Singing, how do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Layne Matz, Jul 24, 2018.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Two words:

Vocal Lessons.

There’s nothing like a good teacher who can work with you and provide instruction in real time, both with just singing and singing while performing.

Believe it or not, even many professional performers have vocal coaches.

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Very helpful! Thank you for those tips, i dont strive to be a singer but I wish I could apply my voice in a manner that is pleasing to listeners. I wish i was a baritone but my voice just aint that deep. I dont know my vocal type... I'm going to further explore this.

Thank you

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

And Doreen McKenna was my vocal teacher in college. Thanks to her, 45 years later I managed to lay down a backing vocal today at a paid session gig. Technique is the bomb

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Who is Doreen Mckenna? I cant find definitive info online. Any relation to Terrence McKenna?

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Doreen was a lovely Scots woman who taught voice and sight reading a Sacramento City College. I believe Mckenna was her married name, no idea what her maiden name might have been.

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock New Member

When I want to sing I look for songs like Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" or Survivors' "Eye of The Tiger". I always start with them. I know that I'm not a good singer (in my opinion), especially while playing, but I try and try again. I need 20 minutes and then I can sing pretty well. To me the most important thing is to don't give up. Stay in a room alone and sing, nobody can judge you. You should practice every day, if you can and if you want to, to see a difference. Maybe voice lessons may help you easier, as someone as said.

How I feel? I started to sing last year and I felt bad, I mean, it was the first time I've listened to my voice singing. I don't mean I cried, but I felt as if I had something inside that blocked me. Luckly this year I haven't had the same problems.
    What about while I play? I need very calm songs, such as "House of The Rising Sun", I like Geordie's version. They help me to concentrate, for this reason I prefer playing the guitar while I sing but I don't menage to do it very well, because of the low attendance of times I train.
    So, don't worry!

My favourite singer/guitarist is Chuck Berry. He was a good example and idol.

7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I would recommend you have a listen to Bob Dylans frist album, itd just him.and an acoustic. Nothing complicated but how he delivers it is stunning. Bob Dylan (Debut Album – 1962): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYq_mcte9NvCCthOQhYEWbjYMVVseFfqz

There is also his Live at the Gaslight album that is really spectacular. Thats the album that made me believe I wanted to play guitar.
    At 18 the guy was already playing all over new york, just him, his lyrics, a guitar and some harmonicas.

It might not be what you are used to but its a GOLDMINE to learn from. Blues in particular. Hard rock, by the way in my opinion is what you get when you take blues and play it as hard and aggressively as you can. The chords and structures are damn near the same excwpt there is a beautiful simplicity of one person and their guitar. Especially if they were black as back then they did not have the opertunities that white people had. Blues was all you could do. Their vocals are someof the most emotional you will ever hear in your life and it's a real learning experience just to listen. For a good calm blues, see that video at the top of the thread of Mississipi John Hurt playing CC rider(you may know the chuck berry version)

Im just preaching this to you because you are young and ypu said you like hard rock. I didnt find the blues right away either and i never knew it would become so important to me and my life until i really dove into it and began listening and examining the music. If you have a lot of empathy you can learn a lot about life just from the blues. Oh and one more thing, I can say almost without a doubt that Angus Young definitely grew up on some blues and early blues rock. Its okay to follow your idols footsteps until you see where you want to go on your own.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Girl_Rock likes this.
  8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Well two things ha ha. Number one you have to sing songs you like. You like those songs apparently so you have that going for ya ...'

But Adele ( who I don't care a lot for anyhow but not relevant ) has a really tough voice and lots and lots of range for someone/anyone to attempt to sing along with. So number two try to find songs/singers that are a match for your natural range and ( well i guess 2.5 ) also try when young and working on singing to pick songs that don't have really wide vocal ranges in terms of how many octaves etc.

Number one also overrules number two and 2.5 but yikes so many rules.

Have fun and try not to work to hard at singing. You should be relaxing not over stressing when singing I know its counter intuitive.

At 15 if possible if school options support any kind of choir stuff seriously think about it. It could be extremely beneficial no matter the tangled personalities / bad material / potential awkwardness ...

Many of the male types who were ok ish to good ish early on had problems adjusting to voice changes brought on by getting older. Females don't have that "quite so much" but everyone goes through vocal range changes as they get older and bigger.

Number three just go for it yikes but see if you can find people that can help ya along the way!?

Girl_Rock and Layne Matz like this.
  9. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Whatever you sing wont be as bad as me singing The End partially a Capella to a bus station of tourists, homeless, and low income bus riders. It wasnt pretty, everyone was uncomfortable and the air felt like sand. By the time i got to "Father i want to kill you, Mother i want to ..." These people had their eyes wide, I was playing horribly and missing a lot of parts but they were still standing watching. At least 15 people. After i sang ,or screamed rather, the notorious line "Mother i want to F*ck you" people were exclaiming things and some walked away. After finishing a woman and her son who looked about 7 walked up and asked me "Are you alright? Do you need some bus fare?".

I dont really like to talk about this experience but it was one killer learning experience, thats for sure.

After that I sang Son Houses "John the revelator" and then "Keep a grinnin". There might be video somewhere online but if there is i havent seen it was at the bus depot in Downtown Nashville.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    Girl_Rock likes this.
  10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Dont worry about it so much... Even if it doesnt come across the way you wanted you can be confident that the people watching would NEVER do what you just did- most of them anyways. Thats what helps me get over the anxiety and panic of singing live, even when I know I dont sound great.

Pardon the typos

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    Girl_Rock and Matt K like this.
  11. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock New Member

I agree and I trust what you said. Yes, Angus grew listening to and playing cover of blues songs, in particulary he loved playing Jimi's and Chuck Berry's solos and riffs. I also know he prefers dixie more than rock music, I can tell you this with certainty because I've read a book about the whole life of his band and its members.
    I'm already following my way, however I need to follow someone's too and maybe take inspiration to improve mine. I think it's normal.
    ...And thanks for the advice about blues music.

GrumpyOldDBA likes this.
  12. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock New Member

Don't worry, I like them, it's not stressing to me singing them. Maybe I've written badly what I meant.

What about Adele's voice? I can sing her songs, her range is not so much a problem to me. I know I should try easyer singers and Survivors' one seems to be it, in my idea. I don't feel stressed while singing these songs (Adele's and Survs' ones), I would be it if I sang for example Axl Rose. But to me the concepts of difficult song and stressful song are different from each other. And this is also a personal experience, I wrote these titles because they are some examples of what I usually sing and because I wanted to answer to Layne Mats' questions.

I don't want to comment negatively on your opinion, I simply accept it and I know that next time I will have to be more careful about what I write. Please let's end it here, this was not the purpose of the thread. Thanks :thumb:

It's true, it's a good idea, yes, but my school doesn't have this things, unfortunately. Thanks again.

13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Sorry I was just rambling ha ha ... Shoot if you have the range to do Adele stuff more power to ya! Your post was fine sometimes we old peeps go on too much.