Special or Junior?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Clifdawg, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Alright y’all, so there are a few big box retailers blowing out last year’s Gibson LP specials and LP juniors (the ones with pickguard mounted electronics and the double-cut) for the very tasty prices of 600 and 550 USD respectively. I may or may not get either, but I’m toying with the idea. So... if I did, should I go with the single soapbar:
    [​IMG]
    Or the dual soapbar:
    [​IMG]
    I’m not going to pretend that it’s worth saving only 50 bucks to go without a pickup, but for some reason single-pickup guitars (particularly Juniors with P90s) just appeal to me. That said, the middle position between two p90s is one of the sweetest sounds a guitar can make.

So, just out of curiosity... If it were your money, what would you do?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The twin, without a doubt.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Double here too. All 3 positions on a P90 guitar are somptuous.

4. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

I cast a vote for the Junior.
    I like the simple yet nuanced way you can approach a single p90.

5. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

I’d go with the Special and probably be tempted to install dual concentric pots for individual controls over each pickup. :thumb:

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

You can approach one pickup of the twin in precisely the same nuanced way, then add a heap more equally nuanced tones on top of that. No contest - it's the twin.

DrBGood likes this.
  7. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Haha, fair enough. I'll still take the Junior though, wouldn't want to get too nuanced;)

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thing is: if it's your first P90 guitar, get the Special. You'll be able to bite in all there is to savour in this new world of yours.

If you already have such a guitar, then for sure, go for the Jr.

KelvinS1965 and jtcnj like this.
  9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ve talked myself off the ledge, as what I really want is a real four-knob LP special singlecut or an SG junior one day, and this was kind of an impulse thing. Besides, I still have a half-built gaming PC (my other semi-hobby) that needs to be finished and I should probably fill up one money pit before breaking ground on the next one. :rofl:

I think I probably would have gone for the two-pickup model had I decided to pull the trigger, though.

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Special fo sure...

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Member

This. :smile:

I just bought a Les Paul Junior with the deeper 50s profile as a contrast to my 60s Tribute Gold Top...they both feel different to play and I find the bridge pick up sounds different on the Junior too: Just been playing them back to back through my Marshall 2525, set clean (ish) and it's surprising how different they sound. Good job otherwise I'd find it hard to justify both.

Just so you know (incase it bothers you) those DC Specials and Juniors have a slim taper neck, incase you prefer a fatter neck: They had them in the shop the same day I bought my Junior, but once I knew about the neck I thought I'd stick with the LP Junior so that it would be more of a change from my GT.

The GT still gets plenty of love though; I played it last night into my Champ clone and it went down well. :smile:
    Simon 1.jpg

DrBGood likes this.
  12. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Those are great prices. I'm a huge fan of slab bodied Les Pauls and P90s and if I wasn't more than covered on that end, I would jump on this deal. I too vote for Special.

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

One of each.

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  14. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I stopped by a Guitar Center this evening. They had three of these hanging on the wall, and all three were quite nice looking. Three piece bodies but not as obvious as on the top picture in post #1, and all three had a very decent action and overall feel. Perhaps fret ends a bit noticeable, but it might be a seasonal thing (dry air).

15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Or you can find an used Les Paul DC Special like this one ,

Temp 369.jpg

16. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

That would be ideal. They are getting hard to find, and when you do the are pricey. I have two, would get the third one in a heartbeat, but forget about finding it anywhere near $600, especially not for gloss ones.

17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  18. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest New Member

I vote for the double as well. That Les Paul DC Special that papagayo posted looks mighty nice, too.

19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

there's a lot of sonic territory in a double P-90 rig.

I believe the special will do everything the junior can do,
    and then have the middle position (which is essential IMHO) AND THEN have the neck position, which is a whole 'nother animal.
    Caledonia tall rig@100.jpg
    Once upon a time I considered P-90 p'ups to be obsolete,
    made in 1945 like the P-51 fighter, un-necessary in our modernistic times. Hah! That was just closed minded ignorance on my part.

Once I joined this forum, I read posts about P-90 p'ups with a sort of disbelief ... REALLY guys?
    But then I started listening more, and realized how much great music that I still like has been made on guitars like this. Once I began listening instead of talking, I learned a lot. I learned why these pickups have been in production ever since 1945.

So you can see, I'd vote for the twin P-90 setup.
    Grab it and run.

20. Dadgad

Dadgad New Member

Junior's in the 2019 lineup have necks set deeper in the body because they are not hiding a routed out spot for a neck pickup. The new Juniors have the neck pickup routed out and hidden under the pickguard and a shallower neck set in body is the result. I chose the 2019 Jr for that reason plus the simplicity of 1 pickup, 2 knobs. Mines a keeper for the rest of my life!!

richey88 likes this.