SG with Bigsby B7

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by dovosk, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

There ya go fellas. Every possible aspect of a Bigsbys shortcomings covered by some additional add on device except for maybe range of pitch change on the B5 as even a taller spring wont fix that or make it a better trem.

From what we are seeing here & from our personal experiences the single roller bar Bigsby is just a better working design. Though as Tony M & myself like to point out, there is just a better way to add a more useable & reliable vibrato to your guitar if you use more than the occasional
    without need for all these extra trick add ons to solve the array of design faults with a Bigsby, especially the B5 Bigsby.

Honestly, the only reason to choose a Bigsby is the looks. If you are looking for ease of installation with something completely reversable, reliable wide range of pitch change without all the neccessary add ons, and, the ability to use a trem as you feel without any worries of going out of tune, don't get all oiled up & jump on the Bigsby Love Train. She's a beautiful woman that will demand your time & attention. She will keep you spending your additional money to 'make things work out'. She will dissappoint you by not doing 'that trick' you like that others have performed in past relationships. She will keep you worried about her doing what you need her to do and, because of all the issues you have together, you will always find yourself looking for others that are 'available' & seem to be something better to get involved with. Maybe you'll get lucky & find one that will do what you ask of her. Even if that means going down without complaint.

The Bigsby wont do the dishes either, unless threatened with a hammer. Reminds of an insensitive joke..so I will substitute Bigsby for the original word. What is the first thing a Bigsby should do when she gets out of the 'battered Bigsby shelter'?? Da frikin dishes if she knows whats good for her!! OH...Just a tasteless joke so please dont be too offender NOW.

2. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

I would hardly call a $40.00 strainer an "extra trick add on" but the point is moot if you want that bigsby look and feel, $40 is negligible.

Here is a link to the strainer:
    Vibramate String Spoiler [VB-SR1] - $39.95 : GRETSCHGEAR.COM, The Official Home for Authentic Gretsch® Merchandise!

And for the **** of it my Texas Special B7:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biddlin and dovosk like this.
  3. dovosk

dovosk Member

Hey Relic,

It's obvious that the above quote refers specifically to me and my enthusiasm... aka the "love fest".

You present a very one sided and close-minded view on the subject. Did you ever stop to think that some of us like tinkering on guitars as a hobby? Some of us may like how "awesome" something looks on something else, just for the heck of it (there are entire industries built on this premise). I'm not sure anyone here made the claim that they can't wait to do some serious dive-bombing after bastardizing their SG with a Bigsby. Some of us are even smart enough to install a Bigsby using a vibramate without drilling holes in our precious SGs so that the install can be reversed in minutes, if the fancy strikes us. You are under the incorrect assumption that we are children that don't know any better. I think that its great you want to "warn" everyone of the pitfalls that come with making the choice to mod their guitar, but in the end, it comes down to individual choice. If I want to do something for reasons that are important to me, I will. Not sure why it bugs you so much that you feel like you need to stop me from "forcing" other people to buy into the most wonderful thing going.

That's my opinion. Thanks for yours. If you don't care for the love fest - then stop hijacking the thread please.

Adamonfirexmx and Biddlin like this.
  4. Relic61

Oww. Thats gonna leave a mark. Oh to be so misunderstood. If you really feel there is no room at the love fest to inject some important concerns over installing a Bigsby with the hopes that someone somewhere may actually benefit from the realities shared here by me & others &, that those realities may get someone take the time to think about the shortfalls & limitations then I am on the wrong thread. I was looking for the thread used by the American free thinkers. Others read these threads to learn things. Ever check out the 'whos on line & looking at what page & take note how many readers arent members? I'm not here to unsult members though I do like to use humor so, with that in mind, I'm outta here before the room gets all sticky, with Love. Enjoy your counterweights fellas, I'll be over here, living in reality. Shimmer on!

5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I never said anything about a bigsby being no good.
    I wonder where the "As Tony and I said" came from?
    I believe I said it works well when used to do what
    it is designed to do.

People should not quote other people out of
    context to support their own arguments.

Let's not forget one important point here.
    Stetsbars and Floyds are extremely ugly.
    They would not look good on a 335 but then
    again, if you are dive bombing with a 335 it
    would seem to me that something is basically
    wrong from the getgo.

