SHOW US YOUR CUSTOMISED SG!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Skinny Al, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Skinny Al

Skinny Al Member

I´m curious to what you play with these! Any soundbites to share? tremolo ones :)

2. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

The only push pull that I have on the triple P90 SG does the series parallel switching. That gives me a thick and
    meaty tone with putting a pair of P90's in series. As an added bonus, it's also hum canceling in several different pickup combos.

I did these two Epiphone G400's the way you mentioned, with the full on Page mod .
    They both had coil splitting, series / parallel switching and out of phase switching on the bridge & neck pickups.
    With both still using the 3 way switch as intended, but only using one volume & tone pot. The middle pickup was added via the other volume & tone pot.
    [​IMG]

I found the witch hats kind of slippery to grab & pull, for the push pills, so I dremeled a grove around them &
    fitted an o ring. Bingo! problem solved. Now I have something to grab onto.
    [​IMG]
    You really have to look very closely to even see the o rings, but this little mod has a tremendous impact
    on the functioning of the push pulls.
    [​IMG]

papagayo, dexspeed, 58pit and 5 others like this.
  3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

That's a tell-tale sign of a 1969 Gibson!

Believe it or not, I liked my newer SG (a 2007 SG 61 RI) better and ended up selling the '69. And then I liked my japanese Greco better than the 61RI and sold that one too.

Skinny Al and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

My first Gibson was a used 1969 SG Special that same color.

I can relate and prefer the more modern 2002-2005 SG Special Faded with full width 1-11/16 nut, tune-o-matic bridge and humbuckers over the 1969 I had.

Would not mind finding a used 1999-2001 SG Classic Ebony. Those bound necks with dots look awesome.

bwotw likes this.
  5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

The O rings are an excellent idea.
    Thank you!

Dave Johnson likes this.
  6. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I never looked at these as "customized" guitars,
    just modded to suit my playing needs but since
    the only original parts left on the upper one are
    the body, neck and bridge, and the only original
    parts on the lower one are the body, neck and
    pickguard, I guess they both fall into
    the customized category.

0226181817.jpg

0217181130.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    arcticsg, Dave Johnson and Biddlin like this.
  7. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Mods: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates as neck pup, Angus Young sig as bridge pup, frame to align the bridge pick up with the strings.
    WP_000324_zpse3c94078.JPG

WP_000322_zps17546d27.JPG

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s a nice setup, I would imagine those pickups would compliment each other well. Nice work on the pick up ring !

Susihukkanen likes this.
  9. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

[​IMG]

........ My mods? I took off the Min-ETune and changed the truss rod cover :rofl:

[​IMG]

papagayo, arcticsg, 58pit and 4 others like this.
  10. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Yes, they compliment each other very well. At first I had the AY only, but that sounded with the original 490R neck pick up quite strange. Almost like they are in different key. With PG the sound came in balance again.

arcticsg likes this.
  11. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Now, I’m not the one for shiny chrome things, but I added this pickguard to my '61 reissue today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Tampa, papagayo, dexspeed and 6 others like this.
  12. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

looks perfect!

13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

All my Gibson SGs are modded to some degree. I have an Epiphone Special '61 reissue that is stock, quite simply because I keep it at work and don't play it much. If I played it more I'd probably change the pickups. But the modded ones are these:
    [​IMG]
    From left to right:
    2013 Future Tribute. I put this one together from a husk. If you compare it to a stock one, I added a pickguard, changed the TRC, changed the knobs and swapped the A2 magnets in the '57 Classic pickups for A5s, and I flipped the neck pup magnet around as well. Ah, and the wiring harness is at the moment the one that was originally in the Derek Trucks SG.

2005 Faded Special. I added a Vibrola, swapped the TRC and knobs, and gave it a wide-bevlled pickguard (not in the picture). The neck 490R pup has a flipped A5 magnet instead of the original A2, and the bridge 490T has been pulled out in favor of a '57 Classic+ with an A5 magnet. The bridge pickup has a pickup ring as well (not in the picture either).

2014 Derek Trucks signature. The wiring harness has been changed for 50s wiring with linear pots. I added a pickguard for looks. At the moment the neck pickup is a 57 Classic (A2) and the bridge has a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (A2). I used to have a set of Throbak PG-102s in it, but I put them in my Les Paul Goldtop instead. I will most likely change the pickups again in this SG, but I haven't decided what I want yet.

1975 SG-II. This one is not modded much, but I have changed the bridge. The stock bridge is compensated for a wound g, so I exchanged it for one made for an unwound g instead. When I got the guitar, it had Kluson Deluxe tuners on, but I found a set of original three-on-a-plate ones and out them on when two of the Klusons started falling apart.

Why do I mod everything? Simply because I can. It's fun, and I like tinkering with my guitars to get them exactly where I want them. I never needed to do anything to them (except for the tuners on the SG-II), but it is part of the fun for me.

papagayo, dexspeed, ScottC and 5 others like this.
  14. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Stripped it down again,just got to set it back up! This was originally a worn black ,which are alittle rarer and liked by many,and the back is still original,after 5 different tries, I'm fairly happy this time with the result.. 20180321_121317.jpg

15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

My mods are purely cosmetic, and only because I happened to have all these parts in the bin already when I got the guitar. Changed the TRC, knobs and switch tip and slapped a poker chip on it.

[​IMG]

58pit and LarryC like this.
  16. Skinny Al

Skinny Al Member

Not sure I have seen the original ever but your finish looks great! Wondering still, what year is this made and where? And how many pieces of wood are glued together to make that Body? I count over ten but might be wrong? Not sure it does anything to the sound, it might, but I wanna know what Gibson is up to?

17. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

20180321_153304.jpg
    It's actually 3 pieces,the grain makes it look like 10 pieces though;),I sanded the crap out of it since it had so much prior paint,laquer,dye,poly,glitter,patio furniture spray paint.etc.:wow: it was originally a '09,worn black finish,which I think was a limited run for GC or Sam Ash. I Juniorized it.historic tailpiece,truss rod cover,faber bridge/inserts,white button Gibson tuners,Rio Grande BBQ pickup,reshaped back of neck,moved knob location,etc.
    edit: All back together and playing great!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    dexspeed, arcticsg, 58pit and 3 others like this.
  18. Cameron Huthert

Cameron Huthert Member

How’d you get those witch hats to be so flush with the body? When I put mine on, the allparts witch hats, they float way above the body

19. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

I removed some material from under the center of each knob with a dremel. That way they sit down a lot further over the pot shaft & nut.

Cameron Huthert likes this.
  20. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm really wondering why did I put the black pickguard back.... cream is awesome!

papagayo, dexspeed, pancake81 and 5 others like this.