SG Tuning Issues - Fixed (Finally)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by mrguentner, Mar 7, 2018.

1. mrguentner

mrguentner New Member

I have a 2016 SG Standard. I was having G string tuning issues tried everything, nut sauce, filed nut, replaced nut (professional luthier). G string would still go flat and stay flat on after a big bend. I purchased the String Butler from Amazon

and it solved my tuning issues forever. It stays in tune for days. Highly recommend the string butler, only takes a few minutes to install and works. It is a bit pricey but $44 is a small price to pay for a guitar that stays in tune.
    String Butler.jpg

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Find yourself a new luthier.

3. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

That's a nifty looking addition though the straighter string pull is only an illusion as there is an even worse angle when you get close to the machine. If my strings actually touched each other, or rubbed against other machines, I might need something like that, but I don't have any of those problems, and a really good setup ought to ensure that no SG suffers from them. I'm glad it worked for you, but as donepearce suggests, a capable luthier should have solved this for you. But at least it's fixed.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

All I see is added friction points. But if it works for you, great.

Out of curiosity, do you lock your strings when you thread them on the post ?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

D.B. Could you expand on that some? Probably something everyone should understand as well as how to properly tune.

There are a lot of people making bank on Gibson's over blown tuning issues. Of course Gibson's quality has been kinda spotty for the last few years now.

One vid I saw the guy really prided himself on all of the perfectly fine Gibby tuners he had replaced. One of his justifications for replacing the tuners on the LP he was working on is that it looked like one of the factory tuners retention nuts had been "overtightened" and left an indentation in the head stock. :hmm:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. ydrive

ydrive Member

Just to be clear, what is big bend in you book? A step, step and a half, even two?

7. ydrive

ydrive Member

Well, Tim Pierce seems like a pretty reputable guy:

8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Tim Pierce seems to rate the String Butler, though I'm not entirely convinced by the video.

Guess I just prefer 6 in line headstocks as a solution.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

String Lock...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    grausch, Biddlin and rotorhead like this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

One born every 1/10 second, these days.

11. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm always suspicious of one-post members singing the praise of costly accessories.

Hector, rotorhead and bwotw like this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Cerebral gasket posted the right way to do it.
    A second thing you have to know, is that you never down tune a string, always up.

[​IMG]

Chubbles and cerebral gasket like this.
  13. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

There is no reason that device would cure a guitar string going flat.

Only reason for a string going flat is:

a) faulty tuner -- very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very unlikely.

b) string not loaded properly.

That's it. It's your money, buy all the magic beans you want, but -- nope.

P.

rotorhead and Roca like this.
  14. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I bought a set of nut/saddle files for $80 and so far I have fixed over 20 guitars, some of which didn't even need fixing....

Correct stringing cures most woes....

Now lets discuss neck dive....

Roca likes this.
  15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Pretty much end of thread in my mind.

I'll also say, I would rather have unstable tuning that strap that ridiculous contraption on a guitar.

But, yeah, properly setup guitar = no tuning issues.

16. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

+1 for properly setup guitar.
    I don’t use any sort of wrapping or contraptions to keep mine in tune.
    Less string around the post, intonation is a big thing to have correct and stretch your strings when they’re new. :)

Paul G. likes this.
  17. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

This is a great technique for attaching strings - I've been using it since the late 70s, and it does the same sort of job that locking tuners do. But it's slightly different to the issue the String Butler is designed to address.

If you think about it, multiple windings at the machine head can allow the string to slip - to pull tighter - when you do something like bending or using a vibrato arm. As a result the string doesn't return to pitch, and you tune up. This can keep repeating until there's no more movement available at the machine head. But there's never any chance for the string to become slacker again, unless you detune: It's a one-way street (though, of course, with windings you are also getting extra length to the string - and that is relevant). It's a different story at the nut - when you bend the string, the whole string moves, not just between the bridge and nut. On the G string with 3-aside headstocks, there can be a lot of string length behind the nut (regardless of attachment technique), and a sharp break angle behind the nut, which add up to movement through the nut and potential binding preventing free movement back through it. Even a locking tuner can't prevent this.

If you look at the video that I & ydrive simultaneously posted, you'll see he's specifically checking the G string with bends and vibrato. As with so many things in life, there are multiple ways you can deal with this. When Merle Travis designed a guitar for Paul Bigsby to build, he dealt with it by using a 6-aside headstock design, which, it seems, Leo Fender copied (he certainly acknowledged seeing the guitar, but denied MT's claim to have lent him the guitar). Removing an issue by designing it out always seems the best route to me, others will differ, as ever. :)

grausch and ydrive like this.
  18. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Hello mrguentner, and welcome to ETSG... :cheers:

Is your real name Sven Dietrich? :hmm:

19. mrguentner

mrguentner New Member

I know a good Luthier could fix it. I had it to two different shops, one filed the nut and the other replaced and re-cut the nut. I was fed up. SG was a little better but still stuck slightly flat on even moderate bends. I just about fixed the issue filing the nut myself but the string butler eliminated the issue. I can do a basic set up I don't like messing with the nut.

I used to lock my strings at the post before I got locking tuners (G-force) and yes the G-force does work I tested it multiple times against my Peterson Tuner. Not perfect every time but good enough for rock n roll. Tuners were not the issue.

The string butler has rollers on the posts so there is very little friction at the bend. I honestly don't care how the thing looks it does the job. I don't even notice it anymore.

20. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Can we see othe pictures of the guitar? With the Min-e-tune I doubt it's a 2016. More likely a 2014 or 2013.