Squier S-73

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Absynthe, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

I got this guitar at guitar center yesterday for $149 including a(non original)hardshell case. It's It's not really an SG copy,more like a copy of a copy of copy(Guild S-100,DeArmond S-73,Squier S-73). Anyway,it is still a nice guitar,solid mahogany body with mahogany set neck and Duncan Designed humbuckers. This is actually the second one of these I have owned. I regretted sell the other one 3 years ago so I was happy to find this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Interesting. Obviously worth the money if you've liked one before & regretted selling it. :)

I know these date from the time when Fender owned Guild - but were they from a different production line to DeArmond, or were they more of a rebranding exercise? The one thing that strikes me as obviously different to the 'typical' Guild S100 is the design & location of the tailpiece - on the Guild it's their trapezoid shape & positioned a long way back from the bridge. Something looks a little different in the shape/bevels, though I couldn't be sure without looking at some reference pics.

Congrats on the find. :thumb:

3. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Thanks! Here is a 2001 DeArmond S-73

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from what I have read,this is what Fender did with the leftover unfinished DeArmond guitar bodies.Both the DeArmond and Squier were made at the same factory.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    nunyabinezzz and Yes G like this.
  4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Whoa!!!

I've seen some of the pre-dearmond squier's around. Aren't they pre-dearmond runs???

The dearmind sg bodies are around...but I've NEVER seen a carved top s100/sg

Cool. Very cool. And a total score. Wow.

5. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I finally found a near mint 2001 Dearmond S73 on Reverb. The quality is stunning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Beautiful. Green wouldn't be a first choice but still. You have to nab 'em when you can.

The metallic wine red on the S-73's is incredible too. Here's mine from GC a month or so ago. It came with a crooked B5 mounted with deck screws! I swapped the B700 & put covers on the DD pickups. The PG shape is well done. Kudos to the previous owner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amazing quality these things are. I consider myself lucky to have grabbed it.

koaguilds likes this.
  7. koaguilds

Thank you. True I would like to have found the natural one in this condition but the green has an allure. These are like SG's on steroids construction wise. I really like them. I had the S-73 12 string version in red, brand new, in 2004 but chronic tendinitis doesn't allow me to fret many chords on 12 strings the way I want to so i sold it.

8. Lynurd Fireburd

Why aren't my images showing up?

I'm having issues at tdpri & MLP too. Some are imgur & some are right off my phone.

When I brought S73 home I stopped by a luthier friends & showed it to him. He was impressed by the quality & it's likeness to a Guild.

koaguilds likes this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The more I look at it, the more I like that green...
    Is this also made in Korea? My experience of recent Korean guitars has been of very high build quality - amongst the best in fact.

koaguilds likes this.
  10. koaguilds

Thanks. I think Deamond/Guild called it Teal Green at the time.Make in Korea 2001. I also recall seeing a few of the Guild S100's in Teal Green in the late 90's and as an option in their catalogs. More of a deep emerald like green.

11. koaguilds

Photobucket started telling me that if I want to post pics to forums and the like then its $300 a year..:wow::shock::rofl::io: So I'm now using http://imgbb.com/ for free pics uploads.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  12. Lynurd Fireburd

My options somehow default to private on imgur. A quick change & i'm back in business. As long as it remains free.

koaguilds likes this.
  13. koaguilds

The green manalishi with the two prong crown is what I'll call her.

14. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

I've got two of the DeArmond S73s. One is in the natural finish. The other is in the cherry wine finish. The fit and finish work on them is top notch. The DeArmond Gold Tone pickups are simply fantastic sounding. Both of mine are set up for Ernie Ball .11/.48 power slinkies. These are excellent guitars and hold their own against any of my 5 Gibson SGs.

I've not played any of the Squier versions, but I've been told that neither the build quality nor the tonal quality is anywhere near as good.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    koaguilds and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  15. koaguilds

My 1993 Guild S100. Serial #FB000002 of the 90's reissues. This one was a display piece at the 1994 NAMM. I got it in mint condition from the original collector. These have the German made Mueller roller bridges which give them a unigue ringing tone unlike the later Gotoh bridges that were used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  16. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

That's a beauty. My natural finish DeArmond S73 looks to just like it.

The Guild S100 Polara and the DeArmond S73 are both excellent guitars.

Lunacy the Faded and koaguilds like this.
  17. koaguilds

Thank you. I love my SG's but the Guild feels like playing a boutique instrument in comparison. I'm getting used to the narrower neck. The fret work feels slick and glassy. I can play fast runs with virtually no effort.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  18. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

It looks like you've got an extra toggle switch there on the S100. My DeArmond S73s just have the standard pickup selector toggle switch. What's the other one: phase, coil tap???

I'm also curious if you or anyone else here has had a chance to play the S100 and the S73 side by side through the same amp for tone comparison. The S73 isn't as trebly as say an SG Special with 490s or an SG Standard with 490/498s. With the DeArmond Gold Tones, it has a real PAF kind of tone. The thicker wood also seems to contribute to a darker, more Les Paul kind of tone.

Any thoughts, folks?

19. Lynurd Fireburd

For a product badged with the "Squier" name it is impressive. I dont know if I would compare it with the Guild or Dearmond versions but the price keeps it close.

From a tone perspective I wouldn't compare them. The Squier has DD humbuckers. Although they're supposedly modeled after the Duncan JB/59 combo they're hardly the same pickup as the other two.

I really like all versions of this guit. I blame Thayill for this.

koaguilds likes this.
  20. nunyabinezzz

nunyabinezzz New Member

[​IMG]Found this one in a dumpster at my apartment complex. It looked horrendous when I got it, but after w few days of cleanup, some new pickups, a custom made pickguard and a good setup, it is one of my favorites.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019