Squealing noise from Epi Pro Bucker bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Fumble fingers, May 9, 2019.

1. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I recently installed some new Pro Bucker in my G400 Pro which is fairly new too from the Classic Pro's but I have some serious squealing noise from the bridge pickup on my dirty channel ( Dual Recto ) at fairly low volume , can't even get close to Band practice volumes without un controllable squeal including the neck pickup but the neck pup doesn't squeal at low volume like the bridge does, double checked everything and all looks good , ground checks good at the closest mounting insert to the controls , after the pickup swap the bridge Volume pot became loose/wiggle on the split mode so I ordered a Stumac pre-soldered kit with switch , volume pots with splittable tone pots , cut off the quick disconnect and soldered the pickup wires directly but the squeal is still there … didn't do it before the pickup switch and now nothing seems to fix it and I'm out of Ideas and open for suggestion

Bad set of Pickups is what I leaning towards . what do you guys think ??

Epiphone probably won't take them back since I cut the quick connector off
    I do have a 490T and a set of 490-498's among other pups to try or slip the Classic Pro's back in , I did/do like the sound of the Pro Buckers but the squealing has to stop or I can't use them

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Bad pickup - something is loose inside, maybe a winding, and you are getting squeal feedback. You need either a new pickup, or wax pot it.

Fumble fingers likes this.
  3. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

Thanks , I do like the sound of pickups , if Epiphone won't do anything I just might have to send them out to get re-potted

4. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

Update . Epiphone wants me to take the pickup to a Guitar Center for evaluation when I was hoping they would just exchange it for a new one , so I think I’m going to install a Gibson 490T I have laying around that’s splittable for the time being then take the Pro Bucker bridge pickup to GC for evaluation

5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Re-potting may be necessary. It's not that complicated. YouTube has some nice vids explaining it. You can get the wax from many stores.

6. donepearce

I used to have varied success with repotting until I got a suction pump. I put the pickup into the molten wax and leave it for fifteen minutes or so to get everything up to temperature. Then I put the whole thing in a sealed container and connect the pump. Masses of air bubbles come out, showing that the wax really hadn't penetrated.Then with the vacuum released, the wax moves into all those places it couldn't previously get to. I've never had a failure since.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That's a good idea.

I have a vacuum pump, but I don't clearly see what you mean. When you say everything in a closed container, you mean the pickup still drowned in the wax tub ? You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that, would you ?

8. donepearce

No picture, sorry. Just take the container of molten wax, with the pickup submerged in it and put the whole thing into the vacuum chamber. All the air inside the pickup comes out and bubbles up to the surface of the wax. Then when you release the vacuum, the wax is forced in to those spaces where the air was. Then you can take the pickup out of the wax and clean it off as usual.
    When you do it this way you guarantee that the wax penetrated the whole pickup.

9. DrBGood

It's mostly the vaccum chamber that intrigues me.

10. donepearce

11. DrBGood

Ah, I see. I could then connect my vacuum pump to my pressure cooker.

555x555_0011_CLASSICA-22_7L.jpg

12. donepearce

I guess so

13. donepearce

Actually, thinking about it, probably not. The seal is designed to support high pressure inside, not low. It will probably not seal a vacuum.