So....Let us discuss what years are good, and what years are bad for our Sg's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by 58pit, May 1, 2019.

1. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Something I have NEVER understood. Perhaps a discussion between from what I consider to be the most logical, sane, knowledgeable, folks ANY where on the internet about our beloved guitars would hold some answers. I know when I need a sensible answer about a Gibson SG this is where I turn to. And hats off to the folks that make this forum great. Now, the original question.... Best years, worst years. I find it TOTALLY amazing and perhaps on the verge of insane, that some folks say.... "Don't get a Norlin, they are trash" or "2012 was a BAD year", or "2013's are by far the BEST!". I see.."the fret boards in this era were this and that" I see 2014s are garbage, that ugly logo on the 12th and the auto tuners, YUCK" Ebony. Richlite, Mahogany, fret board WHAT EVER, yada yada yada....... I have probably owned/bought/sold well over 100 Gibson SGs over the last 30+ years. I never once said.. "ALL of these suck" or "ALL of these are great" Now I WILL say this, most of the ones I have decided to keep are Norlin ERA, but I WILL say this too, I have had some crappy Norlins. What makes folks generalize these amazing instruments so much? Any Idea? Because I just dont get it. Do they want to appear to be total guitar experts or something? Your thoughts?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic New Member

Good: all the years

Bad: 2015. Ain't no one wants that wide neck.

brazilnut and musicman2242 like this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Let's lay a few cards on the table...

IMHO, guys just crave a simple answer. Even if its false. I don't get it either.

They come on board of a forum saying, "What year SG should I buy, for the
    best tone?" (or sustain) or construction, or what.

People talk about year classes of guitar as if they could sum up
    a whole year's production in a couple of sentences... It's just more bull-taco
    to me. The illusion of knowledge. A meaningless conversational circle jerk.

And maybe the US auto industry started it, with each new year class supposedly
    being "new and improved..." Where their advertising agencies would pump up
    the excitement, persuading prospective buyers that this new year's model was
    the best, and all you have to do to look like James Bond is to buy one.

You can see that they pounded this hoopla-oink into our brains from the time
    we were old enough to turn on the television. So maybe people unwittingly
    think guitars are like that. (they are not)

The guitar makers may have employed this kind of advertising agency hype.
    I don't know because I usually ignore it. IMHO we all should.

ETSG wisdom states that there are good guitars and poor guitars made in
    each year of production, or each decade, or whatever arbitrary unit of time
    you prefer. You have to play them, and pick the best without regard for when
    it was made, but instead choose by what it sounds like and feels like.

That's how you know. Don't take advice from strangers who know nothing about
    your music. Go where they sell them, and play as many as they'll let you. Buy
    the one that comes alive in your hands. If none does, keep looking. The one
    for you is out there somewhere.

volktar, 58pit and Biddlin like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Key Riced, more of this cerebral Onanism? BTW I love the microscopically wider fret board on the 2015 LPDCs I've played, but then that's my work space. My guess is that if no one had told them, most players wouldn't even notice that huge .05", that's a generous .025" on each side. "Isn't that just about the width of the adjustable titanium nut, Biddlin?" Yes, that's so the nut can be mounted in an adjustable frame.

58pit and arcticsg like this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I think the wide soloist neck width SG's are fine fine spoley oley drinking wine!

Looks like the new Modern model keeps that at least!

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Where are these super crappy 2015’s for super low prices?

A lot of geniuses that can’t change their own strings post a lot of stupidity and generalizations when they should be practicing with their instruments.

I have also never broken a headstock.... I don’t recall ever seeing a broken one in person...

7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The best and worst SGs I've owned came from the same year...

...make sense of that with the 'good year, bad year' logic. :)

PermissionToLand, 58pit and arcticsg like this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Any manufacturing industry can experience good and bad products within the same year.

Wednesday guitars are the best ones. It’s the middle of the week when employees are rested and more focused on their work.

