Strat pickups on an SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by donepearce, Jan 28, 2020.

1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    A friend of mine has just got herself an old SG that is a bit a wreck. She has a couple of spare Strat pickups, so she asked me if I could work out how to fit them tidily. This seemed like a good project for my CNC router, and I came up with this pick guard. It looks like it will do the job perfectly. Don't blame me for the colour - actually it seems to work nicely with Pelham blue.

sg-for-strat-pickups.jpg

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. donepearce

But it does make a mess

sg-pick-guard-remains.jpg

3. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

Nice job, that pickguard looks great! Strat pickups on a SG? No thank you, SG's are already bright with humbuckers, I couldn't imagine with Strat single coils.
    Cool project though!

donepearce likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Cool project !

If it was mine, I would have asked to have a neck and a middle rout, no bridge.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. donepearce

She particularly wanted the angled one, so I thought the bridge and neck would be the way to go.

6. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Thats a very attractive pup configuration if you ask me. Ive been itching to try it myself. I use coil splitting at least 40% of thr time when using humbuckers anyways. Although i play acoustics almost exclusively these days.

7. donepearce

Yes, neck + bridge combination you can't have on a Strat. I may wire one of her pickups with reversed phase so she can have some at least of the Strat's quack in the centre position.

8. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Nice job on cutting that pickguard. Looks like a giant sheet of candy. Share a pic of the finished project once done.

donepearce likes this.
  9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

My first thought was "oh hell no" lol.

But actually it's something I want to see now. The idea is pretty cool.

10. donepearce

I'll post pics when she has the whole thing together. Lots of work to be done before it finally gets assembled.

11. Juggernaught

Juggernaught New Member

Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush runs a single coil loaded SG most of the time now. Sounds great. Single coils kick out more defined bottom end than HB’s by the way.

12. clint

clint New Member

I replaced the humbuckers in my SG with strat single-coils, but it doesn't sound very stratty. It sounds more plinky than twangy. It doesn't quack as much as a strat either.
    But I find it useful for playing clean rhythm parts.

My SG is a Gibson "Special". I saw a copy of a magazine ad for it on this website many years ago. It describes it as having a maple neck and a hardwood body (i.e. not mahogany), just like a strat. Since the woods are the same, I'm thinking it doesn't sound stratty due to Gibson's shorter scale length.

Here is a video of me playing it.

Here is a video of a guy playing a stock version of the guitar (with humbuckers):

13. donepearce

As you say, neither Strat nor SG but some sort of hybrid I actually like the tone .

14. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of old SG's with single coils pups that sound pretty sweet to my ears.
    68 Melody Maker5(2) (440x330).jpg

DSC01564 (130x375) (3).jpg

OK, they have an SG body but a smaller headstock & they were called a Melody Maker back then but still, I digress. The point is they sound pretty good as single coils.

Biddlin likes this.
  15. donepearce

I have a Melody Maker that had just one of those single coils until I swapped it for a Seymour Duncan humbucker. I quite liked the original sound, but it was kind of weak in output level, and I couldn't get along with the hum.

16. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with that. It's the same reason I dont prefer P-90 pups. But both formats are actually great for rough sounding classic grunge & grind Rock'n Roll where noise is always welcome and sound perfectly fine through a clean amp with good grounding & wires etc.

That 3 pup MM is a joy to play despite it's beefy neck profile. I had little to no problems with noise on a clean channel & what bit there was on the drive channel surprisingly wasn't ridiculously annoying & could be mitigated totally of course by using a second pup.

Gotta say, I've never run either through a pedal board / effects unit (just multi channel amps) where any tendency to produce noise has the potential to be augmented but...

But Right Now,.. I'm thinking I should get those 2 girls out of their case & run 'em through the new Marshall DSL1CR & send 'em through that Ultra Gain Channel & reassess that noise quotient.

17. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Member

Actually, you totally can. I've wired all my strats that way. You take a 3-way switch and wire it like an SG or LP and then wire one of the pots as a volume for the middle pickup.

donepearce likes this.
  18. donepearce

Yes, you can rewire any way you like. I meant you can't do that on a standard Strat.

19. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Member

Right, sorry. In any case I really recommend this to all strat players. Gives you a master tone and a master volume as well which means you have a tone for the bridge pu.