Show us your small tube amps!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by oldrockfan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Very Cool amp would like to see more pics. I checked out
    your other vids also. Did I hear a lil Kim Simmonds in that
    slide vid reminded Me OF tell Mama. Nice stuff Gtone.
    Frank

CATMANDUE likes this.
  2. dampsneaker

dampsneaker Well-Known Member

Just scored this little beastie. It was a "Blem" for $80 off at Zzounds and didn't have a single "blem" on it anywhere. It's the HT-1R with the 'verb. One lonely watt that drips tone at low, neighbor friendly volumes. Keeping this on the table next to my desk so I can practice while I surf or just sit and enter the 'zone'. Only had it for less than a whole day but can tell already that I'm gonna be liking this little box a lot. Already ordered a better tube set for it. :laugh2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my review...

[​IMG]

3. purple dragon

purple dragon New Member

My small amp

Attached Files:

Azz169 likes this.
  4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Dude a big congrats on a little Tube tastiness for a tiny price!!! Many of the online stores "blems" are actually returns, they just can't sell as new. :)

dampsneaker and AngusMadeMeDoIt like this.
  5. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

I didnt know Blackstar has a one watt monster. Cheers!

CATMANDUE and dampsneaker like this.
  6. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Yeah those guys make all sorts of things! I've seen and heard a guy in a music store playing a 1 watt Blackstar head through a Marshall 4x12 and it sounded awesome.

HT-1RH Head Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar

Not as convenient as the combo though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    dampsneaker likes this.
  7. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Here's my small tube amp

...Crate V5. 5 watts. OK for low volume clean with single coils. 'buckers drive it too much, and you don't want this amp working too hard. :ohno:

[​IMG]
    From the Top:
    [​IMG]
    And the back:
    [​IMG]

But it IS solidly built.:applause:

CATMANDUE and eS.G. like this.
  8. dampsneaker

Forgive the 5 day delayed response here but yeah, I hesitate to buy a blem instrument online but figured with an amp, who cares if it has a scratch on the tolex or something if I can save some scratch. Turns out it was flawless. The box was opened and taped shut and that was the "blem". Yup, I can live with that. Like you say, likely a return in perfect shape.

Also, I did replace the tubes with a premium set meant as an upgrade specifically for this little amp from The Tube Store, and while it was an improvement and I'm glad I did it, I gotta say the tubes that came stock weren't too shabby either. When I opened it up I expected to find a couple of Chinese bottles but lo and behold, it had a Sovtek 12AX7/7025 and an Electro-Harmonix 12AU7A/ECC82 in there. It sounded great right out of the box but I can't help myself. I suffer from hopeless upgrader syndrome. :squint:

9. dampsneaker

That's amazing that it'll drive a 4x12! I plugged mine into a 1x12 8 ohm cab I have and it sounded damn good too although it really is just fine with the 8" speaker that's in the box using it as a practice amp. According to the manual it will drive any 4-16 ohm cabinet. I almost went for the head you referenced but the blem for $80 off was the decider that got me to pull the trigger on the combo.

10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Here's my giant-killer Rivera Pubster 25:

[​IMG]

It's been retubed with JJ's, both pre-amp and power-amp. The stock Eminence has been (seriously) upgraded to a Celestion Greenback 10, and I've installed a Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator to allow me to get the power section cooking at lower volumes:

[​IMG]

Dave Johnson, eS.G. and 83 Blazer like this.
  11. rlh5599

rlh5599 Member

I have 2 small amps, (and a Tweed Deluxe MOJO clone)
    1st up, my home kit built MOJO 5F1 Champ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then my KC/Boothill Special. 12V6 power, 5751 pre, ss rect, about 3.5-4 watts of just plain grouchy, (think Tweed Deluxe on 12, only at conversation loudness..) in an old Marshall MG10 Chassis-Cab...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Good work, mate! I'd love to hear more about the Tweed one, as it has me intrigued. Lovely work there!

CATMANDUE likes this.
  13. rlh5599

rlh5599 Member

Thanks Alex! Which Tweed, the Deluxe or the Champ?
    They are both MojoTone kits, built by me, and I love 'em. I like simple and there isn't much simpler than just a volume, or a volume and tone.
    MPC Amplification in NZ has several vintage style amps, including a Princeton Tweed style head or combo. I am not sure about kit manufacturers down under, but I believe there are some. Shipping from the US to Aust can be a little prohibitive for kits, because of the size and weight.
    I believe there are a couple guys from down your way over on the TDPRI board. Might want to cruise over there and check it out.
    Shock Brother's DIY Amps - Telecaster Guitar Forum

MPC Amplifiers - MPC Amplification

I love building and modifying stuff. I've wanted to build an amp for over 40 years, and just recently had the chance to do these 3. It's not cheap, and they CAN bite you, but it's really gratifying to plug your guitar into something you built and hear sound come out. Almost like it's a part of you...

Alex_SG likes this.
  14. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

The other option is to source the parts from local suppliers. The small Fender amp designs are very simple (as are most classic valve amps, regardless of manufacturer) and there are loads of sites online that will provide layout and wiring diagrams. Once you have them there's no need to factor in the profit margin of the kit vendor. Even with buying all components, top quality valves, special tools, my choice of cabinet covering, etc. I reckon my JTM45 clone came in at around £400. Compare that with the prices of supplied kits from the likes of TAD, Metroamp and Weber. And once you've got your head around the first build they get easier.

rlh5599 likes this.
  15. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, the 5F1 Champ. That looks bloody beautiful!

rlh5599 likes this.
  16. Tig

Tig Member

Nothing special, but I get plenty of tonal range from both amps. Sometimes I like to run both with a A-B-Y box.
    The trusty Egnater Tweaker 15. Being cathode biased, you can even change out the 6v6 power tube pair to EL34, 6L6, KT88, 6550, or 5881 for different flavors. I have some EL34's in now and they sound great when cranked but still have sweet, glassy cleans. I'm running it into my old Epi Valve Jr. 1x12 with the surprisingly good Eminence Lady Luck.
    [​IMG]

The Fender Super Champ X2. They took the XD and managed to make it better. I wanted a 12" speaker so I went with the head. I can't say enough positive things about this little hybred amp. Sure, the Fender amp models are incredible, but the Vox AC model (one clean, one dirty/compressed) are my favorites. I paired it up with a custom cab and bought a slightly used WGS Reaper a friend used during a speaker comparison project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I'd love a nice Dr. Z, my budget will keep me closer to $1000 for my next amp.

Dave Johnson, CATMANDUE and eS.G. like this.
  17. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

My latest on this segment: Marshall Class 5 and an old VS112 (Valvestate) -cab, now loaded with a '93 Celestion G12T-75 speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE and eS.G. like this.
  18. chasbo

chasbo Member

I had a builder in Nashville, Bob McGilpin, put a little amp head together for me. It uses either one EL34 or one EL84 for the power tube section and a pair of 12AX7's for a dual preamp section. It has standard tone controls and a switch that allows the use of cabs with 4, 8 or 16 ohm speakers. It's a brilliant little amp that is dialed into two wonderful British amp sounds. He calls it the MV3484. I wouldn't sell it for the world.

[​IMG]

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Nice amp dude..........but that UGLY hunk of wood in front takes away from the aesthetic, you should ship it to me and save the amp the embarrassment. --just trying to help.
    :)

sg jones and chasbo like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Cool rig...

(LOL eS.G.......... Nice try)

chasbo likes this.