So about that p94......

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Silverman, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Silverman

Silverman New Member

I have a 2018 that plays, looks and sounds wonderful. If I happened to be in a room with you all right now, I would bring the tips of my fingers to my lips like some sort of French asshole describing a pastry, as that is the only communicative conveyance that could properly illustrate how wonderful it is. Of course, there is a "but".

I miss a single coil in the neck. My SG has the '61s in it. The 61 sounds great in the bridge, but I seem to be having a tough time finding a use for the neck. I also own a G&L fallout with a Hb/p90 combo. It' a great combo and pairs well together. Naturally, I have come across the p94 in a web search.

So what do you say, SG experts? How far off is a p94 from a p90? Does the added size push it further into the HB territory? Will it cure my SC cravings?

I have a hard time judging youtube sound clips, and I never feel as though I can get a real "feel" for a PU until I can test it in my hands with the amp settings near by.

2. Retrop

Retrop Member

Well... have you tried lowering the neck pickup and raising the pole pieces? That's my go-to when I want more top-end and clarity from a neck humbucker.

Never tried a P-94 but it is my understanding that they essentially sound like a P90. Not sure, do they come with the quick connect? a 2018 Standard has the circuit board so the pickups are plug and play. That would be the first hurdle to overcome although it is easily done.

I guess the only way to know is to try one but I can say that about 75% of the time that I have swapped pickups in a guitar that I really liked, I have ended up putting the original pickups back in.

3. Silverman

Silverman New Member

thanks for the advice. I just love that SC neck jangle, but there is wisdom in allowing the guitar to be of use as it was intended.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don’t see how a P-94 can sound the same as a P-90 when the pickups have different geometries from each other.

I would think you would be better off getting a super hot Humbucker for the neck position so that when it is split, it will have a similar output of an F-style single coil in order to get that jangle you are after.

5. Retrop

Retrop Member

Not sure since I have not taken one apart but it is my understanding that the insides of a P-94 (Wind geometry, magnets) are the same, just the outer housing (Plastic with metal ring) are different. I could be wrong though. I have also seen where people prefer the Seymour Duncan offering of a hum-sized P-90 more than the P-94 so that is another option. Also, I personally can vouch for Fralin P90s for being some of the best and he does offer a humbucker-sized P-90 but I have not tried it personally.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. volktar

volktar Member

Ill double down on Fralin's stuff. I would recommend you give him a call. The guy (and his staff) are super personable and will be able to tell you if what they make will produce what you are looking for. Additionally, they wind to order, so they may be able to do something extremely specific for you, at no extra charge.

Retrop and cerebral gasket like this.
  7. cerebral gasket

I have a Fralin hum-cancelling P-90 in my Les Paul Junior DC and Kinman zero-hum P-90’s in the bridge position of my SG Classics and could not be any happier. Traditional humbuckers are a thing of the past for me.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nope. Can't be, they're not the same size.

P90: wide fat thick bobbin

P90.jpg

P94: long narrow thin bobbin, basically a regular hot single coil.

P94.jpg

Look at dimensions.

SP90-2.jpg

P94.jpg

cerebral gasket and Retrop like this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

But in reality, a P94 being a single coil, is closer in tone to a P90 than to a humbucker.

10. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I love the neck P90 in my SG. It gets more use than the other SG's with neck humbucker. Big difference in tone, clarity and attack. I bet a Fralin humbucker sized P90 would sound awesome.

11. volktar

volktar Member

I have been SERIOUSLY fighting off the urge to put Fralins humless P90 in my special...

12. Retrop

Retrop Member

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Well they are amazing. Mine aren't the noiseless but I've tried a set and they are worth every penny!

13. volktar

volktar Member

@Retrop, you aren't helping! haha

Retrop likes this.
  14. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

15. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention that. This weekend I was planning on rewiring my G400 Pro so that the neck coils are in parallel. I'm not going to use a switch though, so it will be that way all the time. If I really like it maybe I'll use a push/pull pot to give me the series/parallel option.

I'm trying this before I decide whether to change out the pickup for a HB size P90.

16. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Can you repeat the question ?...

17. cerebral gasket

There is no such thing as a humbucker sized P-90. A P-90 is too long to fit inside a humbucker cover. A single coil pickup packaged inside a humbucker cover is called a P-94 for a reason because it is a different size pickup from a P-90. The only thing that a P-90 and P-94 have in common is that they are both single coil pickups.

There’s no replacement for displacement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  18. plankton

I refer to a HB size P90 for simplicity sake. There are several models of humbuckers out there that attempt to mimic the sound of a true P90 and they have lots of different names. HB size P90 seems to be the generally used industry terminology.

As you pointed out, there is no substitute for the real thing. But for those who want that sort of tone in a guitar that has humbuckers, the HB P90 seems like a decent compromise, without having to get out a router.

Someday I may set up an SG to have a PAF style bridge humbucker and a proper P90 in the neck position. I think I would really like that.

19. cerebral gasket

I understand what you meant about the industry terminology. It's funny how the industry coins a term incorrectly and then everyone starts using it. Another one that comes to mind is "Tremolo" vs "Vibrato".

Totally agree.
    I didn't want to go hacking up the bridge pickup cavity on my SG Classics to install humbuckers, so I installed zero-hum P-90's and was able to keep the guitar looking stock. They may not be "real" or "vintage" P-90's, but that's not what I was after.

That would be great.
    Maybe something like an SG Futura if using small guard.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...on-sg-futura-with-min-etune-pacific-blue-fade

Or any batwing-equipped SG would suffice so that a new batwing could be fabricated with the necessary pickup cutouts to cover up the pickup cavity routing that would need to be done.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  20. plankton

And "coil tap" vs. "coil split".

I have contemplated doing this to my '66 G400 Pro as it has a large guard. Before I start routing though I'm going to try what I mentioned above, parallel wiring, and if that doesn't give me what I want then probably a Tonerider Rebel 90.