So What Are Your Goals as a Musician?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by rotorhead, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Notabot

Notabot Member

Ok, got it. My goal is to not give RH any of my guitars... :D:D:D

rotorhead likes this.
  2. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I've hit a point in life where the guitar is all about fun for me. I like playing with other musicians and I love playing live. I don't have the discipline to practice enough to be in a band. I don't find it enjoyable to play the same songs in the same way over and over. I try to attend as many open mics and bar jams as I can find. Even though I sometimes feel stupid standing on stage playing nothing because I don't know the song I love the challenge of playing a song I don't know. I just turn it down and try to follow the bass player until I get the changes. I'm not flashy and rarely play lead. I like to sit in the background and try to make the song better.

Biddlin, Notabot and rotorhead like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's better.

4. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

Yah, that would be nice. Or to play something and be able to know were to go musically to make the musical statement I want to make.

Seems like just memorizing other peoples songs is such a dead end. It doesn't make you a musician, it makes you a musical instrument operator.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You could look at it that way, I suppose. As long as I'm having fun, the label hardly matters.

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

Another actual goal of mine is to record a simple rock and roll album with just myself playing everything. Something which is actually possible these days now with home recording software.

7. hraffe

hraffe New Member

My dream since I started playing was to release an album through a good record label. I thought an album was everything needed to be able to call yourself a good musician for some reason. Well, I got that done a few years ago and I've been playing live a bunch of times since then. Now I realize that you'll never be satisfied no matter how far you go musically. So at the moment I just try to make good songs and have fun playing with the bands I'm part of. It doesn't really matter if I can make money from it or not, it's just a superb hobby!

NoOrangeJuice and Raiyn like this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I think you're doing it right.

9. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Simple goals really. Got a few songs I’ve been wanting to learn. Some Neil Young. Specifically Cinnamon Girl and a couple others. Pinball Wizard just because.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I want to write something that is soulful and has some original artistic merit, everything sounds like something else to some extent but its the little innovations that make something interesting in my opinion. It needs to be accessible to people who don't play music.

If I can write music that evokes emotion in both musicians and non-musicians I will consider myself successful.

Norlin SG likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

My goal is to be a working musician, because I still have time to figure out what I'm going to do for a living. Whether that's playing covers (which I'd rather not do, but whatever), getting studio gigs, in an original band, being a session musician, running a studio, or having my own youtube channel, I want to do something in the music industry and either play or help others play. I don't think I could force myself to do a day job working 9-5 unless I'm a instrument retailer or running a studio. That is my main goal as a musician, is to make a living out of it. :D

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I just want to keep having fun with guitars. They don't owe me a living, I just enjoy modding them and making noise with them - sometimes approaching things that sound vaguely like songs!:p

Norlin SG and rotorhead like this.
  13. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

When written an performed well, music seems to connect people on a spiritual level. Musicians VS ordinary people? The only real distinction is that while both types might feel/enjoy music, a musician understands at some level how it is constructed.

This guy really got it, I think.

“The music is not in the notes,
    but in the silence between.”
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Raiyn and NoOrangeJuice like this.