SHOW US YOUR CUSTOMISED SG!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Skinny Al, Mar 15, 2018.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

2. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Ok....so I picked up the Diablo. I didn't have the heart to part with my Les Paul.
    SG Diablo 3.jpg SG Diablo 4.jpg Sg Diablo.jpg SG Diablo 2.jpg

3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

4. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Member

5. robbothorp

robbothorp New Member

Here's my lefty 2004 Gibson SG Standard. An SG doesn't look right without a lyre vibrola, but finding one lefty takes a bit of work. I think it looks right now. I also found a pair of Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens second hand that I installed (highly recommended). With a new roller saddle bridge and a set of .12 strings the vibrato works just like it should. I also added new lefty pots, knobs and knob pointers along with Luxe Bumblebee .022 caps. Easily my best guitar. And coolest. IMG_0325 (kopia).jpg

dub-setter, papagayo, JCarno and 6 others like this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That's a looker !

7. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

I am not sure but you now have me curious. I will check and get back to you on that.

8. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Yeah....that is sweet. My next SG is goin g to be a custom in ebony with gold hardware. I never been much of the gold hardware type but on a ebony SG it just hits me.

9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I made some changes to my 2017 SG Special Mini. Added a pickguard and switch washer.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    JCarno, Gahr, Dave Johnson and 2 others like this.
  10. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Diablo.jpg Diablo.jpg Diablo.jpg Damn dude....I think it looked sweet as hell before you made some changes. Looks good after as well. I also made a few changes. I changed the pickup rings to cream and took off the chrome knobs.

Cream just made it pop more. And for the knobs....I just didn't like them.

11. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Ok forum......I had a change of heart for the Diablo. At first I loved it and couldn't put it down. But then something hit me and I realized it didn't feel like I was playing an SG. I couldn't figure out what it was but I knew it didn't feel right.

Then I knew just what it was....I felt like I was playing my Les Paul. As weird as that sounds it did and that's when the change of heart happened. Don't get me wrong I love my LP but I also love SG's (probably even more then LP's).

Now it didn't feel totally like a Paul but there was definitely a closeness. To me anyway. I am thinking it had to do with the carved top causing the resemblance.

Then I started to notice the tone. It didn't have that SG snap that I fell in love with. It was warmer then every other SG I played. Hence the comparison I started to make with the LP.

So I started to look again and there she was. This guitar just called out to me as soon as I looked at it. The good thing was it was at the same guitar shop so the return wouldn't be an issue.

Then the next morning I drove to where she was and waited for the doors to open so I can check her out. This guitar was in perfect condition. Other then a few love marks it was perfect.

Now don't get me wrong...the Diablo was a beautiful guitar and it played nice. But after a few days of really playing I knew that it wasn't my type of SG.

Now the one I exchanged it for will be the one that will always be with me. I am sure everyone knows that feeling. I did email Gibson the S/N and asked for some info on it.

Because there seems to be a lot of different opinions out there concerning this SG. Ok people I went on enough and sorry for this War and Peace post. Take care all.

thumbnail.jpg
    SG.jpg

12. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

And yes....they did have those mini pots. For real I never even seen them before. But that guitar is gone. After playing it for awhile I realized it wasn't for me as well. Even though it was an SG it just didn't feel like one as much. So I found a silverburst and took the Diablo back for it. And I couldn't be happier.

13. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

I always like an excuse to show off my '82 Special. 490t and 490r zebras (this came with some dimarzios in it I did not care for) wired with two volumes and one tone, which acts as a push pull coil split for both neck and bridge. Some vintage style Grovers added as well as my dice knobs that I made from, well, dice. Schaller bridge was stock on these and the paint is original also - it's an oxidized silver.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with a couple of modded G400s. Blue one has a roller bridge and graphtech nut - Green one has a Floyd FRX and the obvious neon green refinish. Everything else is stock (Surprisingly, I like stock G400 pickups....)
    [​IMG]

14. Roca

Roca Active Member

What is the tremolo setup on the green one?

15. Karlos Screamer

Karlos Screamer New Member

Here is mine!!! 120th anniversary Standard with real mirror pickguard and B5 Bigsby.

(is my first post, I don't know if you can see the photo :( ummm )[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  16. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

I always liked the tone of the stocked pickups myself. I love the 82 Special also. There is just something about SG's that really hit me. Hopefully now that Gibson is going through this transition there will start to show the SG the love it deserves.

There is so many finishes I would love to see on the SG. So tired of heritage cherry and ebony.
    Give it some fresh new finishes like Daytona blue or hunter green or whatever. Just give it some love and keep the prices at about $1300. Like it was a few years ago.

dexspeed likes this.
  17. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Dude that is pretty...love the pickguard. I always thought a Bigsby looked cool as sh*t on a SG. I saw a three PU ebony custom with a Bigsby with gold hardware and it was gorgeous. I really don't care to much for gold hardware but that guitar was stunning.

Karlos Screamer likes this.
  18. DrBGood

Real mirror ... you mean glass ?

19. Karlos Screamer

Karlos Screamer New Member

Yes!!! Lol
    a very fine job of a good luthier, no sharp edges!
    [​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  20. DrBGood

WOW !What did he use to cut it ?
    You don't want those screws too tight.