Show us your small tube amps!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by oldrockfan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

twang did the mods on my blackheart bh5.
    frankd

nohope likes this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

My newest, Peavey Valve King II Micro Head 20/5/1 watt
    [​IMG]

My Ampeg GVT15H on top of my Marshall DSL15H (which I modded to make the lead ch, a DSL lead1 instead of Lead2, and smoothed the distortion out a bit). BOTH are on top of a Blackstar ID:60 TVP (heck of a SS amp).

[​IMG]

3. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

BUMP! :D

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread so here's my golden opportunity.
    A chance sighting got me this little beauty at a bargain price...

[​IMG]

A Savage Audio Macht 6. Six watts of single-ended Class A into a Mojotone 12" speaker with the added goodness of tremolo. You don't see too many of these this side of the Atlantic. Perhaps that's why it slipped under most people's radar? :hmm:

[​IMG]

Simple controls - just the way I like 'em: volume, tone, tremolo depth and speed.

[​IMG]

Haven't had the chance to fire it up yet as I only picked it up yesterday. I can hardly wait. :smile:

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I've posted this picture before elsewhere on ETSG, but I like it so much I'll do it again:
    [​IMG]

Vox AC4C1-BL. Nice cleans and a sweet driven sound too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Dave Johnson, frankd, eS.G. and 3 others like this.
  5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Nice VOX, but it's 100 euro more than the AC4TV, 200 euros more than the AC4TVmini... I have been looking and thinking about these hard recently - the added gain control is pretty essential though. Hmm... I don't have the money! No.

Don't know how I missed this excellent thread, so much great info here.

Anyways, here's the baby 1 watt Randall. Sounds great. Is this the first Randall on this thread, 13 pages in???

20150617_192751_resized.jpg

20150617_192807_resized.jpg

20150617_192745_resized.jpg

6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Not a great pic but a damn great amp
    Bugera Vintage 5 and a few of the "Usual Suspects"
    [​IMG]

Dave Johnson, Ess and Bettyboo like this.
  7. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

My smallest tube amp is a homebrew I put together a few years ago in 2009.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started life as a basic Trinity 18 watt Marshall chassis kit. But I already had 2 EL84 amps so I built it for a pair of 6V6's by swapping out a couple of resistors and using a transformer set from a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Wanted to keep it compact & light so I shoehorned the chassis and a 12" Lil Texas neo mag speaker into the tightest cabinet I could make. Shoved the speaker to one side to clear the output transformer & power tubes and covered it all in luggage grade tweed. The whole thing only weighs 28lbs. ready to rock.

[​IMG]

Then I stuffed it full of N.O.S. RCA glass.

[​IMG]

It has 2 separate channels that can be used alone or jumpered together to fatten things up.

[​IMG]
    Its a great little amp. Probably an honest 15 or so watts of output power. And with that efficient neodymium speaker it's loud. Can hold it's own in bar gigs. Had a weak moment a few weeks back and offered it up in a guitar swap. Figured I could always build another one... Kind of glad it's still here.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Oh that is friggin YUMMY......and you topped it off with TWEEEEEEEEEED....my favorite color! ;)

Dave Johnson likes this.
  9. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

:bowdown:
    I really have to finish a couple of builds...including a Trinity Tramp head.:bowdown:
    Great stuff!

Dave Johnson likes this.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear that. :shock:

11. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

I dig it! This (Vox AC4C1-BL) is my daily practice amp. If I tire of my OD pedal, I just crank the gain on this beauty. I should just skip the pedal entirely.

Gahr likes this.
  12. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Hi, this is the amp I built for home use. Built into the chassis & cab of a discarded, unworking transistor amp. This little rip snorter uses an ECC99 twin triode as the output stage (push pull) for maybe a couple of watts output. A couple of 12AX7's make up the tube compliment. Goes from crystal clear cleans to extreme output stage overdrive at reasonable volume. Sounds huge thru a 4x12. The next thing I'll try is a variable out off the speaker output to re amp with my 50 watt marshall clone. Cheers WP_20150621_005.jpg WP_20150621_003.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  13. RobV

