She's gone...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rain, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Will I regret it? Just sold my 2013 SGJ. Although it was a terrific instrument, ever since I bought the Standard, it kind of became redundant. I'd rather have fewer guitars but play them all regularly.

[​IMG]

Actually, there are but two guitars I'd never sell - Marian, my old US Fender Strat, my first quality instrument. Even though I rarely ever play it, that guitar just cannot go.

And my white Les Paul Studio a.k.a. The World's Angriest Guitar a.k.a. The Angry B*tch.

As much as I love my SG Standard, it's only a few months old and not yet invested with a soul, if that makes any sense. Just like my MIM strat - an awesome guitar, but I have yet to play it enough to really make it special. These are guitars that could arguably be replaced by similar guitars.

Right now of course, the Jackson Rhoads, is getting all the attention. I thought I loved that guitar but after smoothing the frets' ends, treating the fretboard adjusting the action and putting a set of Slinkies on her... Man, I can't believe I've waiited that long to buy one of these. Next guitar has got to be a better quality Jackson RR.

That being said, I'm still dreaming of a '61 type of SG. Or actually, a guitar that would be a blend between the old SGJ and the Standard. I really loved the rounder neck on that SGJ and the 61-ish type of body...

Dallaz, Robus, Hector and 2 others like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Of course the PRS guitars are not horrible either.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Personally, I choose to sell redundant guitars that do not get played. I was in the same position not too long ago and had three or four SG Special Faded at one time and kept the one that I liked most and sold all the others. There was a time that I had a total of seven SG and have since then thinned the herd to three. Each one of the three are set up for different tunings so that I can play all eras of Black Sabbath (E, C#, E-flat) or anything else that comes to mind.

I never had an SGJ, which in my mind is basically a 24-fret humbucker-equipped SG Special. They only produced the SGJ for two years (2013 & 2014) and you had the one that I would have picked because of the lack of crown inlay decal on the headstock and no 120th anniversary inlay on the 12th fret that is found on the 2014 SGJ.

What appeals to me about those SGJ is the rounded maple neck. I would have kept it and had a proper refinish done to it by having it stripped, grain filled and leveled to be smooth and refinished to the color of your choice with gloss. That's what I did with the one SG Special Faded that I kept. The reason I kept mine was that I really liked the neck profile and the fact that it had an ebony board and was an inexpensive model to make it any color of my choice with a proper finish that rivals the more expensive models.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Rain and Hector like this.
  4. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Selling guitars that are kind of redundant and don't get played totally makes sense. By doing so you probably end up much more content and enjoy what you have even more. Sure, you might also keep something for sentimental reasons (like your first guitar) but I think it's best to keep that to a minimum.

I think one of the best reasons to justify multiple guitars is different tunings as gasket mentioned. I had not played my Pacifica since I got the Epiphone SG but recently tuned it to open E to learn some slide basics. Feels good to give it a purpose again. Now I am GASsing for a third guitar (someting like the 2019 SG Tribute). I would use it as my main guitar in standard tuning and set the Epiphone up for lower tunings like Eb or Db (Black Sabbath!).

There is also a cheap acoustic I have that have been sitting in a gig bag on top of the closet for years. I thought about getting rid of it as it just collects dusts and the fretboard is drying out. But it was my first ever guitar that I got as a present so its hard to let go although I never played it much (always wanted an electric).

Dallaz, Rain and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

I got a Strat, a Tele, an SG, and an LP Standard. The SG And the LP get gigged a lot. The Fenders, not so much. But I don't want to sell them. They have history. Plus, I built them. Every now and then I hunger for that Fender sound.

6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I sold my first quality guitar, an SG and my first guitar love affair really and I've regretted it for decades. I'm glad you have figured out which ones you'd never get over selling before you made a mistake. Thin the herd but never those!

Dallaz, Rain and Worblehat like this.
  7. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I keep mine for a while after acquiring a new one, there is always a "honeymoon" period with a new guitar, but you may find yourself going back to the old guitar after a while.

Granted, may not be the case with a cheap Squier or Harley Benton.

Dallaz likes this.
  8. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Yep, my 2013 SGJ in white will never be sold, nor will my Les Paul CM. Both have the same rounded profile neck, both are excellent.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The white ones are less common or anyone who has one isn’t selling because I rarely see listings for them when I was looking for one in the past.

