SG Special 60's Tribute that I (and YOU too) can currently pick up for 15% off regular price of $799. That's the model with the P-90's...and I don't have P-90's on anything. I have enjoyed playing on P-90's on past box store excursions. The price point seems great. Can't go wrong with the red...but the natural finish is appealing to me in a different way...and I have a red '61 RI in a red finish as it is. Here's a link to said guitar:

Gibson Limited Edition SG Special '60s Tribute (Worn Natural) | Sweetwater.com

For those with experience with this guitar, can you provide feedback on your impressions? I need to purchase it today to get the 15% off, or walk away for the time being. Do I want to just live, or live LARGE? :)

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's a like a newer version of the classic 60's SG Special, which was a tone monster. This was one of the few guitars that I liked last timeI was at GC.
    You'll like it a lot!

3. minotaur

minotaur Member

Good to know you liked it, thanks for feedback!

4. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I have the same one (in Natural) and I love it. It sounds just like my two P-90 Classics but the neck is slimmer.

5. minotaur

minotaur Member

Sweet, thanks. I thought you had one - you put witch hats on it didn't you, and bought it from a student? If so I remember that thread.

6. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

She can be sweet, clean and articulate, but when she wants to get nasty she'll make you feel dirty. Be careful, she's a temptress.

Make sure you get the best color!

[​IMG]

The neck is certainly thinner than big rounded necks most SG's come with these days, but it's definitely not '61 speed neck thin. It's a nice median IMO.

7. Kevy Nova

That's it! I'm surprised you remembered because *I* don't even remember posting that! :applause:

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

She can also play jazz - I've used P90's on lots of jazz gigs, not that that matters in the big picture. It just shows that both humbucker and P90 SG's are capable of a wide variety of sounds, of course mostly depending on what you plug them into!

9. minotaur

minotaur Member

I found a guy online selling one of these used. His reason for selling it is because in his words the P90 pickups "make too much noise". Hmm, I wonder what that is supposed to mean. Too "messy", "crunchy", not clean enough? Couldn't navigate the amplifier? I thought these were supposed to be more edgy than humbuckers.:dunno: Crazy kids....

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

P90's are not humbuckers, so like all single-coil pickups they have some 60 cycle hum and can pickup other electronic noises, so it's possible compared to humbuckers that to him the pups "make too much noise".

11. Kevy Nova

Yes, dbb is right. When you are plugged in but not playing, they hum just like a Fender or any other guitar with single coil pickups. Of course, you don't hear it when you are playing, so it doesn't bother me at all. I'll gladly take a little hum between songs for that TONE during the songs.

Hairless_Ape likes this.
  12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I just turn my volume pedal off between songs with single coils. Heck even with humbuckers if I have a distortion sound. If I'm on a "simple" gig I turn off the guitar volume. No hum except when music is happening.

One day I'll teach the P90's the words so they don't have to just hum.

13. Clump

Clump Member

Had mine a couple of months. It quickly became my #1
    [​IMG]

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Very cool...so it became #1 guitar that fast, huh? It looks like they got the bevels right too.

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I tried out the 60s tribute SGs and have nothing but good things to say about them. For the money, I think they are a good buy and with the 15% off deal, even better. I am a huge fan of P90 pups and that noise the guy was referring to is exactly what I love about P90s. I was going to buy one till I tried out the 60s tribute goldtop Les Pauls and went with one of those instead. Before I get kicked off the forum though, I do have an SG classic that I love and an SG special faded with ebony board so I am a big SG fan of course :dude:

16. Kevy Nova

Clump, that looks just like mine except I put witch hats on it and it still has the single ply guard. Where did you get that pickguard?

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

omg... G.A.S... cain't stop drooolin' on my keyboard... that's a lovely SG...
    I wish I had a little more money to throw down... look out! the Kernel's throwin' down! ...I love the natural wood look... and I don't have anything with P-90s...
    but I'll have to resist and be mature... Mastercard, get me outa here.

18. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

You'll get nothing but :thumb::thumb: on these from me!

[​IMG]

Kev, the pickguards are from Jeannie Pickguards on eBay. Great quality and super-quick turnaround time.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  19. Clump

Clump Member

:thumb:

20. Clump

Clump Member

I did a couple of cosmetic mods to suit my taste (reflectors, PG, SG TRC) and replaced the tiny ceramic caps with PIOs and I'm done. I love to tinker, but it's so good there's nothing left to do.

Seriously if I could only keep 1 guitar this would be it.

Hairless_Ape likes this.