SG with Bigsby B7

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by dovosk, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dovosk

dovosk Member

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I would like to share some pics with you of my 2010 SG Standard with a Bigsby B7. I much prefer the look of the B7 to the B5 and thought I would do some experimenting. Amazingly, no modifications were necessary, except turning the hinged part around to give just a couple more millimeters of clearance.

Attached Files:

• 478.JPG
      478.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 478.JPG
      478.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    24gits and Hammer like this.
  2. dovosk

dovosk Member

Next pic...

Attached Files:

• 481.JPG
      481.JPG
      File size:
      492.4 KB
      Views:
    • 481.JPG
      481.JPG
      File size:
      492.4 KB
      Views:
  3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I've never been a big Bigsby fan (bad pun intended) but that is a f'n pretty SG! Damn. and I really like cherry SG's, so that is special. Maybe it's the photos in that white lined case. O0

Heepster likes this.
  4. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hiya

Welcome to the forum :)

That looks really nice I haven't seen many Bigsbys on SGs but that looks great. I would like to ask a few questions if I may:

-Does it stay in tune well and does it effect the weight balance of the guitar? I.e is it bottom heavy now?
    -Did it leave any visible holes when removing the old hardware, what new holes would be left behind if you ever reversed the mod to take it off?

I may do this type of mod on an additional SG I purchase in the future as I love my current one too much to chance it.

Let us know and once again welcome and thanks for posting photos.

Cheers :)

5. dovosk

dovosk Member

Thank you both for the nice welcome!

I did find some info on the web for adding the B7, but some said modifications were necessary and some said that they were not... but when a B7 popped up on the classifieds at a reasonable price, I was all over it. There are no additional holes drilled, I simply removed the stop bar and used a B7 Vibramate (http://www.vibramate.com/index.php). At first, I was bummed out that I needed just a hair more length for it to fit (which was weird because one source on the web indicated that the B7 would be longer than the SG body). After staring at it for a bit thinking of how hard it would be to grind down the metal, I realized I could simply pull the pin out of the hinge, flip it and gain just a little more length (see the pic). To my delight, it worked. I also added a couple of washers between the Vibramate and stop bar holes to level the unit out a bit. Everything seems to work well, but the guitar does go a little out of tune after playing for a bit. Maybe some of you could help me with that one...

Saxosim: it did add noticeable weight to the guitar and it is now more bottom heavy. There are no visible holes. The only feature that is noticeable is that the unfinished side of the hinge is showing (after I flipped it), but that is covered by the strap. Also, other SG bodies might fit differently (i.e. the B7 might either be a hair too long or too short).

Attached Files:

6. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hiya thanks for the fitting info, that looks really good I may have to look into seeing if one of those may fit on my new vintage V100 Les Paul style Goldtop. Please would you be able to take a photo showing where the rear strap button is fitted without your strap fitted just so I can see the fit? Did you happen to come across or make any measurements on the length of the B7 so I can see if it may fit my Gold Top or not? I think I may also need to measure the Stop bar from centre to centre of the body mounts to see if a Vibramate may fit a replica Les Paul.

7. dovosk

dovosk Member

Here is a pic with the close ups you requested. The length from the center of the stop bar post to the edge of the body (bottom line) is 16.5 cm (6.5 in). The length to the edge of the hinge (top line) is 17 cm (6.7 in).

Attached Files:

8. lockbody

lockbody Active Member

Thanks for all the pics, it looks great! I was just wondering last week if a B7 would fit an SG. This sure answers it.

9. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

[quote author=dovosk link=topic=22056.msg263834#msg263834 date=1326041558]Everything seems to work well, but the guitar does go a little out of tune after playing for a bit. Maybe some of you could help me with that one...[/quote]

Swap out the bridge for a roller bridge. Made a huge difference on my Standard when I added a B5.

10. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Thanks for the extra photos and dimensions I did a bit of digging around last night looking at the B7 and Vibramate and found that I think it may fit. The width required on the stop tailpeice is 82.5mm which seems to be pretty standard as the one on my v100gt measures that centre to centre so least I know that will fit. The measurement Vibramate give for the B7 to fit a Les Paul is approx 153mm from the centre of the tailbar mounts to the tail of the guitar. Need to check this on mine as I think it will be close. :)

11. dovosk

dovosk Member

[quote author=Hammer link=topic=22056.msg263844#msg263844 date=1326084795]
    Swap out the bridge for a roller bridge. Made a huge difference on my Standard when I added a B5.
    [/quote]

Looks like a winning solution! Seems the Schaller has good reviews for fitment. Thanks for the info :)

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

This looks much cooler than a Vibramate and a B5.
    I will probably do it myself. Thank you.

13. tolm

tolm Active Member

Nice trick with the VibraMate kit! *I screwed mine straight in and used black hard-rubber tap washers to raise the bridge end of the Bigsby up. *Since this photo I've fitted nickel humbucker covers, a roller bridge and some new inlay transfers - need some good light and my camera charged and then I'll put a thread up!

[​IMG]

Ivan S Gee and dovosk like this.
  14. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Wow good job that looks fantastic!!

15. tolm

tolm Active Member

16. Phil

Phil New Member

Here's a site you might find useful: Bigsby-Style System | Sta-Tuned.com. They make fine tuners for Bigsby's and a no-mods behind-the-nut string lock to go with the fine tuners. Both parts are retrofits - no permanent mods or screw holes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    dovosk likes this.
  17. Phil

Phil New Member

For Bigsby users - fine tuners and string clamp

All you Bigsby users - here's a site that makes & sells fine tuners and a behind-the-nut string clamp for Bigsby's: http://www.sta-tuned.com/electric-guitar-systems/b-style-system.html. Just swap-out parts, no drilling or permanent mods. I have and prefer Kahler whammie's on my '78 Standard SG and '79 "The SG." Much neater, more funtional and modern design. Of course you need to remove a small amount of wood for the Kahler unit, but nothing near like what Gibson removes to install a Floyd Rose. With the Floyd they had to rout clear through the body and a swiming pool rout in the back for the springs. I only needed to remove about a 1"x1" square, and not even all the way through. The tuning is just fine, intonation just fine and plenty of sustain. The sustain might be less than a non-whammy-equipped SG if you strummed a chord and timed it with a stopwatch, but as far as playing real music - no difference, despite all the whammy bar naysayers.

18. dovosk

dovosk Member

Done I picked up a Schaller roller bridge - looks great, fits great and works great! :thumb:

Now I am wondering if locking tuners will help or if it makes no difference.

19. dovosk

dovosk Member

Wow, that is a great look! I really like the pickup rings! :thumb: I'll have to check out your other thread!

20. dovosk

dovosk Member

Wow, these look awesome - thanks for the link. Cost a pretty penny though! I would love to get this - I guess I should start saving now :hmm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.