SG Special 60's Tribute Experiences?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by minotaur, Feb 21, 2012.

1. minotaur

minotaur Member

Yeah Clump, very nice setup. I noticed the pickguard and SG trem rod cover too, very nice touches. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum! I like the personal touches, especially the pickguard both you and Hammer have done. If I pull the trigger on a 60'sT I should wait for that mod, and that would be me being mature in this case (:)'s for the Col.). I just want to explore the soundscapes the P-90 has to offer, devil be damned!:thumb:

2. minotaur

minotaur Member

I thoroughly enjoy your words above...why do I envision Chazz Michael Michaels when I read them? Is this you? :thumb:
    [​IMG]

3. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

Damn it, you're not helping my GAS. I have been DROOLING over those 60's Studio GT's. Thanks a lot!!! :thumb:

That looks absolutely gorgeous Hammer. I originally wanted a white one, but I couldn't pass up the ridiculous deal I got on mine from Sweetwater.

LMAO...now I can't stop hearing his voice when I read it. :laugh2:

4. SGspecial

SGspecial Well-Known Member

I love mine. I've owned dozens of SG's over a period of decades. I think the Tribute is one of the best guitars I've owned. I'm thinking seriously about buying a second one.

Mine is on the right in the picture below:
    [​IMG]

5. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

DAMN...that Jeannine Pickguards is a rip-off. I'll buy some blanks and cut one myself.

6. minotaur

minotaur Member

Nice, and welcome to the forum. You guys sure make it easy for a fella to part with his hard-earned money for one of these.

So how much will you sell them for, because sooner or later I'd like one and I sure as heck won't spend a 1/2 day of my time trying to make one like what they have to offer. Seriously. And not so seriously - can you make one out of illegal whale bone?

7. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

$68 from those folks for the 5-ply. I'm gonna e-mail PickGuardian.com. They list $25 for the single wing HB pickguard. Hopefully they have the option for P-90.

8. minotaur

minotaur Member

Still holding out... Don't know... How long... I will last... The jones comes and goes... Dear Lord give me strength... Or lotsa money so it is no object!

9. Clump

Clump Member

PickGuardian wants $37 + shipping. I would not have paid the new Jeannie price, but I got it un-used second hand for $50.

10. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

Man, when did pickguards get so expensive? Replacement Fender guards never cost that much.

11. minotaur

minotaur Member

Well, I done did it. I bought one off fleabay, here's the item auction:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I was looking for worn natural for something different (I already have a white standard), but I couldn't deny the way this one has already been setup (assuming the guy knows his stuff) is a huge plus, it comes with a hard case, and the price was the best I've seen (for any of this model) to date. The knob swap is pretty cool too. I have the "I just spent a pile of money" jitters for another guitar that I could live without, but WTH, you never know what day will be your last on this planet!:dude:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    Kevy Nova, Hammer and Hairless_Ape like this.
  12. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

Well than pickguardian really needs to update the prices on their website.

You ain't kidding. I normally order all my puckguards through a guy selling on Amazon. They're always in the $15 range.

13. Kevy Nova

nice!!!!!!!

14. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Live without? No you can't. Just wait til it shows up at your door. :laugh2:

minotaur likes this.
  15. PostVillasBlues

PostVillasBlues Member

congrats! post pictures when it arrives! :thumb:

minotaur likes this.
  16. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I think you got an excellent deal on that one. Looking forward to seeing pics and a report once you get it.

minotaur likes this.
  17. minotaur

minotaur Member

Well, I received the guitar on Friday, two days ago. I haven't made a post around here since then because I seriously haven't put the thing down. I am in awe at the guitar you can get for the pricepoint of the 60's Tribute. Every other SG I have I have spent more than twice that which I spent on this 60'sT (of course this was used, nonetheless...).

I won't have pictures up until I get my computer tuned up because it is so slow to work on these days. But, it's white like Hammer's with the reflector knobs but with the stock pickguard. I really like the finish as it's different than my others. The grain profile/contours show through, it's matte and not shiny, and feels good. It feels like it will wear in well, and almost begs to be really used and broken in - more like it would "wear down" before a finish coat "chip" mishap. I will keep it as it is for now, but if I was artistically inclined it would make a nice Fool candidate. But I digress back to the playability....

Yes, it has that "crunch" to it. I realize why I didn't appreciate the sweet sounds of the P-90's when I played one at GC because I didn't have it cranked up where it seems to become more vibrant. But I tell you, again, as many already know, it plays right in there with the higher-dollar SG's. I mean it, it is a great guitar for someone who wants to enter the SG fold with just getting your big toe wet and not diving in. I am so happy with it. Maybe it's not as sexy as the nitro finished red SG's, but that doesn't matter when your eyes are closed and you are by yourself digging the sweet sounds that come out of it - if it ever matters at all. This specific guitar happens to be set up with 9's, and my only SG (or guitar for that matter) set up with 9's. The rhythm setting sounds great - as all of the settings really do. I haven't played one of these not "set up", but this one was, and it plays like butter, very smooth with sweet bends and ringing tone. I don't hear too much "noise" coming out from it, yeah if you leave it on the stand with the amp on it might start to sing a bit after awhile by itself, but it doesn't sound like excessive feedback or the like. I play my guitars primarily through a 50W Crate 12" tube amp, without any effects.

I'm not trying to build it up as the best guitar out there, but I sure as heck enjoy it. A P-90 guitar is a must-have arrow in any guitarist's quiver. Thanks for the input from you guys, you were right about how nice they are, especially for the money - money well spent.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    Hammer likes this.
  18. intothevoid1007

intothevoid1007 New Member

First post in a real long time (had to create a new account bc i couldn't remember the email address or password of my original account, IntoTheVoid). I just moved to Denver last month, and was looking around craigslist for work in the area, when i thought to myself, what the heck, i'll look to see if anyone has any cool instruments for sale...I found a red 60's SG Tribute for an absolute steal! Now i find myself in a spot where i can either sell my SG Faded with Iommi Pickups (yea, right!) or my Takamine acoustic to fund this guitar purchase...needless to say, this guitar has been my absolute dream guitar since i first noticed it came out, i NEED to have a 60's style, P-90s-small pickguard SG ever since i had to sell my '66 JR...i really hope this guitar is as great as everyone says it is, going to check out this guitar soon, and hopefully i'll have pictures to post once i get it!

19. Kevy Nova

Congrats minotaur, I knew you'd love it. I love my natural finish 60s Tribute. If I could afford it, I have one of each color!

minotaur likes this.
  20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

jeanie gets a lotta bad reviews from players, but it looks good on yr guitar... go figure