Adamonfirexmx, dbb, Biddlin and 2 others like this.
  6. dovosk

dovosk Member

Relic, as I said, you are entitled to you opinion, but what you professes to be "American free speech" is to interject your opinion as the gospel. You don't like Bigsby? Then all the power to you. You want to tell us why? Then that's great too. Intelligent debate? OK... but that wasn't really the point of this thread... Truth is, the Bigsby debate has raged on countless times on countless threads. This thread was entitled "Hey, come check out my bitchin' bigsby on an SG! Woo Hoo!" That much you knew and it was pretty obvious. The problem is, you come on here and start talking to us like you have it all figured out... then you basically tell me I'm uneducated about all things Bigsby and anyone would be a fool to $*%& their SG with one. There are those that would take offense to that.

I have no less than 15 complete guitars and probably about 4 more in various stages of reconditioning. I am relatively new at this, as I got a late start (loving guitars) in life, but I have used and tinkered with the various incarnations of Floyd Rose tremolos, bigsby, Shaller, Wonderbar and so on. I am well aware of the limitations of each (still learning), and I have my preferences, which may not be the same as yours. Thing is, I don't come blasting into a thread that is obviously, as you called it, a love fest for those who are interested in installing a Bigsby on their SG, and profess to know the truth about all. Don't like it, well, then don't participate. Start your own thread entitled "Why I hate Bigsby - a debate for the modern age".

Or how about this one, did you know I'm black and I'm Jewish? Why don't you tell me how your religion is the right one, and how I should just face reality and get skin pigmentation therapy to boot? Then tell me that you'll be "just waiting over here - come join me when you want to join reality".
    Clever "American Free thinker" indeed, don't flatter yourself.

On another, more suitable topic for this thread... I think your SG would look really awesome with a B7 on it!! :hmm:

Adamonfirexmx likes this.
  7. likea45

The stetsbar is hideous....maybe if it looked more like a B5/B7 they would do better...:applause:

Biddlin and Hammer like this.
  8. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Biddlin likes this.
  9. dovosk

dovosk Member

Agreed - the Bigsby is so much more sexier. :wow:

In its own way, though, I must admit that the stetsbar is kind of neat in its own franken-design sort of way... I guess I really dig anything to do with guitars! I've never seen one in practice, so I can't comment on its performance. :dunno:

10. 24gits

24gits New Member

Gibson SG Standard '11 with Bigsby b7 and Vibramate v7

Hello all!

Thank you for the replies in the thread, because I cannot find any other reliable feedback on the internet...

Well, as you can imagine I want to put a Bigsby b7 with the help of Vibramate v7 on my Gibson SG Standard '11.

My concerns are:

• Will the Schaller security locks fit after the installation of the Bibgby?
    • Will the guitar with the Bigsby fit in the standard case that Gibson has for the Gibson SG? (I think it's the same as the LP case).
    • Does it get detuned too easy? Is there anything you can do about it?
    Thank you in advance! :dude:

11. likea45

Questions one and two: YES. To your third question read the posts above for the suggestions others have made for staying in tune ala roller bridge etc.

12. tolm

tolm Active Member

Wow - it's been an age. Since I started dabbling with PRS guitars and sold a bunch of Gibson/Epiphone guitars I have been "without Bigsby" for some months now. Brothers, it has been a trial, but it is now over!

Fitted a B7 to my '61 Reissue SG today using a VibraMate V7 and the 'Dovosk Patent-Pending Hinge-Flip Technique'. Gotta say, it's worked a treat and it feels good to know I've not put any extra holes in my lovely axe!

I stuck two layers of self-adhesive felt pads on the underside of the V7 (about 5mm when compressed under screw tension) and another between the flipped-hinge and the tail of the guitar. Should protect the finish and keeps the Bigsby nice and level. Sounds, plays and looks great.

So, here she is in full out-of-focus, dodgy cell-phone pics glory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dovosk likes this.
  13. Relic61

Tolm, That is a beautiful looking guitar! You just gotta love how that Bigsby just looks so right on a 61 reissue. ! Always felt like it was the best looking layout with that pickguard. Your guitar reminds me why I've been wanting to by one of these for a couple of years now. Tell me you have the burstbuckers with coil split in there?? One little beautification to consider that my eyes are looking for would be that neck tenon cover with the Les Paul script. That marketing of the Les Paul name on the SG tenon cover only lasted a short while beginning in 61 with the discontinuation of the original Les Paul body style & the naming the guitar the SG Les Paul, so why not take advantage of a legitimate reason to flaunt that pretty little embossed cover on your 61 SG & get people talking. With or without it, it still looks awesome brother. I would also imagine any neck dive you might have experienced is now gone as well. Congratulations.

By the way, did anybody else notice Gibson found away to save more money by reconfiguring the rear control cavity plate to only require 4 screws instead of 5?

