Strap lock for Epiphone SG Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by SG2016, Feb 18, 2017.

1. SG2016

SG2016 New Member

I was wondering if there is a strap lock system that fits on an Epiphone SG Special guitar with the strap screw being one of the screws that are bolted on neck.

I mean without ANY modification.

2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Here ya go bruddah!

[​IMG]

And they come in handy for a whole bunch of other stuff too!

3. Relic61

Sorry, couldn't help me-self! lol

Have you ever tried these plastic Dunlop retainers that slip on & twist lock??

[​IMG]

They are way cheap (as in affordable cheap) & have worked fine on every strap I've used them with. ah.. but my Steve Via guitar twirlin days are long behind me. Even with good strap locks there is no guarantee bad $#it still can't happen when doing that stuff. I've seen it! Woah.. watch out!

Check 'em out. I've seen them in jars at the check out counter for a buck a piece or so.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Here's what I did. The safety pin has to come out to remove the strap.
    Holds up my PRS P90 guitar. Safety pin will work on other types of straps too, and there are different gages of pin wire. Strap is made from the waist bands of two old pairs of busted out jeans lashed together with more safety pins.

[​IMG]

As will grolsh beer bottle seals or wander in a hardware store to find rubber sink washers the right size.

Dunlop or someone sells plastic buckles that screw under the existing strap then buckle on to their strap.
    This is a similar system but much more expensive made from leather. The stubs get left on all the guitars and you move the strap from guitar to guitar. Luggage buckles.

[​IMG]

Or this system
    [​IMG]

I tend to swap out Fender 'cone' buttons for the 'mushroom' style, because look at that shape for the strap slipping off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SG2016

SG2016 New Member

So something like planet waves lock strap will work out of the box I suppose...

6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Here's JB playing one of his vintage LPs with Grolsch straplock clearly visible - if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me... :D

IMG_0243.JPG

Wildeman likes this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on the Grolsch beer grommet... it's the rock an roll approved strap
    lock for any guitar. I don't like the Dunlop plastic thingies, they break and
    spill your SG onto the hard floor. But the Grolsh Beer grommets never break,
    and you can remove them easily and put them back on easily.
    rearview thumbfest2.jpg
    it's good beer too...

The safety pin setup is very punk, and very cool as long as the safety pins
    last.
    And there's one more thing to consider: Another Punk Rock approved strap lock:
    which is nothing more than a big washer with the right size hole in it.
    It's best if you've found the washer in an urban alley, or near a construction site.

but suburban Punks can go to the hardware store and buy a large washer with
    a 3/8" hole in it... for twenty cents or so.

You unscrew your strap pin, put the washer on it, then put the pin through the
    strap and screw it back on. Mosh and thrash all you want...
    It will never come off, because it's screwed on.

There it is.

dexspeed likes this.
  8. Relic61

After seeing some of the answers here I re-read the OP's initial question for clarity as to what exactly he is asking for from us. Because it is worded well, the way it is worded, I think it lent itself to some confusion.

Here's is his important phrasing...

"a strap lock system that fits on an Epiphone SG Special guitar with the strap screw being one of the screws that are bolted on neck.

I mean without ANY modification."

First of all, here is the guitar strap situation the OP is definitely talking about.
    [​IMG]

OK, I guess the part I locked from the OP onto was "without Any modification" part!

I took that to be meaning not taking that bolt out or removing or replacing the strap button. While unscrewing the bolt isn't technically a modification, removing & replacing the strap button would be considered a modification.

Another question I still have after re-reading the original post is whether or not the OP wants a strap-lock solution that allows him to still remove the strap easily or not & to do so without having to unscrew that neck/strap bolt!!??

If the OP is looking for an 'unmodified' solution that also allows easy strap removal then a whole lot of traditional strap-lock options will not be the answer he seeks!

I believe 'unmodified' was mentioned for a specific reason & we are being put to the test to come up with solutions that answer his specific question.

If the OP would answer my question about whether he expects to remove the strap easily & is willing to unscrew & re-screw that neck/strap bolt, then our answers can be even more specific & applicable for him.

9. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I put a Schaller strap lock system on my Epiphone SG . I removed the old screws, I put toothpicks with wood glue in the holes, and I installed the new straps lock buttons.

10. sg jones

sg jones Member

Both locations bolt on's 20161218_153725.jpg ...

11. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

The real Punk method......one i've seen alot back in the day when vintage SG's were 300 bux is.......Duct Tape!:thumb:
    The Grolsch stoppers are my fave:cheers:

12. SG2016

SG2016 New Member

@Relic61

you are right the "ANY modification" phrase is a little bit confusing and also this is the guitar i am talking about. By modification i mean drilling new holes, enlarge holes, fill holes with toothpicks, etc.

i don't mind unscrewing the original screw and replacing the original "washer" with the new one or even replacing the original screw as long as the new one is a direct fit (in diameter and length)

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I went DiMarzio ClipLock for my G400 Yeah the screws are a bit longer but it didn't hurt anything and it's SECURE.

It's rated for 150lbs or two LP's :shock:

:rofl:

That said, for a Special or a 310........Grolsch or that Dunlop thingy.