SG Xtra Slim... Looking to buy, can't find anywhere

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by gmel1084, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

There are many different models of our favorite guitar.
    The one you mention is one I never heard of, and since I have large (clumsy) hands
    with big square tipped fingers, the narrow fretboard would probably be a deal breaker.

But there is a place in the world for all of us, and Gibson tries to make guitars we
    can all enjoy. Personally, most neck shapes and sizes are all right with me.
    I play Gibson, Epiphone and Fender electric guitars which all have different neck shapes
    as well as Fender bass and Martin acoustics. They all have different carves and thicknesses
    and I never really think much about that. I just play them.

You should too, while you are searching for this particular Gibson guitar model.
    Good luck in your quest. I have taught teen girls with small hands how to play Fender
    bass with a 34" scale. I tell them that if they keep their thumb behind the neck
    then the size of their hand becomes irrelevant, and they have more than enough travel
    to play octaves on a long neck bass. They listen, and they do it. And they have no
    problems due to neck shape or width.

So IMHO you don't have to seek out this esoteric Gibson, but can play and enjoy any
    guitar, with any size neck, if you make up your mind that you can do so.

gmel1084 and Scootermuppet like this.
  3. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Were they going for mid to late 60's on that model? I know most people won't care, but I think Gibson helps create confusion about the specs and what is "period correct" from various years and decades. Sometimes I think they do it deliberately. Pretty much all it does is cause endless discussions on forums.

It shouldn't matter if they use a Nashville or ABR bridge or Chrome vs nickel on whatever guitar they want to manufacturer. All that matters is if people like the guitar.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    SG standard and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

+1

For example, the SG Special 67 RI is not "period correct". The Nashville bridge and 1-11/16 nut was not used in 1967. But with those two updated features on the reissue, I like it better than the original version.

SG standard, gmel1084 and bwotw like this.
  5. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

try Long and McQuade in Canada, I believe a store in New Brunswick had one left in stock, I got mine from Long and McQuade in Toronto, as for people who have never heard of this model, please proceed to Gibson website, look under 2014 guitars, then chose SG, there is a brief description as well as photos, if you need any more detailed specs, please ask I copied everything while it was available

6. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

The Gibson USA Angus Young SG hasva very narrow nwck that's thin front to back

7. sazista

sazista Active Member

That was one I was asking about last year because there was one for sale here in Chile, but I think it was a scammer posting the picks and actually selling Chinese copies.
    I agree with Mean Mr. Mustard :) that we can play anything, but as he said also, there are some things that are just not comfortable for all of us: for him the skinny, narrow neck is a deal breaker - just as a fat baseball back neck that pains and annoys the knuckle of my thumb. I hate them! So, if you can find one, of course play it first to see if it fits you. Then jump on it. There is a reason Gibson made that particular model, because many of us don't like the other options, just as Gibson made some LPs with weight reduction construction, because some people dislike having a log around their neck. As I've waxed on before about the virtues of my G310's neck, I've still to find a Gibson with that smoothness and the neck dimension's of that Epi, that i can afford. Best of luck, and post pictures if you get it!