14. tolm

tolm Active Member

Thanks for your comments - it is a wonderful guitar and even better (for me) with the Bigsby added. It was a little neck heavy but not too bad and, obviously, the weight of the Bigsby has helped too. And I agree - they just look 'right' on a '61.

Hasn't got BBs or coil taps - the '61 comes with '57 Classics. They sound great: much more open/organic/transparent/vintage sounding than the 490s I had in my old Special.

Interesting you mention the tenon cover! The bit of plastic they use for that looks very cheap compared with the scratch-guard plastic but I couldn't find a replacement, at least in the UK. I was considering adding a "Les Paul" truss-rod cover since, as you say, in '61 it actually was called a Les Paul. :)

Hadn't spotted the reduction in screw count. I reckon that's where all the neck-dive problems started - the missing weight of that one little screw ... :laugh2:

15. Relic61

The 57 classics are beautiful sounding & much like you mention, I havent liked the 490 series pickup pairing in any Gibson I've played. I've actually won a couple off Ebay & I either resold them or if I liked the guitar (like my 04 SG) I kept it & changed the pups. On the 04 SG I ended up with a T top & a 57 Classic plus in the bridge. That guitar now gets a lot of use as it does the gamut of styles from hard rock to pretty sounding jazzy chordage. Man I just love guitars & yours just does that thing to my brain when I look at it. I'd be playin the frets off her fer sure. Just inspirational & exciting to behold & I can hear those 57s from here. $$it yeah Rock on! I'm going to go look for an extra screw to put in the control cavity of my 70's Tribute SG to try & stop that neck dive cause like yours shes one light & only came with four. Good idea man.

16. dovosk

dovosk Member

Tolm, if I could high five you through cyber-space... I would!!!!

Looks killer brother. :thumb:

tolm likes this.
  17. tolm

tolm Active Member

Cheers! I was really pleased with how the hinge-flip technique worked.

[​IMG]

18. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm.....
    Interesting flip there.

19. Relic61

Sometimes things need to go beyond looks and be valued on performance to be appreciated. The Stetsbar is a brilliant design both due to its being different & it's putting simple physics to work. Simple physics because it is asking a lot less of a string because it doesn't have to travel around roller bars which tends to allow the strings to go off angle & out of tune (which I took the time to demonstrate with some pictures prior) and, it eliminates strings dragging across or rolling over the bridge because the whole bridge moves with the bar & the strings travel in a short straight line. Brilliant, simple & reliable. Now what isn't beautiful about something that does all that for a guitar player?

I dont know if you and some others have taken the time to understand where I'm coming from but I've tried to make it clear that I do have several Bigsbys & like you, I think they are awesome & beautiful. I dont like a Stetsbar because it looks good But to disqualify something because you think it is hideous is totally missing the point & the true beauty of something like the Stetsbar.

What is it worth as a guitar player to play as you feel knowing that your guitar is going to stay in tune? That is a beautiful thing on its own merits & something that I cant put a price on. Personally, I would rather be able to play as my heart feels with confidence in my instrument than be on stage with one of my beautiful Bigsbys that I just cant trust to stay in tune.

To say I play different on a Bigsby equiped guitar would begin to address what apprehension it brings me as I will find myself stopping my hand from using the Bigsby despite my ears wanting to hear vibrato. What is that about? That is loss of confidence in your tremolo due to the repeated experiences of a Bigsby going out of tune when used. A learned condition as demonstrated by Pavlov & his dog.

Now when you've played a Bigsby so much that these experiences have you changing your tremolo technique because you've learned it goes out of tune, the true beauty of a Stetsbar type of tremolo really becomes evident, feels liberating & seems like a gift from the Big Guy himself to guitar players like myself & others.

If you cant get around what something looks like, you are denying yourself opportunities & experiences you could possibly enjoy & benefit from.

In the case of the hideous Stetsbar, it can improve what we love doing, playing guitar, being freely expressive and, staying reliably in tune. And That my friend, is a truly beautiful thing.

20. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

With a properly setup Bigsby, nut and bridge, tuning really isn't an issue. If your Bigs is going out of tune, you either have a setup issue or you are not using it for its intended purpose. Bigsbys are for subtle vibrato and...that's it. And, for the $230-300 Stetsbar wants, it needs to not look like something they ripped off a Borg drone. I'll stick with my pretty Bigs that stays in tune just fine.

Form and function need to have a balance. Sure, it's a bit shallow to favor form, but if someone doesn't like the form, chances are they aren't going to use it for its function. Human nature, brother...human nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.