Slide Devices. Yours?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Tobacco Worm, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Markm

Markm Active Member

I'm not a very good slide player, but a 9V battery works nice for me on those occasions I slide.

2. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I have not yet tried to play slide and I don't smoke anymore. When I did smoke I always used a Bic lighter. I guess that the plastic would not have the same tone as a metal Zippo :laugh2:

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Two slides for me. The good old Jim Dunlop glass slide, and a really nice ceramic one from Paloma Stone Slides. It is just slightly grippy on the surface, and you can maintain a note by vibrating it slightly. I recommend it highly if you play a lot of slide.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Got a Dunlop glass slide. No good at it, but I got me one just in case I ever decide to learn.

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I use a brass slide on my pinky.

Hendrix used a zippo on All Along the Watchtower.

6. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

5/8 socket. The Craftsman is a bit pedestrian; I much prefer the rich tone I get from my Snap On. But then you get what you pay for.

Just kidding.

I did buy a glass one recently, but had gotten too used to sockets and whatever else was handy. Going to try a pinky slide one day.

7. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread for the first time.

For my Dobro, I use a piece of steel that was bored and polished to fit over my knuckle. I can't believe some of you use 5/8" and 11/16" sockets. Those are so tiny.

With my electrics, I use a glass Coriciden bottle.

And, with my lap steel and Consolette, I use a Steven's steel bar.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Do any of you lap steel and Dobro players use a plain bar like this:

[​IMG]

9. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I use something like this:

[​IMG]

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I have found my favorite tone from one of these...

Spruce Tree Music & Repair, Inc. Guitars, Mandolins, Banjos, Violins, Ukuleles . . .

they are pricey, but it's your
    tone man. I bought one when we were in Madison about five years ago, and for
    some reason it sounded better than anything else... copper plumber's pipe, brass,
    Dunlop glass slide, heavy steel socket... etc etc etc.

I give you guys points for wielding a cigarette lighter and making music, but I
    really like my glass slide from Spruce Tree Music. Good store too, in an acoustic
    sort of way. So I bought another one last year, in case somebody backs a wheelchair
    into my amp or something. (more likely, I'd drop it by accident and have a thousand
    pieces).

11. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

my slide of choice for the past 2 years have been wine & liquor bottle necks. snag them from recycling & return the glass a little "shorter". slice them up with a tile cutter, beer bottles are too thin & self destruct on me, i like thick walled bottles [​IMG] weather you like them or not they do sound different, smokier, bluesier. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Col Mustard likes this.
  12. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

I've made many of these also. The trick is to get a neck that's straight (not curved), thick, and a seam that's flush. Tile cutter does work well if you go slow with LOTS of H2O. I've also used a diamond wheel in a drill press.

I've noticed slightly different tones from the different colors because of the different formulations of bottle glass. Clear, to me, has a good bit of rattle. Brown and green have a much smoother sound. Blue, if you can find it, is the smoothest.

Also because of the taper of the inside diameter, the same slide can be used on the ring finger and inverted for the pinky.

Another cool thing is that now I have about a half a dozen very large, heavy duty drinking glasses in the kitchen cabinet.

All that being said, when I had a store bought glass slide roll off a small table and shatter on the floor at a gig (25 yrs ago), I grabbed a 9v battery for our 3 songs that required slide.

alexander paul likes this.
  13. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Oddly enough after years of playing with a Zippo lighter, I bought the exact model that Susihukkanen has here. I'd made an order from Strings and Beyond for more strings and picks, and sprung for this model slide. Quite thin and large enough to fit over my semi-crippled fingers. I'm glad I went this route too. It was getting hard to keep the old Zippo wedged between my fingers now a days. It was $4.95 well spent I think. :naughty:

14. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Wade, if you hold the Zippo the wrong way it opens and give a nasty sound but held correctly it's chrome plated brass! OOOHH what a sound!
    I still prefer glass to anything! Find (drink) a good bottle of booze and make a slide from it!

15. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Shred, my old hands ain't what they used to be. Holding that old Zippo between the ring and pinky finger like I've done for so many years has become difficult so that's why I went to the glass. Otherwise I'd still be ZIPPIN'!!:naughty::laugh2:

With my super cheap Peavey Raptor 1 converted to open tuning this new glass slide has proven to be a real blessing. I usually never name a guitar, but I've nicknamed the Raptor "Clyde the Slide" just for fun. :)

16. frostys

frostys New Member

I started with Coricidin bottles and used 'em for years. Lately I've been playing a National and the bottle didn't get much volume from the bass strings. After a little trial and error I settled on a 3/4" Craftsman deep socket.

The bottle works best on single note runs on the high strings - it damps out the unwanted harmonics better than the socket. But the socket gets me louder for the bass runs.

As far as electric, it's the Coricidin all the way. Craftsman is too heavy.

Col Mustard likes this.
  17. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Finally another National player around here! :thumb:

18. colchar

colchar Active Member

Dunlop thick walled brass and glass slides for me. Lately I have been spending more time with the glass one than the brass but that could easily change.

19. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

I play lap and pedal steel guitars. Here's a couple old steels that I've collected. The smaller orange one is for lap steel and the larger one for pedal steel. My father gave me the orange one, it's the one he used. Instead of steel for a core it is made from lead and almost as heavy as the larger one, LOL.

[​IMG]

Col Mustard likes this.
  20. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

I seen my Dad using a clip out of a Colt 45 Auto one time.

Col Mustard likes this.