Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beerbelly, Sep 15, 2019.
Still looking great. I'm thinking a smaller volume knob might be a better fit. What do you reckon?
I agree, but I searched online for two days looking for a smaller reflector knob with no luck. Oh well, not everything on this uke is in scale anyway.
Edges chamfered today; photos show sanded and also with naptha.
Installed the 4mm MOP position markers on the fretboard. Glued in with water-thin superglue, then sanded flush to the board.
Drilled & tapped bridge for adjusting screws today.
You managed that without flaking the chrome (nickel?). That takes patience.
Patience and some cutting oil on the drill & tap...
I use Tap Magic. Have you tried that?
Yep, that's what I use; I got it at Walmart.
Well, one step back.... As I was routing the channel for the carbon fiber rod, the bit loosened up and poked through the back of the neck. I got some more material, made another neck blank, and was successful the second time around.
Got the neck roughed out today, and the neck pocket routed. I ended up with a pocket angle of 2.80˚ to keep the action fairly reasonable.
I see a truss rod access hole drawn on the paper, But I presume the carbon fibre rod was a better alternative, given how short the neck is.
Yes, that was my thinking. The headstock drawing was downloaded from an online plan.
Drilled headstock and glued up fretboard today.
I made a lot of progress on the neck today, including installing the frets, the side dots, and shaping the back of the neck.
Made a pick guard and a jack plate today, and installed the bridge studs (under yellow vinyl masking). Also ran a ground wire to one of the studs.
Here's a mock up so far:
Neck glued in, fret board taped off, and Behlen vinyl sealer applied. Next step is grain filling with Behlen Pore-O-Pac, a nasty job, but it will really highlight the wood grain under the transparent cherry color.
Separate names with a comma.