Sting comparison

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Roca, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Roca

Roca Active Member

I have a 2016 66 reissue g400. Planning on a string change but can't decide between Ernie ball regular slinky or Ernie ball regular cobalt. Would like to hear some of your wisdom about both. Thank you.

2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Cobalt tend to be louder and brighter, but they obliterate your frets. If you think the louder and brighter will be your thing, I recommend GHS Boomers, which sound exactly the same to my ears but without the fret eating :D

Roca likes this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

It's such a personal thing. Try em all and decide for yourself. They don't last forever. Over the last 35 years, I think I've tried everything. My preference has changed quite a bit depending on what I was looking for at the time.

Saint Toad and Roca like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Its hard to say. Smaller can sometimes really be more intense. But larger certainly produces a fatter impact. I vote for Yellow Jackets as hurting the most. Those suckers hurt like the devil. Red Wasps would be close - they tend to attack in groups.

5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Sting with the Police was far better than solo Sting. Punkier and definitely had more grit.
    The current Sting is just an old, dull geezer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Gahr, chilipeppermaniac, Roca and 2 others like this.
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Sting will never compare to my two all time favorites...

Rowdy Roddy Piper and Jimmy Superfly Snooka...

[​IMG]

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  7. Roca

Roca Active Member

*String* lol smart people. Smh lmao

8. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Or my favorites, Randy Macho Man Savage and Elizabeth.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

"Sting comparison"

Some stings are just 'worse' than others but I would find it hard to say which sting I like best!

Here's some way cool sting results for y'all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whaaaa...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nooooo...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, my favorite sting so far..

[​IMG]

What's that buzz? Tell me whatsa happnin.. What's that buzz? Tell me whatsa happnin.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Finding a scorpion in your shoe after it’s too late is always a treat.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

oh man, that's all sickening!
    What has been seen
    cannot be unseen...

what has been seen.jpg

Let's answer the OP's question:

Strings must be changed frequently. You change your strings before an important
    gig, or before going out on a grueling tour where you'll play a lot under demanding
    and harsh conditions. You change your strings before an important recording project.
    When in doubt: throw 'em out.

Old dead strings will not stay in tune. And the tone sucks. So buy several brands
    and install one. Ernie Ball, D'Addario, GHS, DR, Reverend, Gibson Brite Wires, Fender Bullets,
    lots to choose from.

But they are all good. So you pick the kind that sounds the best to you, or you pick the
    kind that breaks the least when you play. Or, like me you pick the one that goes on sale
    because they are all good. Get them as cheap as possible, and change them often.
    Try several brands, and play them a lot, and listen, then replace with another brand.
    Then you'll know. Then get 'em when they mark 'em down.

When you install strings, use the "self locking" method. You can google that, and follow
    videos that explain it. This method solves lots of problems you didn't know you had because
    your strings were so old and dead that you couldn't hear anything.

I favor D'Addario, because they seem to last quite long, and they don't break on MY guitars,
    and Musician's Friend puts them on sale in boxes of ten sets for less than $39.00 ...which is
    when I pounce. When each set costs only $3.60, you don't feel too much hesitation in
    changing them.

So pay the amount that stings the least.
    https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/search.html#/?Saleprice=<$5&Catalognxtcategory=Strings&search_return=all&Catalognxtinstrument=Acoustic+Guitar^Electric+Guitar&sort_by_field=Sale+Price

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    SG standard, Relic61 and Roca like this.
  12. Relic61

I too look for the 10 pack sale when I place a MF or GC order to insure free shipping as well (gotta keep that price down baby) but I find that I'm down to 3 types of string that I really like because they sound great, perform well & stay in tune once stretched & put on correctly with the self locking method.

By preference :

#1 has to go to D'addario. These strings have beautiful & even tonal response from all the strings & compared to some other brands their heavier wound strings are exceptionally clear & brighter in tonal response. And if it couldn't get better than that they are often one of the most affordable brands as well. They last long, sound great, stay in tune & hold their brightness & tone better than any 'normal' string I've used.