10. OldDog

OldDog Member

All of my guitars are easily accessible to me at any time. No effort whatsoever to snag one. In the period of a week, I will have played all of them. Sometimes just for 10 minutes or so, but they all get played. A lot of times, if I'm having trouble playing a piece I change guitars and work through the problem. They all feel different, they all sound different. They're all really good guitars. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I really like the change in my hands.

Yeah, I could see having to send one off if you needed it to raise funds for something better but I'd be more inclined to put in some overtime rather than get rid of something I thought well enough of to bring home.

I just can't see getting rid of any of my guitars. Of course, I'm just one guitar short of having a perfect collection.

Dallaz, Rain and arcticsg like this.
  11. sayeth

sayeth Member

Nothing wrong with selling guitars you aren't playing or aren't vibing with. I do it quite often, mostly because of my lack of a budget for new gear! If I am content, I dont sell anything, but if I'm looking for something new or need a new jolt of inspiration that a new guitar might bring, then I don't hesitate to list a guitar I'm not using to fund a new purchase. My collection would be bigger if I held on to everything, sure, but so would the arguments with my wife! :rofl:

Rain likes this.
  12. sayeth

sayeth Member

Also, I have to say I love how WORN that is!

13. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Short of needing the space a guitar & case take up or needing the money, why sell any of them unless you just do not like them & or do not want them?

I've had severe sellers remorse over several guitars in my time & I've personally just taken to holding onto anything I get my hands on when it comes to musical anything.

I've even taken to loaning some guitars I don't see myself using to various people that are in need of an instrument to play or learn on. That feels good on many levels and.. your guitar is never really gone for good!

sayeth and OldDog like this.
  14. sayeth

sayeth Member

I recently sold a PRS S2, was a great guitar but I wasn't vibing with it. I ended up with my 2012 SG Standard, so all is well, but I sold it to my Uncle, whos been after one, so its still local and available for me to use! Just riffin' on the "your guitar is never really gone for good" theme!

15. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Perfecto !

sayeth likes this.
  16. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. As a kid I "suffered" from morbid nostalgia and severe attachment to things. Then when I left home, I had to leave quite a lot of what I owned behind. It was a challenge but I eventually came to appreciate the freedom of not having to care for all that stuff and being able to travel light.

Since then, I've started all over too many times to count. I've moved by bus, by sedan, I've even moved by plane. Every time I had to leave stuff behind, give it or sell it - including the vast majority of the guitars and amps I owned. Of all the things I've left behind, there are but very few things that I actually miss. And many of those were actually replaceable. My old Line6 POD is one of those things - when we were touring and I got tired of working with software amp sims, I started missing the POD. But it was a matter of a couple of days to find one.

But that's just me and I understand that some instruments cannot be replaced - my first US Strat and my white LP Studio are exemples of that.

Worblehat likes this.
  17. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

This means the amount of money and the size of the house you own define the number of guitars you have. I don't think is how it should be. At least not for me. My actual needs should have the most influence on what I purchase and own.

The desire to keep as much stuff as possible is an ingrained human behaviour and I haven't been an exception most of my life (similar to Rain's experience). But at some point I realized that having things that I don't really use or need (even if they have nostalgic value) have negative impact on my life. I need to take care of those things and store them and they compete for my attention which makes it hard to focus on the important things and activities. Sure, I understand the fear of letting something go and later regret it. But this fear is mostly irrational and unfounded. In my experience giving away or selling something contributes to happiness as you only have things that you really like and it allows you to enjoy those things even more. So I recommend to anyone to try and practice some minimalism and see the benefits.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with collecting guitars as long as it makes you happy. In the end that's what is most important!

Dallaz and Rain like this.
  18. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Interesting, and I was thinking about something similar just a few days ago, when I saw that my wife had left her bass in the living room. I started thinking - why don't I leave guitars in other rooms? This is a rather big house that we live in, with no kids...

And I don't have a rational, definitive answer to that question.

But I do feel like if I own a guitar, it should be because I really want to play it, to bond with it. I cannot have a casual relationship with an instrument. I need to create some kind of unique bond. And if a guitar is interesting enough for me to want to play it and record it, I don't want it to be sitting in the living room. It should be in the studio with me, along with my amps and the rest of my music gear.

I can always grab an instrument from here and bring it with me downstairs if I want to spend some time there and play guitar. I just can't leave it there once I'm done. It belongs with me in this room where I spend most of my time.

On the other hand, I never said I wasn't weird. :p

sayeth likes this.