SG String Quest - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SickAura, Feb 27, 2018.

1. SickAura

SickAura New Member

So...I am a 30 year bass player that has picked up guitar and I shared a bit of my story here:
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/new-member-ngd-2017-sg-standard-t.33766/

I have to say I am loving my SG with 57 Classics - it seems to be more in line with my tone goals vs the Burstbucker Pros I had in my (former) Les Paul

I'll be needing strings soon and there are so many options I am not sure where to start.

I am/will be playing mostly hard rock. Lots of AC/DC, Led Zep, Sabbath, ZZ, G n'R through a Marshall Code 50 - favouring JCM800 and Plexi modelling at this point

So, can you guys give me some suggestions? Or just let me know what your favourites are and why? Any advice appreciated!

2. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Ernie Balls 9s and 10s. Malcom Young played with wound G string, so that may be of interest for you to try.

Rowdymoon, arcticsg and Dale like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

D'Addario NYXL 9-42s work for me.

Hector likes this.
  4. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I get fussy with what I put on my acoustic. A bit less so on my electrics. Once plugged into the amp they all sound pretty much the same to me. Currently I think I have a couple packs of .010 D’Addarios. Nice thing about strings. They’re aren’t that expensive.

5. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

Dale and SickAura like this.
  6. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

I like Ernie Ball Colbalt,#2715 Skinny Top/Hvy Bottom 10-13-17-30-42-52, high output,last forever,decent flex,and mostly I like the rougher feel of the strings.Adjust gauge to your taste....

SickAura likes this.
  7. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I got into GHS Nickel Rockers which are rollerwound. A roundwound which is compressed into a sort of semi-flat that retains some crispness yet has a smoother feel and not the higher fret wear of a stainless steel wrap. SRV swore by them and Eric Johnson uses them currently. They sound much better than D'Addario's half rounds to me. I use 10-46's

8. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I prefer Dean Markley 11-52's . They have a wound G. As a bass player, you might consider a bit heavier gauge like this as you are already used to thick strings.

I like the tone I get from thicker strings and the shorter scale of Gibson makes it pretty easy to bend the strings (I sometimes bend chords!).

arcticsg likes this.
  9. SickAura

SickAura New Member

Interesting. I currently pretty much only use GHS Pressure Wounds on bass and its the same approach. I'm going to look into these

koaguilds likes this.
  10. SickAura

SickAura New Member

Yes - I have been thinking about heavier gauge or higher tension for sure. I tend to play the bass pretty hard so I found the tension on some guitar strings to be too loose - where I am bending strings (and even chords) all over the place - not on purpose - it ain't pretty haha

11. lcw

lcw Active Member

NYXL 10s.

12. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

IMO, the best quality/tone combo available, while staying in the tonal ballpark you describe, is the NYXLs, which are great strings. I like Cobalts a lot, too, but they reputedly wear frets fast, so I don't use them anymore. Good ol' Slinkys and D'Addarios are also excellent, but I think the NYXLs are a notch above.

SickAura likes this.
  13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I mostly use these because I want to piss off the people that insist you must use 13-56 with a bigsby.

Hector, Biddlin and rotorhead like this.
  14. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I'm using Dean Marley 9's on one of my SG's. Not a bad string at all, I bought more... lol

15. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Soooo .....Standard E tuning?
    Something like the Ernie Ball Power Slinky would be good for you.

16. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I was using Ernie Ball 10s, got a deal on a 10 pack of D'Addario 10s and I like them better, seem to hold their tone longer.

17. Jebuscrebus

Jebuscrebus New Member

Try a bunch of different ones until you find something you really like. I too like the GHS Roller Wounds but am always experimenting with other brands. (I really like the Rev Willly's as well).

Saint Toad and koaguilds like this.
  18. SickAura

SickAura New Member

Seems like quite a few nods for the NYXL's so will definitely check them out.

Thanks everyone for all the replies so far. Would love to hear more...

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thee are on my 25 1/2" scale Fender Strats.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  20. Screamingmoon

Screamingmoon New Member

It's hard to make string suggestions when it all boils down to preference. I used to play .08-.42 for years on a PRS. I remember it feeling and sounding great. After that period I stuck with DR .09-42 on various other guitars. Recently, I picked up a 10 box of GHS .10-.46 I use on an SG and I am VERY happy with these strings.