RobV Active Member

I think the Vox is decent although I much preferred the Head/12" cab over the Combo. I had both. I actually just traded mine for a Jet City 20w so a guy could have a smaller practice amp. I like my Randall better. When my Randall arrived the cab was cracked bad but the amp worked good and sounded good thru my 2x12 so I didn't even bother sending it back. Just pulled it out of the combo and stuck in my unused space of my rack and jam it :) Thinking of buying or attempting to make a proper head cab for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bettyboo likes this.
  14. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ took me a while, but now I see; that's the innards of the Diavlo (not sure why it says RVC?). That looks like the bigger tube (an actual power tube), so I'm presuming it's the 5w combo that you've turned into a head? Make sure not to kill yourself with the capacitors and all; any young children around your house? :shock:

:dude::dude::dude:

How are you finding the sounds? Your settings are right on the end of overdrive and strarting to think about going into distortion (if yours works like mine), but I reckon on the 5w that setting's pretty loud already!

Judging by that geetar, that amp and those pedals, you have a pretty rocking sound going on - many fights with the neighbours? :D

15. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

I posted this in a NAD once: [​IMG]
    I love this thing. The only thing I don't like about it is its lack of a headphone jack, but when I have spare time I will check into the possibility of making an adapter to fit the line out.

eS.G. and Bettyboo like this.
  16. RobV

RobV Active Member

It's basically a Diavlo with out the extra outputs on the back. I think that's what the difference is,if you look next to it there is a little attenuator. Makes life a little easier. I own 1/2 a duplex and at times it seems like my neighbors kids are coming thru the wall and they seem not to care or respect us out there reving his rusted up no exhaust having 20 year old Nissan Sentra. Yes it's a 6v6 JJ & Ruby's in the preamp. Same with the Jet City. Shoot some times I run both at the same time. Screw the neighbors :p If you knew them you would say the same thing!

Crazy_8 and Bettyboo like this.
  17. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

Small tube amps... absolutely... you might recognize some of these from my other posts...

first up... "The Amp Of Death"... Hand wired point to point baby! LOL a 60s something garage build by a Milwaukee based maker who's lost to the sands of time... It's the first tube amp I ever purchased... maybe a decade ago or so... I upgraded the tiny hand-held radio speaker to a 6" Weber... When teamed with pedals, it makes for an interesting little recording amp... I have no proof that it's never electrocuted anyone... I just assume that it has...

AmpOfDeath.jpg AmpOfDeathb.jpg

Next up... My Epiphone Valve Jr... First version head... got it right after they were released... I don't love it... I did the Bitmo Trio mod... Still don't love it... I'll probably keep it though... I tend not to flip gear easily... eventually I may need a warehouse...

VJ.jpg

Now the good stuff... My Crate Palomino V8... 5 watts of utter awesomeness... 10" speaker.... That it's of Vietnamese origin doesn't seem to be a problem... Found it in my favorite Mom and Pop shop... She sings perty when you crank her up... Even more-so when you clean boost... It's a crunch machine that cleans up wonderfully using the volume on the guitar... It even has an FX loop which works really nice... I did swap the 12AX7 for a 12AU7 to tame the gain stage... It also hangs with a live drummer way better than one would think... best $100 I ever spent on an amp...

CPV8.jpg

and the classic... '62 Gibson GA-19RVT Falcon... Roughly 12 watts of output I think... It spent 35 years sitting in a closet... it belonged the wife of my childhood best friend... was her father's... I paid them a visit one day when they were just setting up their home after the marriage... The conversation turned to my musical exploits and his wife piped up about "that old amp" which was over at the house they were cleaning out... and then they just gave it to me... it is among my most cherished possessions... I'll never sell it... and why would I? It does need some service right now, because it's still 100% original, but it's a beautiful sounding amp... This amp has the most incredible reverb circuit ever... It's on it's own channel, which means it's volume control is independent from the regular volume control... the tremolo is also really good... I've been watching now for several years as the guitarist community has begun to find out about this amp... and that Gibson also made some other pretty cool amps...

62Falcon.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

wow....................no words.......................just wow

19. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

time has proven me to be more of a collector/tinkerer than a rawk god... though I can bring it if forced to LOL

Jamez and eS.G. like this.
  20. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member