Smoke at Sunset

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Dale, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Here is the newest composition.

Silent recording with IRs. Cool!

The Bass player and Drummer still feel the guitar player is egotistical. The Drummer feels the Bass player plays like a guitarist. The Guitarist and Bassist were sick of the drummer's attitude. They drought in Beta Monkey for the session. Drummer is still not speaking to them.

2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Ive had my fair share of problems in my own three peice. Old drummer didnt want to play as much or as seriosuly as we did( I lead and the bassist) , and the bassist desperately wants to play a different style he coming from punk and grunge whereas my playing comes from blues, blues rock, jazz and jazz fusion. Its a rural area so our options are very limited.

I like the guitar playing, I would advise the guitarist to remember that one of the best things he can do is know when he should leave more space in between notes. I think the bass needs its to be turned up on the EQ, with a litlle more low end. I havent recorded very much and not with a band but I have the ears for it. I am a stickler for live recording, NOT recording the parts separately and then putting them together. I feel that live recording will yeild a more organic product, at the same time its more difficult to get it all perfect so it compells the musicians to be better at what their doing so they dont need to record as many takes every time. Take the Doors for instance, for their first couple albums the songs were so well rehearsed from playing live that there were very few takes needed for each song- maybe no more than two for some. My bassist isnt very good, wants everything tabbed out for him and hates any kind jammimg or spontaneity which is the opposite of what I'm after- the new drummer is so good he put us both to shame he doesn't care either way. He rocks, very jazzy though.

I think almost all the classic recordings of Coltrane, Miles Davis, Django Reimdhart among other jazz musicians were recorded live without any kind of overdubs. Correct me if I'm wrong of course!

So where do you cit in all this? Are you the producer? The Guitarist?

*I cant speak for the guitarists personality but his playing is excellent. I wouldnt say egotistical, but even egotistical playing is ranked very highly among guitarists. Recrence any big name classic rock gutarist and you have some sort of 'whos better contest' between them and someone else.

Dale likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

If it were my band I'd try to loosen up the groove to allow more room for improvisations on a lot of songs- thats not say that you shouldnt have tight songs like this but it doesnt neccisarily let the other instruments shine through so much which isnt the guitarists job but as a musician I think you should play more with yhr other msuicians ratejr than over them. The guitar is the focal point but that doenst mean the bass and drums need to be stuck in a monotanoues rythm becuase that isnt blues- blues is by feeling, even when its wrong and horribly out of place thats the way the blues is sometimes. Like howling wolf said "it aint blues, its just a good beat".

I would add more color tones if it were my song, tones that paint a picture for the listener. I find that one of the best thigns i can do is imagine images of things and try to make a spund that could go with what im imagining- smoke at sunset for instance makes me see an orange sky from a hilltop over dead trees in the winter in the country and a plume of smoke is rising in the distance somewhere. Imaginging thigns helps slow down me down to make better and more tasteful note choices rather than falling into scale patterns and old repetitive habits. Food for thought

Dale likes this.
  4. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Thanks! Great feedback. :thumb: I considered more space with the guitar. Obviously not my best call in the end! I always winder if I have enough bass or not in the piece. I will ramp that up as I move forward with things (and perhaps remix this one). I can't do all parts live though. I am just not that good. :fingersx:

I assume folks picked it up, but just in case. All the parts are really just me. It is intended as some humor. All the things I hear about gutiar players who try to play bass and drums. I usually try to play the drums as well, but I liked this set of loops. So the drummer was left to his own devices this time.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. Layne Matz

Funny, I should have picked up on that. I assumed people didnt want to use names for fear of a bamd member coming across it. I jave considered changing my name on here becuase its my real one and I sont want to stomp on my band members but we all have our fleas and its easier to discuss them with other people on here than it is with the band.

Good little jam, coming from a jazz oriented perspective Id like to hear a little higher volume for the bass, and some jazz drumming. I use the term jazz drumming broadly, jazz drummers seem to have unemding rythm and the capability of soloing with tadte and complexity whilst keeping everything together and playing the general rythm. I refrence anything by Tony Williams for this.

Edit: thats all my opinion by the way, as a fellow musician and I assume you are playing on an SG right? Actually i might guess that to be a Strat neck or middle pickup... Maybe a P90 SG

Dale likes this.
  6. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Thanks! Lead is an SG bridge through fat clean on Mesa V. Rhythms are double tracked Tele's. I use a lot of volume and tone control stuff. I set up the amp with volume and tones rolledback about half way. I THINK the final lead was my 17 Standard. It has a 57(+ ?) in the bridge. It could have been my 14 with a DZ 36th. in the bridge. It was late when I got what wanted in a single take.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Layne Matz

Thanks for taking the time to chat and describe your methods, Im always open to more insight. Id love to record except i dont have the equipment, nor do my band members- but we have played live quite a bit lately. Just found a replacement drummer too, the old one wasnt committed.

I think the best recordings often come when we are taken to extremes- be it physical exhaustion, sleep deprivation, chemical exuberance, serious life troubles(real blues, the kind you get when you dont have enough to eat, you cant find enough work to live, and you just lost your last place to stay), or even something as simple as becoming a studio recluse can all yeild very unique or remarkable results for better or worse.

Dale likes this.
  8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I think it sounds damn good!

Dale and Layne Matz like this.
  9. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Thanks Grumpy.