Friday afternoon guitars may experience defects since it’s the end of the week when employees are tired and thinking about the weekend, or in a hurry to finish for the end of the week.

volktar, DanB and arcticsg like this.
  9. GrumpyOldDBA

Wednesday guitars are the best ones. It’s the middle of the week when employees are rested and more focused on their work.

Sorry messed up the quoting.

I ONLY buy guitars made on wednesday seriously why take a chance on any other day!

PixMix likes this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I only buy guitars that were completed on days starting with a consonant and ending in "y".

PermissionToLand likes this.
  11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You are very funny ...

12. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Well, in the 80s I had a '61 SG Special and there was no such thing as vintage guitars then, just old ones and that made them cheaper. It was all I could afford. So anyway I didn't even own a guitar stand, I used to leave that thing propped against walls and laying on my bed (using the headstock as a load bearing point in both cases). When I wasn't doing that I stuck it in the torn up cardbard fake alligator skin case it had come in which provided zero protection. Had that for over a decade and no issues. I sold it to a guy for peanuts and he figured out that it was actually worth something by then because the vingage market had become a thing by then. He said he felt bad but I notice he didn't offer me more money. Then he immediately managed to get the headstock and neck heel both broken when his car get rear ended. Luck of the draw I guess. But I never saw it in that state.

On the other hand I bought a 2007 SG3 from guitar center on an impulse because man they look coool and it was one of a limited run of 300 with a gold serial and lots of nonsense that doesn't make it rarer or more valuable but sucked me in anyway. I had second thoughts though and my wife was threatening to make me sleep on the couch over it because it was one guitar purchase too many in her view. So I was ambivalent about it as I waited and waited and waited for it to show up. It took 10 or 11 days even though I paid 3-5 day shipping to have it shipped from Kansas or whatever to my local store (that should have been a clue that something might not end well). It arrived and I set out to looking for tiny flaws because I was so mixed in my emotions. As I was inspecting an undisclosed screw hole in the horn where they had moved the strap button to and then moved back one of the clerks said "oh wow, the headstock is broken". And man, was it, at like a 75 degree angle with splinters everywhere. I was so fixated on that little screw hole that I didn't even look at the neck yet. Needless to say I don't own an SG3 at this point. It was a weird moment though, because I was heartbroken to see a beautiful guitar broken like that, but at the same time I was relieved I didn't have to pay for it. But it was nice to finally stop sleeping on the couch so that was cool.

58pit, JP68 and Bad Penguin like this.
  13. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I've read that guitars made on February 29 are the highest quality. But man are they hard to find.

58pit and GrumpyOldDBA like this.
  14. GrumpyOldDBA

Ahh those are the good years! Dang the secret is out!

15. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Send them my way

[​IMG]

16. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Best years? From 1961 or so, (whenever they took Les' name off of it.) to 2019.
    Worst years? From 1961 or so, (whenever they took Les' name off of it.) to 2019.
    Each guitar is an individual. Each one can be a gem or a dog. Each year, month, day or decade, can produce gems or dogs.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Wow, this seems almost like a consensus...
    If someone really believed that the 2013s are the best of Gibson's recent production,
    they might be intimidated to say so after all this.

Or if someone really believed that Gibson hasn't made a good guitar since 1969
    when Norlin took them over, they might not want to waste their breath.

arcticsg and AngelDeVille like this.
  18. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

SG's...

I had an 87 or 88, totally awesome, sold it in about 2005.... Stupidly...

Traded away a 2015 for an equally awesome non Gibson.

Still have a 91, 15, 17.... And an 06 or 04 EB3

And I'm considering an 18 mini special...

Non SG's...

04 V
    17 HP V
    18 LP bfg

I have never had a bad Gibson.

arcticsg likes this.
  19. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My lovely 2015, awesome SG [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Col Mustard, 58pit and arcticsg like this.
  20. DaveSG

DaveSG New Member

Let's see, I own a '71, a '92, and a '99.

Without question, I've heard the best years are 1971, 1992, and 1999:thumb:

Crazy_8, brazilnut, 58pit and 2 others like this.