Shelter in place.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Logan, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

After working at my local music store since I was a wee lad at the age of 14 (I’m still a wee lad, but less so), most states in the U.S. have shut down, and as such, I have been laid off for the time being. Do I still have a job? Absolutely. Am I stressed? Nope, I’ve got enough in savings to tide me over the next few months of car payments and 335 payments.

I’ve taken the time off as time to reset. Play some guitar, catch up on video games I’ve been meaning to play, watch comedians, get online schoolwork done, and hung out with very close friends sparingly when I can’t stand staying at my own home anymore.

Good thing about this is, it is unifying for the entire world. We’re all here, and this life is expendable. And being in a high-risk category (compromised immune system for UC) makes me appreciate just a little bit that people are being so cautious.

That being said, how are all of you handling being stuck in place?

Biddlin and arcticsg like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Grounded... and catching up with lots of chores around the house. Did manage to get a new 000-18 to play with though :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chuteboxehero, Didds and Logan like this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Also stuck. Taken the opportunity to upgrade my CNC router. It will now accept jobs up to 1 metre square, and the new spindle motor means I can now cut aluminium reasonably quickly. Still needs adjusting and calibrating but that will happen slowly over the next week. Also taken out a membership of JamKazam, an online real-time jamming thing. Not tried it yet, but I hear good things.

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I work at a TV network as a sound designer. Two weeks ago my boss walked into the control room of my studio and said, "I need you to put together a package of whatever you need to work from home." I delivered it a half-hour later and a stack of boxes landed on my desk two days later, including a high powered laptop, interface, and everything necessary to mix at home. I scrambled to install the DAW software and plugs get them talking to each other. I already had a tuned-up pair of UREI 811 monitors and subwoofers. The result is that I report for work every morning at the same time and collect my paycheck the same. The plant closed to all except studio personnel who are essential to putting the live product onto air and we are down until April 13. Of course, there is a cartoon that is on a deadline so I'm probably going into the studio on April 6th ahead of the herd to start recording voices.

Meanwhile, my lovely wife who is a pharmacy tech works with sick people all the time. I like to say she "swims in a sea of bacteria and infection." She developed a fever a week ago and was tested for coronavirus. That was last Monday. Results will be here this Monday or Tuesday. We are in quarantine until then, both from the world and each other. That's rather drab. If the test is positive we are in quarantine for another week.

Bob

5. donepearce

Did you finish your room setup with Sonarworks? I was skeptical about it for ages until I looked into how it works. I've used it now in two locations with different speakers, and they both sound essentialy identical.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Since the beginning of March I have planted two trees, poured a 9'X9' slab for a water spa, and started a raised bed vegetable garden. I am hunkered down with my two dogs, two cats (We lost sir Lancelot two weeks ago to extreme old age [17]) my missus and sister, sometimes it's like having the WWE divas right in the room with me, I Skype with the kids and dust and polish my gear. We'll all get by.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. bgh

bgh Member

I am in software development and have been working from home since the late '80s. We have slowed down some, but still have a lot of work to do. Where this hits me is in my free time. Because I have worked from home for so many years, one of our "releases" has been to go into town periodically. Not necessarily to buy anything. Gives us a chance to walk around, see something different than the office at home.

The biggest hit to me though is not being able to meet with my church family. Some of them are as close to me (or closer) than blood relatives. Not seeing them, not being able to chat and catch up on things is a big bummer for me. Our services are online now, but it's not the same. I miss playing.

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

No. I've never seen that product. It sound interesting, though. The control room at work is an unlicensed Live End/Dead End (LEDE) room.

[​IMG]

We had Dr. Peter D'Antonio of RPG Diffusers design the rear diffuser array working off our blueprints.
    [​IMG]

Whenever it needs a tweak we use a real time analyzer at work with the UREI 813b/c monitors that are soffit mounted. Cover is off in this pic.
    [​IMG]

UREIs are known for their wonderfully smooth response from about 80hz up but below that they roll off. They chose 15" drivers for efficiency rather than extended bass response, and it works. More below. Using a Klarke Technik 1/3 octave EQ I've able to smooth out UREIs in their range using no more than about 3-4db of correction. I use self-powered JBL LSR LSR4328P monitors and a KRK 12S2, 12" powered Subwoofer as my secondary array for music. They've got built-in software and a calibrated mic that aligns them. The sub lets me know what's going on below 80hz.

I got lucky and found a pair of UREI 811Cs at fire sale prices and they are my front stereo pair at home. The tweeters on these are a little prettier than those on the work monitors. The only downside is that they are far more efficient (10 db) than the rest of the speakers in the array, but I use the surround management to handle that. Each one sits atop a Sony subwoofer. The subs take a mixed mono feed from my amp array to keep the bass coherent. This is an old picture. Can you tell my wife is a tolerant person? As a result of these monitors our surround array for the home theater rivals most of the theaters in our area.

[​IMG]

I pushed for fifteen years to get the room at work built and it was wonderful when the company sunk the money into it. I've been mixing there for twenty-five years. The point of a monitor system is to manipulate you to mix the final product properly for the desired result. Eventually, if you invest the time, you learn your system well enough that your product levels out. Between the subwoofed secondary system and the main system I am now getting mixes that translate really well.

Bob

Biddlin likes this.
  9. donepearce

That looks like a nice room. In fact, the better the room is, the better sonarworks performs. No software will fill in modes - only room treatment does that. But Sonarworks fixes the basic flatness of the system. It does it by measuring the response at 37 different locations and combining them to exclude room nodes from the correction.