Sideways Vibrola/Vibrato

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jupan, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Billy's car
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Billy's axe.
    Sense a theme?
    And you can tell Rev. Willy they don't look good, David!
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'll be happy to tell Billy that his taste and mine are vastly different! For instance, where is the pickup selector switch? that's a must-have for me.

That spring-loaded mess makes the Stetsbar - which DOES work - look good!

OK, gang, y'all know by now I can't stand the sideways vibrola.....I'll quit posting about how big a POS it is.

But it still a non-functional counterweight of dubious value.

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. jupan

jupan Member

LOL!

Art is highly subjective, luckily :)

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

de gustibus non disputandum est

Alex_SG likes this.
  5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic New Member

If you really want to look at the thing, and use it for ballast it'll be okay.

You can replace the springs with bushings and disable it so it doesn't tempt you to dump your guitar out of tune.

6. jupan

jupan Member

Thanks for the advice. I've got one coming my way, but I'm not definitely sure whether to install it or not.

7. Oldgibsonguy

Oldgibsonguy Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this, but I received my 61' w/ sideways tremolo yesterday. As pointed out, off the shelf and out of the box the guitar was a tuning nightmare. After replacing the strings, tying them correctly, and playing the guitar in for about an hour I found the tuning to be as solid as a rock. Bending using my pinky was pretty easy with the tailpiece folded and out of the way and the strings returned to a tuned position when bent up or down.

Let's not get crazy though because the tailpiece won't replace a Bigsby or any other tailpiece for that matter. It does however give the guitar a look, for many of us, that nothing else has, and that look is from a tailpiece that hasn't been produced since the 60's.

I bought this SG because it's unique, because I think the price is lower than it should be, and because the value will only go up.

The guitar itself is a great SG specimen. The color is right, the finish perfect, the horns are period correct, the sound is amazing (And the tailpiece help.), and the neck is very special. The neck feels thinner and less rounder than SG necks I've played in the past, and when compared to the SG's I already own that proved to be true. One aspect of the neck that I really like is the additional 1/16" width at the nut. for some reason or another it changes the way the guitar plays in a very good way. And sustain? Forever.

8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

The sideways thingy causes no tuning issues whatsoever
    if you turn it upside down and fill it up with epoxy.

JohnnyGoo and Alex_SG like this.
  9. Oldgibsonguy

Oldgibsonguy Member

That's a good one. They redesign and tightened the tolerance's. The sliding parts no longer bind on the rails and return to their original position.

Can you imagine how much epoxy it would take to fill the back of that beast? The back would be so heavy you'd have to lay on your side to play it.

Prior to moving to my current day job, which I took when I stopped touring, I worked as a model maker/experimental machinist for the government. I have already had the tailpiece apart and have a perfect fix for locking the tremolo, put in a place where it won't be seen or lower the value of the guitar.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Best advice I've heard yet!

I suggest making an ashtray out of it to go with the Tele covers.

I just do NOT dig that hunk of metal on an SG.

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

"...like putting a Mack Truck bulldog on a Lambo."

- Tony M. -

12. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I noticed in another thread that Elvis wasn't a fan of the side-to-side vibrola. Here's another pic of EP with the modified unit on his SG. There''s more info on this at the Scotty Moore site.

[​IMG]

I think Tony McPhee of the Groundhogs did something similar to his SG/LP. :)

13. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    What, play it unplugged? Don't think so.

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to notice that Hollywood detail.

15. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Yeah, like half the big name bands gigging these days are doing it live (according to some sources)! :dunno:

16. jupan

jupan Member

Thank you all for bringing this thread to life again. I haven't received the Sideways Vibrola yet, so no installation so far. I'm still not sure whether to install it or not. I'm going to ask the luthier about it first.

I did replace the stock 57' Classic PAF pickups, though, with "Bangers" from Cream T Pickups. I can tell you, it was money well spent. The instrument really came to life with these. A nice range, with powerful, open sound. Definitely not compressed og harsh in the high tones. And the middle pos. with the "Peter Green-tone" is a new experience, which I find very intriguing in the bluesrock genre.

Biddlin likes this.
  17. jupan

jupan Member

Changed the stock 300k linear volume pots the other day for CTS audio taper 500k. Made a HUGE difference.
    This guitar is now sounding awesome!

In order to make it perfect, could anyone give me some advice on how to set the pickup height correctly?

Rock regards,
    Jupan

18. Biddlin

Lord, give me clients like Jupan, that I may retire in Hawaii, Amen.:laugh2:
    Joe Walsh knows what he's talking about and teaches you a couple of riffs, in the bargain.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKTXTWbI4FU"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 1 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyF0m3m1Ofc"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 2 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfuH70XzQF0"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 3 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbdEIk-13XE"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 4 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG1MSZIysPQ"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 5 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeHgXlnh1c"]Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 6 of 6) - YouTube[/ame]
    My advice is to watch all six segments, but I believe he adjusts the pickup height on segments 5 and 6.

SG John and Alex_SG like this.
  19. jupan

jupan Member

Thanks for the videos!

So, you think I spend too much pesos on this guitar? :)

20. Biddlin

If I was your luthier I might think it not enough, but for perspective,
    I just bought a new 2013 LPJ for what you've spent on pickups and pots.
    ;>)/

dbb and Alex_SG like this.