SG Special: Is it normal bridge hasn't Notches?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by asquinet, Apr 4, 2020.

1. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

Mojoaxe makes great stuff. I have one of their intonated wraps on my goldtop.

cerebral gasket and asquinet like this.
  2. asquinet

asquinet Member

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try to do in the next hours and I'll let you know the progress :thumb:

3. asquinet

asquinet Member

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. asquinet

asquinet Member

Yes, even from the photos it seems so...When emergency will be over :rolleyes::rolleyes: I will buy!

jonnyfez likes this.
  5. asquinet

asquinet Member

Hello everybody! I tried to adjust the bridge distance with a lot of back and forth and here are the results. Although G string is always a little bit up tone, the rest of tuning I think is fine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your attention and for your precious suggestions!

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Now is a good time to check nut height. Now, instead of comparing open with octave, use open and first fret. Both should be in tune, but obviously adjacent notes, eg, E and F. If you find that the fretted note plays sharp, your nut is too high and needs filing down. If you are new to the game, this is probably not something you should tackle, because one stroke of the file too many will mean a trip to a guita tech. You can easily do the test though. Good luck.

asquinet and Satellitedog like this.
  7. asquinet

asquinet Member

You projected me in a new trip (or maybe in a potential nightmare...). But really in these days I have many time!
    So I took the test. Without taking many photos, I can tell you that bass E is problematic. On the F (first fret) the deviation is +25 percent (sharp) ... therefore decreasing on F #, decreasing on G, and on G # (fourth fret) you get a zero deviation ....
    On the A and D string, the first fret has +10 percent (lower than E Bass, Sharp) and zero deviation on the THIRD fret (better than the Ebass string).
    On the first fret of the G string, acute but inferior to D; and so on, down to E thin (almost imperceptible). After the third key (lower fourth E) the pitch is OK on all strings, on all frets.
    Doctor, is it serious?
    Let's go... I have to file the notches of the nut, I suppose.... a little, time after time, stop, measure, file again little, time after time, stop, measure.... If I file too much, I risk to put the string more close at the first fret...Is it the right work?
    I have quite skill on these kind of works, but sometime the common sense and goodwill are not enough... Have you please some tip for this?
    Thanks!

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Your approach is the right one. Slowly, slowly. Check each time. Also look at the string as you fret it. You will be able to see how high the nut is in this way. If you can get the error down to 5 cents, leave it there and don't try for more.

asquinet likes this.
  9. asquinet

asquinet Member

Thank you, in the next hours I will go! Stay tuned:smile:

10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice,

asquinet likes this.
  11. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

Funny how isolation makes you think back to better times. I recently remembered my forgotten 1968 SG Special. It had a bad jack and I dropped it off at a local repair shop, in my hazmat suit and he replaced it with one that has a double prong set up inside. Back to playing it and loving it. I have several newer Sgs but love the tone. Seeing your post i looked at mine and i have owned it since 1969. Mine has notches on the bridge. I checked and they are all slightly skewed to the right, which lines up perfectly with the nut and has both E strings in perfect position on the neck. I haven't played this for at least 5 years and the intonation is perfect on both e strings and just slightly sharp on the b string as good as you will get . I noticed you also have a replacement screw on the vibrolo. I lost mine a well . Could the bridge have been changed. Sorry i haven't read all the posts. After all these years I can't believe how good it sounds. I am a noise freak and hated the inherent p90 hum. But with my Furman conditioned power supply pedal board and fulltone pedals i have absolutely no hum.

asquinet likes this.
  12. Gtr-Tek

Gtr-Tek New Member

Good move on removing the vibrola. The string position will be much more stable. DrBeGood is correct, slack the strings first before making adjustments. There are also some fully intonatable bridges that will fit without modification. You will just have to wait until things get more back to normal. Beautiful example you have! It appears to be very low mileage.

asquinet likes this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My Les Paul Junior has the same bridge, not notched saddles

[​IMG]

asquinet likes this.
  14. jk67SG

jk67SG New Member

I keep a .32 caliber brass barrel brush and short handle with my tools, fits snugly in the 1/4" jack with a twisting motion. Take the control plate off so you can see it penetrate until it comes in contact with the jack center contact and twist around a couple of times... cleans off decades of oxidation without removing any plating on the contacts. Still have the original jack in my '67 SG.

If you need to clean the 3 way open contact pickup switch, look for a relay contact burnishing tool... has extremely light abrasive (doesn't feel like it's abrasive at all to the touch), run it back and forth between the contacts a few times and try to remember where it is for the next 8-10 years for the next time you need it. Cleaning these kind of contacts is exactly what this tool is made for.

You won't need a hazmat suit to use either of these.

asquinet likes this.
  15. asquinet

asquinet Member

Thank you! Do you mean the screw of vibrola lever, would be a single cut and not cross-shape? Probably, really I don't know, I found it as you seen ...
    Obiouvsly P90 are noiser than Humbucker, but the sound makes forgive it!
    And we are curious to see your Special 68!: Smile:

16. asquinet

asquinet Member

Yes indeed, removing the Vibrola is the best thing (evidently Townshend and friends did not it for beauty...)... Now I must stop with nut adjusting, since my wife droved me to paint a room (taking advantage of emergency...) but after or before I will work on again....
    Thanks for the appreciation!:smile:

17. asquinet

asquinet Member

Thank you for your tip...I already made the claeaning on jack with a little splice of sandpaper n° 1000. For pots the usual contact cleaner spray; switch did not need of cleaning and I preferred do not.

18. Zman28

Zman28 New Member

Yes i have all the cleaning supplies, but i haven't touched the guitar in 5 years. I had chemo and lost the feeling in my fingertips. Neuropathy. After six years the feeling has come back and the cancer has not. When i plugged it in I had a lot of static and noise when I moved the guitar. I pulled the cord and some black plastic pieces fell out of the jack. The hazmat suit was a joke. My guitar tech /music store is closed and only takes curb side pickup. He replaced the jack with a much sturdier one and i kept the original. The guitar is bone stock except for the vibrolo handle screw, plastic washer and now the input jack. A little contact spray and all of the pots and switches are smooth. I feel very lucky that i took a guitar techs sage advice in the 80s. I wanted to change it to an HB guitar, and he said not to. Just buy an HB guitar and leave this one alone. I am glad i did.

asquinet likes this.
  19. asquinet

asquinet Member

[QUOTE = "papagayo, post: 536449, membro: 10315"] Il mio Les Paul Junior ha lo stesso ponte, non selle dentellate
    Beautiful guitar! :)

[​IMG][/CITAZIONE]

20. asquinet

asquinet Member

Firstly many compliments for your win!:cheers:
    Now, enjoy your guitar, saved in eighties...I instead made a lot of nonsense in nineties: for example sold a 1960 Melody Maker, a 69 Deluxe GoldTop, a Tele of 70s...nobody adviced me instead... :(

Demon Dave likes this.