SG with Bigsby B7

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by dovosk, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolm

tolm Active Member

+1 for the roller bridge suggestion. I added one to mine shortly after that photo was taken and - combined with plenty of pencil lead shavings in the nut slots - tuning stability is very good. Since getting my PRS, I'd consider locking tuners as well but there's no desparate need.

I've also done a few more tweaks recently - sorry to say the 'open top' covers have gone- and am waiting on some historic pointer washers as the final finishing touch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Ace1432

Ace1432 New Member

aww sweet post man!
    im planning on putting a B7 on my black SG24ltd, this was a useful heads up!

thanks for the pics!
    [​IMG]

3. dovosk

dovosk Member

Do you find the roller bridge rocks a little when you use the Bigsby?

4. dovosk

dovosk Member

Should look sweet! Post some pics when you are done! :applause:

5. tolm

tolm Active Member

Can't say I've had that on any of my guitars - although i've had non-roller bridges do that.

I shopped around until I finally found a roller-bridge that fit straight over the original ABR-1 studs. Previously i'd always had the Nashville bridges which seemed much easier to find the roller equivalent for!

6. dovosk

dovosk Member

For anyone who is following.... I wrapped the posts in Teflon tape and that took care of any rocking. Now back to the locking tuners - found some on Kijiji for a good price, but the bushings are too small.

7. tfletchii

tfletchii New Member

I'd like to thank dovosk for posting how he used the vibramate with the B7 on the SG. I've been wanting to put one on an SG I've been experimenting with and it was really easy. Here are a couple pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dovosk likes this.
  8. dovosk

dovosk Member

Looks great!!! :dude: Thanks for posting your pics! Did anyone else ever end up putting on the B7?

9. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hi Dovosk,

Not on my SG but I put one on my Vintage V100 Gold Top after seeing and reading this thread and asking you those questions about it. Thanks by the way it worked out well but the Vibramate didnt as the body was too carved on top. Had to fill the stopbar holes with wooden dowel and fix directly to the body in the end. I sont mind it being permanent for the price of the guitar. Just having a few tuning issues I am trying to resolve. Got some nut sauce which has helped a lot on the nut and Bigsby bar, think I probably also need a roller bridge to get it totally right though. Just trying to find one that suits the existing size posts to save having to replace them. Looks great anyway and will be perfect once I resolve the slight tuning problem. Love the look of the kit which helps tuning but don't want to spend much more other than a £20 bridge really to finish it :)

Here is a link if you would like to see it scroll to the bottom to see it with the B7 added - http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/other-guitars/17809-new-guitar-day.html

dovosk likes this.
  10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I plan to "Bigsbyize" one of my SGs as soon as I find the time.
    I have to take care of my procrastination problem first though.

Biddlin and dovosk like this.
  11. Ace1432

Ace1432 New Member

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That's a cool idea. Whereas my SG came with B5 (Gibson-stamped), I replaced the original bridge with the Wilkinson roller bridge. It has set-screws that allow it to be clamped tight to the posts.

I must say the B7 looks awesome on your guitar.

dovosk likes this.
  13. dovosk

dovosk Member

14. dovosk

dovosk Member

Yeah, I know what you mean.... there's a ton of chores I'm putting off... even at this very moment!

15. dovosk

dovosk Member

Lookin' good Ace :thumb: I especially like how your other guitars are trying to peek over and get into the shot.

Ace1432 likes this.
  16. dovosk

dovosk Member

Thanks dude, I think that we are on the ground floor of something big here! :ohno:

Well, maybe not, but it's still cool!

17. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Thanks Dovosk I am really pleased with it just need a roller bridge now as tuning is still an issue. Tried some nut sauce on the nut and existing tune o matic bridge and it's better but still goes out of tune quickly.

If the roller bridge doesn't cure it final try will be some gotoh vintage locking tuners as they should be a direct swap for my current Wilkinson made Gibson style green key copies :)

18. dovosk

dovosk Member

Awesome, the roller bridge worked well for me and just by chance, I did end up picking up some gotoh locking tuners that were supposed to drop right in, but the bushings are too small. I will need to get a larger size. GLTY!

19. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Yes thanks I am hoping the bridge works out for me.

Sorry to hear the first set of Gotoh tuners didn't work out for you, let me know how you get on with the new set?

Cheers :)

20. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Active Member

Very nice!

I've thought about Bigsby'ing my SG.. Partially just to give it some weight and perhaps balance it out. As a Les Paul guy, I prefer heavy guitars (not just for comfort but also I think the heavier guitars tend to have better sustain, chunk, resonance, and more balls) and guitars that hang as opposed to bounce so I think adding a Bigsby to my SG Special (Faded model) might give it some weight to chunk it up some and make it heavier. I probably would go with a B5 though because I'm such a Mick Taylor fan:

[​IMG]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.