SG Special 60's Tribute Experiences?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by minotaur, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Yea, I Googled the living crap out of him before I ordered and a lot of the bad reviews I read had a tinge of bad attitude to them, so I figured I would gamble. It paid off and the guy was nothing but congenial and communicative throughout the entire, albeit very quick, process and answered every question I had without even the slightest hint of annoyance. :dunno:

As far as price, I didn't mind paying it. I ordered mine as soon as it was available to be ordered, so there weren't many people, if any, spitting out a replacement guard without sending a trace or the original guard, and my hand isn't the steadiest, so it was worth it to me.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

congrats on the new guitar! Everyone needs at least one P90 loaded guitar. Nothing like it thru a good tube amp cranked where it starts really giving you that crunch.

minotaur and Kevy Nova like this.
  3. nathan

nathan New Member

I've got one in worn ebony. got a5 ply pick guard from wd. looks too flat with just the black single ply.

i think the neck pickup needs to be wound a bit lower. a bit hard to get a good balance between the two when they're wound the same. in fact, the neck pickup on mine is registers a bit higher on the meter. it sounds ace though. but i can't help wondering what a lower wound neck would sound like. like maybe in the low 8k's instead of mid 9s

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I'm starting to think the one I tried in the store was defective or something because I thought it felt really light and toy-like compared to my SG Special

5. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

Mine is quite a bit lighter than my Standard.

6. nathan

nathan New Member

mine too. and it does feel toy-like. but sounds gnarly

7. old mark

old mark Active Member

RE;P90 "noise"-they pick up the 60 cycle hum when there is no signal through them. If you lay your hand across the strings when not playing, you ground them and the hum stops.

I have a Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute with P90's and that SG looks just great to me...maybe late in summer for my birthday...

mark

8. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

Agreed, on both counts. My '11 SG Melody Maker is actually heavier.

9. nathan

nathan New Member

got the wdmusic pick guard, some old chrome top knobs and cream switch tip to break up the pure black face.

[​IMG]

Mick and Kevy Nova like this.
  10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Looks great - WD does nice work.

11. Gorquin

Gorquin New Member

Tribute

Clump, that is one great looking SG ! !

I think I need one! LOL:applause:

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Niiiiice.

13. Gorquin

Gorquin New Member

It works because the bridge is grounded and when you touch the strings the hum stops....BUT...if you play in an old club and have to use an AC adapter than lifts the ground and you're P.A. is the same you could have a 120VAC potential between your mic and guitar....BAM !

I've never tried it on a P90 but on Strat pups I wind copper tape around the windings and run a strip to the pup neg lead, line the pup cavity with copper tape etc. It doesn't cut out all of the hum but it does help. I also put a resistor or cap between the bridge wire and ground to isolate me from an AC accident.

14. Snowblind

Snowblind New Member

Last week Sweetwater had the worn natural and the worn ebony finishes for $699 (including their free shipping and free 2 year warranty they add in there). That is the same price as they regularly offer for the SG Special Faded line.

I just bought a guitar so I didn't have the money :(