#2 is Ernie Ball (Super Slinky 9's for me). While a little less bright than D'addarios they still offer fairly balanced & consistent tonality transitioning from wound to unwound string. They too are reasonably affordable but I don't find they can last as long or hold bright tone as long as D'addario's do. I know these string are 'done' when the D string gets noticeable indentations on their undersides from being pressed against the frets. So, they get the #2 because of their function & tone when new.

#3 goes to GHS Guitar Boomers as these string do offer a bit of difference in tone & wound string output. They offer a tangible decibel increase over most typically wound strings. I do find the high end tonal response on the GHS wound strings to be slightly less than what I hear on the D'addario & Ernie Ball strings. Much like the Ernie Balls, I find the GHS to fade in wound string high end response quicker than D'addario (and quicker than the E.B's as well) The D string is also subject to getting flat spots over the frets sooner than both D'addario & Ernie Balls indicating the necessity to change strings. Again, their rating would be based on NEW string performance.

Notable runners up...

#4 goes to SIT or (Stay In Tune) 'Power Wound' strings. Great performance with bright & balanced sound with strong db output. Maybe this could slide into the #2 spot right along side of the EB Super Slinkys. It has been a while since I've bought these, probably because they are seldom available in a value 10 pack & are usually just a little more expensive than the 3 sets of strings listed already.

#5 Dunlop Nickel Plated Steel Electric Guitar Strings. Like much of the other Nickle Wrapped strings these offer a nice R&R tone. And once again, although I have used them, they don't offer anything significant to compensate the additional cost over buying the perfectly suited for me D'addario strings.

.............................................................................

Also, don't forget to take the time to lube the nut to prevent binding & pinching which creates tuning issues.
    And for the love of everything sacred, take the time during a string change to clean & condition / treat the fretboard (of course maple gets a pass here) and clean & polish the guitar body.

When you get that all done & everything is stringed up try treating the strings and metal frets to a proper application of Fast Fret. If capable, check & adjust string height & intonation once tuned to pitch.
    Do all this and you will have a great playing guitar that offers a nice rewarding playing experience with little issue.

Here's a little copy 'n paste string knowledge.

String Construction Material
    The material used to create the guitar strings not surprisingly has a major impact on the resulting tone of the guitar. While the core of wound strings is almost always made of steel, different materials are used in the windings surrounding this core. Each of these materials change how the string vibrates, and thus affects the overall tone.

Electric Guitar String Materials
    Nickel plated steel strings are probably the most common choice for use on electric guitars, because of their volume and resistance to corrosion. The following are other types of common string materials for the electric guitar:

• Nickel Plated Steel -very bright and warm
    • Pure Nickel - bright (although not as bright as nickel plated steel) and warm
    • Stainless Steel - very clear and bright with "bite". Stainless steel's oxidation resistance extends string life
    • Chrome - warm and flat. Most often preferred by jazz guitarists
    • Polymer coated strings - technically less sustain, although there is some dispute of the practical implications of that. String life is extended dramatically

13. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Eb Slinkys here too. Thinking about EB 9's now that I am ready for another 10 pack

Roca likes this.
  14. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Lots of good info here. Personally, I’m particular what goes on my acoustic. Used Elixers for many years now. Last forever and hold tone longer than most.

For my electrics. I tend toward some folk where they buy what’s on sale. I just haven’t been able to pick out that great a difference. But that’s just me. Your results may vary.

15. Relic61

If you like that sound I can send you all my 'used' strings too. It's better than just throwing them out right?

Ya, Ha Ha funny funny. Sorry bub, couldn't resist.

Roca likes this.
  16. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Used Martins for years. Always like how they sounded. Then tried the Elixers. New to new, still think the Martins won. Problem was. They died in a couple months.... and I wasn’t playing it that much. The Elixers just maintained quite a bit longer.

Relic61 likes this.
  17. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Im using EB hybrid slinks now on both my sg and strat. The skinny is 9 goes to 46 on low e. A subtle but definite improvement for me to the EB super slinks.

18. Roca

Roca Active Member

I think I will try the reg slinky 10s first. A lot of guys i know used them quite a bit back in the day. Probably go to boomers after that, just because im a gilmour fan, then decide what I like the best.

19. Roca

Roca Active Member

Well, busted my G-string today, and my high E!!! Guess I'm getting the ernie ball rock n roll regular slinky pure nickel wrap.