So....Let us discuss what years are good, and what years are bad for our Sg's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by 58pit, May 1, 2019.

1. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

IDK really, It's like wimmins. They are all made from pretty much the same stuff. But really you just have to find one that "checks all the boxes." Essentially, something can be more than the sum of the parts.

58pit likes this.
  2. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Wow dude THAT is a honey!

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Right, people said "beurkk SG 2015 .... " only because the Les Paul signature on the headstock... This 2015 SG Standard is amazing, I love the neck profile and finish is beautiful.

PermissionToLand and 58pit like this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

All the REAL Custom Shops are made in Nashville. Gibson just puts "custom" logos on all the Memphis products to give them a little extra justification for the price. Even semi-hollows that are real Custom Shop products are made in Nashville.

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

You know what, you are right. My 2006 VOS SG was made by Gibson Custom, Art & Historic, i.e. Nashville Custom Shop. Yet I have seen sellers brag that their custom shop SG is "pre-2006" as if 2006 was a line in the sand separating good from bad. I've never seen why that would be though.

6. PermissionToLand

One change around then was the introduction of VOS as the standard finish. Before that there was a kind of similar aged option though. They also started Plek'ing the frets and switched to Burstbuckers in 2006.

Mine is a 2007. I guess we'll just have to suffer with these shitty post-2005 models... Maybe those blinkered buyers/sellers will drive down prices of post-05 SGs and we can buy more for cheap!

Coincidentally, I just saw a Historic Std at a local shop listed as a '61 RI for $1,300! Man, if only I had the money on me. It was gone by the next week. I want to say it was an '06 and had the noticeable binding bleed.

arcticsg likes this.
  7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

That's a sick deal someone got. I paid more than that for my '06 historic VOS but I still got what I consider a great deal because (I think) they guy listed it as a 1962 reissue VOS and I suspect people just weren't searching for 1962 reissue and didn't see it right away. A lot of people think of these things as 1962 homages because the six digit serial number ends in a 2 but that's really product code that means it's an SG standard historic reissue, not implying a specific year. If your looking for a deal online, looking for 1962 reissues may be something to check for.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. PermissionToLand

And also actual SG-62 / '62 Reissues, if you don't mind the slightly off body shape. They're vintage now and the first ever SG Reissues.

Yeah, I thought that of mine for a while because of the serial. Turns out SGs don't use the same format as other Historics. That's actually how the local Historic was listed. So IDK if they thought it was an SG-62 that looked remarkably new for an '80s guitar, or that there was some '62 Reissue alongside the '61 at some point... ?

9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2013 is an apreciated year

Temp 6.jpg