So is anyone else buying a house right now?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Old Foothill Farms just doesn't have the same cachet as London. :cool:
    San Francisco prices are more like $1150/sqft.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Cachet be damned! That looks like a nice place to live.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

The fellow I bought it from is about to retire from a civil service job that I once held. During the tour we joked about shared experiences and he gave me a history of what renovations and repairs had been done, showed me a couple of small defects that needed attention and negotiated the price downward after the inspection revealed a couple of more items. It has two screened in porches an open concept kitchen dining and living area, a very large garage and RV parking area. I will have a dedicated room for my instruments and gear. And two of the bathrooms have Jacuzzi tubs.... Our current shack has one small bathtub/shower combo and a second bathroom has a shower stall so small that I bang my elbows on the walls and door if I turn around.

donepearce likes this.
  4. Biddlin

"But as he descended the hill, a sadness came upon him, and he thought in his heart:
    How shall I go in peace and without sorrow? Nay, not without a wound in the spirit shall I leave this city.
    Long were the days of pain I have spent within its walls, and long were the nights of aloneness; and who can depart from his pain and his aloneness without regret?
    Too many fragments of the spirit have I scattered in these streets, and too many are the children of my longing that walk naked among these hills, and I cannot withdraw from them without a burden and an ache.
    It is not a garment I cast off this day, but a skin that I tear with my own hands.
    Nor is it a thought I leave behind me, but a heart made sweet with hunger and with thirst.

Yet I cannot tarry longer."
    Khalil Gibran-The Prophet.
    This home I'm leaving is by most standards substandard. It was built from a kit provided to the first owner in 1956/57. It has no insulation and is built on less than stable ground. The foundation/slab has been slowly creeping south toward a creek since it was laid. If I put a marble on the floor against the North wall, it rolls South to the front door, only interrupted by the 1/4" crack in the living room floor, which can be seen out on the East facing patio and on the West facing exterior wall. A 1/2" about 28" long can be found in a master bedroom wall and on the exterior as well. The place has suffered perhaps 100 small earthquakes and the house is ready to knock down before it falls.
    All that said, when we lost our home of 25 years to the **** recession and medical bills in 2010, it was an affordable place to shelter our family. At just over 1000 sqft it would not hold all of our furniture and personal possessions, but it kept us off the streets, where many families ended up. It is also in the heart of a "bad" neighborhood.
    My neighbors have been the best we've ever had. We ll look out for each other and know who's supposed to be here and who isn't. The neighborhood market is a rich cultural experience with fresh produce and local poultry, dairy and meat. I don't know where I will get my birria and nopales now. My friend Henry who I jam with regularly has been a source of companionship and encouragement to me while he himself goes through painful medical treatment for a chronic disease. These people who didn't know me from Adam's off ox have taken me into their homes and hearts.
    The Sacramento river delta is less than a mile away on foot, I could walk to this view in a few minutes.
    1delta.jpg
    It has been my personal refuge on many occasions over the last nine years.
    I will miss the cacophony of party noise that fills the air on Friday and Saturday nights, a steely collage of blues, salsa and reggae that is so thick sometimes you feel it as much as hear it. It will not be so in my new neighborhood.
    Many of my old friends have never been able to understand how I feel about this neighborhood because all they can see is the poverty and violence, but there is much love and profound art here. A few minutes before I started typing I told my neighbor Mercy that we were moving and we both got teary-eyed.

Tony M and Piper68Special like this.
  5. Biddlin

Life's history can be reduced to a finite number of meaningful overstuffed boxes and a huge pile of crap. Packing up the "souvenirs" one collects and takes pleasure in catching a glimpse of now and then is really personal archaeology. A sea-shell given as a gift, Betty Boop and Pudgy salt&pepper shakers, a remote control Millennium Falcon, Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic, ancient fold-up opera glasses, Chihuahua figurines, etc. etc. The time consuming task of wrapping and packing and labeling seems endless. Along side the folded boxes waiting to be assembled is a garden cart, into which about half of the things we have acquired over the last nine years are tossed to be sent to the re-cycler's or the rag and bone man. (No, not Rory Charles Graham) All the while regular mundane life goes on. The visits to doctor and dentist, grocery shopping and at the end of each day, one does a mental inventory of all the things overlooked that day and all the things to manage the next. I am going to survive this move, I hope, but I can't recall ever being this exhausted.

Col Mustard likes this.
  6. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat New Member

I sold my house back in August. I'm moving out on October 29...maybe I should re-locate to Northern Californ-I-A.:hmm:

7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Moving is hard work. I have sworn never to move house again until I die. And even then I am seriously considering sticking around.

Col Mustard and Biddlin like this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Very poignant and meaningful thoughts here, my friend and friends...
    Thanks for posting. I have been forcing myself to get ruthless.
    Asking myself: "Am I going to haul this over Loveland Pass?"
    maybe not...
    I have discarded bags and bags of treasures, I had a bid yard sale
    where we took in more than $3000, a startling pile of cash. But I
    was selling very cool items of course. *grins

No shite, people bought the darnedest things. And the stuff that didn't
    sell got given away. Stuff I couldn't give away to friends got set out by
    the road with a big hand lettered sign that said "Free..."

Gone in a half hour, usually. Many of my things, it was a wrench to
    let them go. But I'll say this: It's very freeing.

The young people generally don't want their parents' old stuff.
    Sometimes (as in my case) people recognize value and are willing to buy.
    Several friends were willing to buy some of my instruments, and I'm
    fine with the smaller collection I now have. So I am at peace, and
    actually looking forward to living with a much smaller footprint.

I'll take care of Cindy as long as I can. And afterwards? My daughter has
    said she might "scoop me up..." At this stage in my life, I don't think I want to own anything.
    We'll rent a place in Tucson, near her new grandson, and nature will take its course.
    I know how to live simply, so
    I may wander a bit, dragging a small Airstream or equivalent behind me.
    Reading "Travels with Charley" again. I will have choices to make, but
    I don't have to make them now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG, Rhinestone...
    may you find somewhere to park yer Strat.
    I got an offer on my house yesterday, and countered, so the ball's
    in play. Most decent places, I couldn't rent anything as for what I've
    been paying on my mortgage. I look at this trend with trepidation,
    and hope to find an affordable home in a place with cool neighbors
    as Biddlin describes.

But if I can turn my house into money, I'll be able to face my choices
    from a position of strength. That's my plan anyway. Get rid of decades
    of mementos and souvenirs, and travel lighter.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.