Software Effects (anybody else playing aound with them)

Discussion in 'Effects' started by nalaregeork, Mar 14, 2005.

1. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

I have been playing around with committing to using at least some software processing. I have owned a bunch of goodies GT-6, Adrenalinn I+ II (II was the upgrade), TC Electronics FireWorx, TC G-Major, Echoplex Digital Pro (I like looping it's fun) I have started to get rid of some of it and some I did away with in trade/swaps. I now am going to get rid of the looper and am keeping a Boss VF-1 need some sort of hardware backup and most software distortion I have tried leaves me unimpressed thus far. Still things have really improved on the software front enough to get me to start taking this route now. The looper (Gibson Echoplex) is now replaceable in software and well some of the delay effects seem good enough and worthy of usage. Software though I realize overwhelms some folks and likely not everyone wants to go there but, there are some real advantages in using software.

Okay go ahead take it to task just figured it might be a worthwhile discussion and well it is actually a passion of mine besides great guitars like SG's.

Some resources
    http://www.zonemobius.com/ My choice for replacing the Echoplex
    http://www.kvraudio.com/ Tons of software effects to try out some free, some not, most VST, others Mac only.

2. bodhi2600

bodhi2600 New Member

loopers

i love using loopers. as far as software looping goes i have thus far been unable to use it because i am on a mac powerbook. my recording program (cubase vst) has a great 4 head tape delay effect (karlette/probably named after karl stockhausen) that is super spacey and capable of great atmospheres.i am still using hardware devices for loops though. i use two each of the lexicon jamman and vortex. also in the mix is an akai headrush. i enjoy using loops and guitar based atmospheres as a contrast to the more traditional rock slammage that i engage in most of the time.........
    looping and spacing out with guitar is an area that many guitarists have overlooked and is super fun. certainly worth trying!
    some cool listening would be david torns cd "what means solid" and suso saiz. suso is a super educated guitarist and tasty experimentalist.
    space... the final frontier
    ~bodhi

3. aisuru

aisuru Member

i've been using Native Instruments GuitarRig for recorded guitar parts. the amp models are pretty good, distortions not bad either. it's pretty good for mashing up drum sounds too. i'd obviously prefer real hardware effects, but i don't have the money or space at the moment. software does have plenty of advantages though, like being able to say "actually, i think that part might sound better on a Vox than a Marshall" and just clicking a few times to radically change the sound of what you've recorded. there are often lots more options from a single software app than from a single guitar pedal too. whcih leaves room for experimentation.

4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone mike direct into the puter?

5. paradox

paradox Active Member

Not yet Vox, but I want to move in that direction, I have a 6ch Eurorack mixer that is always connected to my computer for flexibility and I want to get a mic and give that a go. I currently use one of the aux sends to go to the line in on the computer for recording. That channel that is being sent is normally fed by the direct out of something (RP7 Valve processor, amp line out, etc), but I'd like to use one of the low-z mixer inputs for a mic. I posted on what mic to get, but got no replies.. I'm guessing the shure 57 is the one to get. I also ran across the Randall Isolation box on the web the other day (a 12" speaker in a totally sealed box with a mic) , anyone have any experience with one of those?

6. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

Vox, I use a mixer in between my amp and the computer, and a couple times I've miced into the computer. Comes out excellent.

anything you wanna know, or just wonderin'?

Paradox, I have a 10-channel Eurorack MXB1002 mixer right now and I love it! Talk about quality for the price!!!!! I got it a few months back to replace an old Fostex 460 Mixer/4-Track Cassette board, which was huge and just a bit too much for my needs, although very nice. I'm looking to sell that now because this Eurorack is everything I need!

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I really want an uncolored sound recorded into the puter of exactly what I hear in my old Beatle Bashers.........the touch sensitivity, the more intense movement toward degrees of breakup as I pick harder, ringing second and third order harmonics etc. things you don't get out of solid State or pods........that's important to me! I have 3 disks of software....

8. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

well, if i have any software that'll help you out, just ask and i'll get you a copy.

9. aisuru

aisuru Member

i've got a wee Soundcraft Compact4 mixer. it's ideal for connecting up to a computer. for me anyway. it gets pretty clean results from a mic, even though we're using a cheapish dynamic. i mainly just record the guitar into channel 2's Hi-Z input though, it's nice and clean and ready for software amp modeling and effects. if only the Epi's pups were better though :(

10. paradox

paradox Active Member

Guitar3dt, you're right on... I can't believe how good those mixers are (I have the Behringer Eurorack MX802A - 4 mono channels and 2 stereo channels). Mines been around a while, but its crystal clear, extremely transparent, low noise, and the headphone out gets LOUD!!! Not bad for $100 bucks!!! I imagine the newer ones sound just as good.