Spec For 61 Reissue 2012 SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pedecamp, May 21, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I have a faded so I always wanted a Standard with the Standard bling, I like the small pickguard, I like paf style pickups, I prefer a round neck but that wont be a show stopper since most SGs seem to have the slim tapered. I don't really need a 2nd SG its just an itch that needs to be scratched, and if I can get a good deal on it that will make it even better. :yesway:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  2. Mick

Mick Member

Yeah I messaged him too!

pedecamp likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The '61 Ri always has a slim taper neck.

Did you play a 2017 or a 2018 Standard ?

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I've held them in my hand awhile ago and the neck felt thinner than my faded.

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, those are Slim Taper too. The only small pickguard SG with the rounded '50s neck was the 2011 50th Anniversary 24 fret model:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Standard_24

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

So long story short I struck a deal on this guitar, should have it within the next week.

So next question, why did I go with this 2013 over a similarly priced 2017, 2018, 2019? They all seem to have the same neck profile so that's a mute point, what the 2013 had the others didn't was the right combination of things that all the others had some of but not all of. The 2013 came with classic Kluson tuners, 57 pickups, small pickguard, silver top knobs, toggle switch poker chip, black paint, and a black Gibson hard shell case, everything I'd want in a classic looking SG, the only thing I might change out is the cream pickup switch tip to amber. Its gonna be a beautiful day when it arrives and thank you all for guiding my way! :yesway:

Also bought this week a Marshall SV20H, its on back order so should hopefully have it in a couple weeks to go with this magnificent SG. :yesway:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    PermissionToLand and Mick like this.
  7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new guitar! The '61 design is iconic for good reason, they are just gorgeous.

I notice you mentioned switching to an amber switch tip. That's pretty common and all the custom shop ones come that way. But I owned a real '61 at one time and the original switch tip wasn't yellow. I wondered about that and looked at ones for sale on reverb and 95% of them don't have yellow switch tips. So I did a little digging and Gibson changed the plastic they used in 1961ish to something that didn't turn amber over time. So the amber tip is perfect for the '59 and '60 Les Pauls but for a '61 SG it's not common. I'm sure there are plenty out there with them for real because nothing at Gibson was "today we switch to new parts". But that mystery was solved. I'm not saying this to suggest your desire to go with amber is wrong or bad or you shouldn't do it. It's all a matter of preference. Just something I learned about the true vintage ones that seperates early Les Pauls from early ... un well Les Pauls that look like SGs I guess you'd have to call the '61 Les Paul standard.

S.Ustain and pedecamp like this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

My 57 Goldtop LP has an amber tip and I like the way it looks, I saw a couple SGs with it and thought it looked cool, I'll pop my LP tip on it and see if I will bother or not, it just gives it a vintage look that I like. Thanks for the info! :yesway:

Steve D likes this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Just got it tonight in the mail, great looking guitar, extra bonus its got that tan binding that I like so much! The dude has an Emerson wire harness with 50's wiring too bright I'm gonna rewire it to modern maybe even put the old wiring back in he sent along with it. The Emerson has 500k audio pots the original wiring has 300k linear for volume and 500k audio for tone, what do you think is the best way to go? Also has a .022uf and .015uf bumblebee capacitors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mick likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

OK so I moved some wires around to change it from 50's wiring to modern, notice in the pic above the caps were in the wrong place, .022uf should be on the bridge pots and the .015uf on the neck, so I switched them around, I still think the bridge is too bright with 500k pots I think I'm gonna tear everything out and put the 300k back in the volume positions and I might as well put the original 500k back in the tone positions. Hang tight and lets see if it makes a difference!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Heres the old wiring, I need a little help here understanding how to put it back in. See that loose brown wire, where does that go, and I assume the pickups solder to the outside volume lug, that brown wire probably goes there too.

[​IMG]

12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Connect brown wire where indicated by red arrow pictured below.
    On the tone pots, one leg of the cap goes to ground (pot casing), but make certain the other leg connected to the middle pot lug does not touch the pot casing so that the cap is not shorted to ground.

Connect hot lead (inside wire) from each pickup to its respective volume pot on the lug indicated by red arrow which shares the brown wire that goes to the tone pot.

Connect the ground wire (outer braided shield) of each pickup to the pot casings (ground).

Finally, connect the ground wire from the tailpiece to the pot casing. (ground).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    flognoth, pedecamp and Mick like this.
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Never mind I got it figured out and all wired up with the original harness, it sounds great! I have no idea why the previous owner went through all that trouble and expense to swap out the stock wire harness. Any way his loss is my gain, now I have a great sounding and great looking SG. :yesway:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Mick, arcticsg and cerebral gasket like this.
  14. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Steve Ds comment about switch tip color matches my experience. It seems like everyone just swaps in the darkest tip they can find, but '61s, both genuine and good reissues, do not have ambered tips. I'm looking right at mine and it's cream, not the amber of my LP. Obviously a small thing, and I can only speak from my own experience. One little switch tip move that I pull is to remove maybe the last 1/16" of material from the bottom of the tip before threading it on. No one ever notices, and this gives a usefully lower profile that reduces whacking the switch when playing, while it works just fine when you do want to switch. I'm sure others do this, but since I never heard of it until I thought it up, I like to give myself full credit for this nifty adjustment.

pedecamp likes this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I'm gonna keep the cream tip on, it just looks right. :yesway: