Singing, how do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Layne Matz, Jul 24, 2018.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I am pretty comfortable with singing.

I function as the main lyricist and vocalist for a folk project I got with a friend, and handle the vocals needed for my own solo stuff as well.

While I haven't practiced my voice quite as much as I ought to in recent years I still sing quite decently, and coming up with vocal harmonies and melodies is second nature to me.

I can pretty much improvise vocal harmonies on the spot if needed.

I sang in the local church choir I think from I was 10 or so, and continued to sing in it till I was 19 or so, first for free in their children choir and then later after my voice had shifted I got transferred to their regular real choir where I even got a small pay for singing at services and other events arranged by the church.

An example of my singing from an unfinished demo with the folk project I got with a friend, with the track "Footprints in the Sand" (if you are not logged into DropBox a box might pop up when clicking the link, encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just right click in the window outside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accesable): https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3241yj1hg8njcy/Footprints in the Sand 10-03 Master.mp3?dl=0

And an example of more laid back "regular" singing from my solo folk project "...and for such a long time", with the track "Sad Folk Song":

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    Layne Matz likes this.
  2. ventura

ventura Member

Had to sing if I wanted to gig. Five sets a night, it helps if everyone in the band is a singer. I was a screamer, kinda had to be playing in front of half stacks with lousy pa’s.

I did this one on a cassette four track back in the day. I copped my right hand picking style from Mississippi John Hurt. Voice result of screaming in bars, booze and smoke.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I can sing. But whenever I began to sing, crows and plants are dying, people are getting mad and losing their minds. Idk why :D:D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:26 AM
    Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. A long time ago i decided "Okay, singing and playing is not working at all. I'll just break to sing. If it works for Zappa and the Kings it will work for me."

Recently I've started singing more while playing, just acoustic songs. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, old blues and folk, etc.

HackeIommi likes this.