Sg Standard modern collection

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

Hello everyone, how are we? I have just joined and I hope to spend a lot of educationally fun times here.

My first question to open discussion is on the topic of the likelihood of price drops for the new modern collection range.

Especially the new lovely SG standard that sells at £1199...

So yeah basically what do you think is the likelihood of the price on these bad boys dropping? Or perhaps because it is not a yearly model the price might never drop?

Thanks everyone,

2. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

No-one?

3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Some dealers might do end of year price drops. I'd suggest looking at Reverb.com. You can find mint condition ones for really decent deals.

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You said it, since they're not yearly models anymore it's unlikely.

5. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

yeah, I thought I'd get bad news on this one but hey, they might come down later on...

6. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

The good deals are out there !
    Good luck !

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Welcome !

If you are in UK have a look to Thomann, Woodbrass, Euroguitar ... and eBay

8. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any significant price drops on the Standard but the Tribute models already sell for 800-900€ and I've seen the natural walnut one down to ~700€ at one point. So I guess even though these are long term models you still can expect some sales from time to time...

arcticsg likes this.
  9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I think that the "no-year" model concept will come back to bite them in the rear. The only reason for that is to keep the dealers and themselves (Gibson) from having to cut prices to unload product. It has nothing to do for us, the consumer. All I know if they don't change them up here and there, folks won't be buying new issues or models to often. At least not as often as us addicts do now :D

First off, parts will change over the years, and from year to year there will be differences no matter how hard they try. There will also be quality issues from time to time as well. And consumers and collectors will notice the little differences, and over time it will add up. Consumers will start to correlate these "groups" of inconstancies to a batch of serial numbers. Once something gets a bad rap it sticks. It will be better just to renew with a new year model. We will see as years past by. I'm betting this will pop up sooner than later.

Secondly, even though they are using a different serial format, we will all be able to know what year they are once enough data has been kept and sorted. I even have a feeling Gibson will voluntarily provide this info like Martin and others do.

And lastly, I believe there will still be price drops. It may take a little longer, and it may not be at the end of the year like we are all use to, but it will happen. Overstock is, well overstocked. :D

I'm coming to terms with the changes, lol. Im still hopeful they will come to their senses and stay true to the concept of the "Sg Standard" line and include the darn hard case. I'll just wait awhile to see how this all pans out before I buy any new releases. :smile:

SG standard likes this.
  10. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

I agree that not having yearly models will come back to bite them. Consumer psychology basically shoes that people want the latest and greatest things and the yearly model system exploited that very effectively. with out yearly models who goes to upgrade their guitars??

I do hope the prices go down on the new SG Standards, they have gotten great reviews in Total Guitar magazine. Also, I have played them and they are very good guitars. But yeah £1200 plus a soft case is a little too much for me just now, drop to £1000 and I may re-consider!

11. arcticsg

Yeah, I bet Chicago Music Exchange is p*ssed that their CME Exclusive SG Standard line came with that crappy softcase instead of a real hard case as Standards have always been shipped with (minus the 2016 mistake and was promptly corrected the next year)!

I would have bought the basic SG Standard and at least one of CME Exclusives if they had came with the hard case.

Oh, and I foresee prices dropping on this model, the SG Standard. At least until the get smart and add the hardcase.

Just my humble opinion of course. :smile:

12. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

haha you're on mylespaul aswell. I had deja vu reading that

13. arcticsg

Yep, you posted same question over there as well. Different user name though ;)

14. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

yep, more questions, more answers.... or maybe not.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You might think so, but they kept the same lineup from 1991 to 2012 and weren't losing sales.

16. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

You are probably right. This would be quite confusing for the costumers that care about little differences. Will be hard to track those down and identify models.

I currently wonder if there are any differences between the 2019 models and the newer no-year models. On paper and photos they seem to be identical but in some online stores they are listed separately, sometimes with different price tags...

17. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

I have recently come into a bit of money, it is over a grand.
    I was thinking of going for the new Gibson SG Standard and paying full price or waiting a bit for a good used one to make itself known.
    The only problem is it might be a while before I find the SG I want. (Batwing pick guard, rounded neck, cherry colour.)
    What do people think my best option and what I should do, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have three SG with thick rounded necks and batwings and purchased all of them second hand.

There is no need to be hemming and hawing over prices of new guitars. There are plenty of excellent guitars waiting to be had on the used market.

The SG Classic with P-90’s, thick rounded bound neck with dots and batwing is my all-time favorite SG. Most of them are finished in Cherry and few are finished in Ebony. I have one of each so no need to choose one over the other.

[​IMG]

I think your best option would be to get busy looking at second hand SG Standards if that is what you want. You should have no problem finding one finished in Cherry with a thick rounded neck and batwing as those are very abundant from what I have seen.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    PAFHumbucker likes this.
  19. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

Yeah, its just you have to be fast or they'll go very quickly, that is making me want to just get the new one at £1199, I like the gig bag it comes with and I can just go out and buy one.
    As I said, I have come into £1300 money recently so technically it doesn't matter as long as the guitar is in that budget range.

20. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Personally I think the "no models by year anymore" is just a short term marketing gimmick. In the last years under prior CEO they were making all these crazy models that it was just over the top. On top of it many of them were just weird or didn't work well. They were just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping some would stick. But consumers saw this and the brand was getting watered down. Cranking out oodles of odd guitars of dubious quality isn't a great strategy. So the new guys are making a statement: No more of that, the line is simple and basic so we can make them all perfect quality (maybe, maybe not but that's the point they are trying to make). I think though that after a year or two of that, once they think they have gotten past the perceptions created over the last decade, they will begin to make changes again, just not as wild or seemingly random as some of the ones made under Henry at the end.

Said more simply: they are trying to rebuild the brand perception with a message of returning to basics. Once they think that worked, they will incrementally begin to make different models annually. They have to, if they make them all identical every year people will just buy used for half the price. So it's just a marketing thing. In my opinion.