Strings - what do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by lcw, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Guilll

Guilll New Member

D'Addario 11-49. I like the sound of heavier strings, and with me the D'Addario last very long. I find that some strings sound great when you put them on, and rapidly lose that great sound to become dull-sounding. D'Addarios take a few days to setlle down, then they sound good forever. I only change them when they stop staying in tune.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I haven't been desperate enough to spend the extra money in order to try 'em. I'm told they're nice, but mine last a decent length of time.

3. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

I've used them, and they're great especially if you use altered tunings and are asking them to do unnatural things.
    They most definitely can take way more tension than regular D'Addarios before breaking, so if you're using a trem and subjecting them to Pantera like up pulls, they will survive a bit longer.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Says the guy who told me they're nice. :p

5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Have you had any trouble with the ball slipping off the high E? I have a few sets of the Throbak Hex Cores lying about, but every Throbak set I have tried so far has had this problem. They have been the round core strings though, but that shouldn't make any difference when it comes to the unwound ones.

6. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

No, I haven't. What gauge do you use?

Also, have you contacted them? I've always ordered my pickups from them over the phone and in my experience the customer service has been great. I recommend giving them a call about this.

Gahr likes this.
  7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I haven't contacted them, no. I guess i should, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I have ordered a set of pickups from them once, some magnets and strings on two separate occasions. Their service has been quick and excellent (and the pickups are really great too!). I'm sure they would respond quickly to anything regarding the strings as well. Living in Norway, the easiest way to contact them is by email, and whenever I have contacted them their response time has been very short.

I use 10-46 strings. I suspect the faulty strings I have received might be from a faulty batch or something.

8. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I do 11-49 on my gibson scales and 10-46 on fender scale guitars 11-52 on accoustics or 12-54 on my parlor (short scale). I have a buddy that does 10s on gib scale and I find it too slinky. I have a heavy touch so where I fret the note on light strings I bend it out of tune (just by pressing). I could get used to it, but my hand is used to the heavy gauge at the moment. He had a PRS 245 tuned to D with 10s on it and I found it impossible to play, in standard tuning I just had to be more conscious of my touch. Even though I play relatively heavy strings I don't think they make that much difference in the sound on electrics, I think its more of a feel thing. On acoustic it ABSOLUTELY makes a wold of difference because the tension helps the top vibrate.

In terms of strings I always keep a few sets of DR pure nickel 11-50 around because they are my favorite strings on my SG, but for monetary reasons I've recently purchased a TON of Darco 11-49s because they are like 3.75$ (CAD) with free shipping (even for canada) on my fav. string website... Honestly, the quality is fine. I've noticed some pitting at the frets when I play a lot, but definitely not twice as fast as strings that are twice as much and they sound great. If you change your strings often (like I do) these are a good option... (FYI No affiliation with this site, just a fan):
    https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/daniwoelgust.html

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

7-38 on everything.

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  10. grausch

grausch Active Member

I really struggle with Maiden type gallop rhythms when the strings are this light. Bending was a dream, but I tend to overbend with the 7s. The 8-40s work really well for me or even a hybrid set of 8-46. That allows me to bend like I want and still get the tight rhythms right.

Biddlin and AngelDeVille like this.
  11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Keeps my touch light, I consider myself strictly rhythm.

Biddlin and grausch like this.
  12. lcw

lcw Active Member

Well Tony Iommi ran super light gauges (out of necessity due to his missing finger tips), but certainly not lacking tone IMO.

13. grausch

grausch Active Member

Yes, we do adapt to different strings after a while. I think playing with 8-40s for that long definitely helped me develop a lighter touch. Any bends close to the nut are also much better than trying the same with 10-46s.

14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

D'Addario 10-46.
    They sound good, stay in tune, last a
    long time and you can get them anywhere.

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Rev's 7-38 on long scale 9-42 on Gibsons, epis, etc. Light touch and good frets!
    I've been using NYXL, but with 15 Gibsons/Epis,. they're gonna have to let me do an endorsement deal or it's back to EBs.

16. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

It blows my mind that people use 7-38. I can't even imagine (I have a heavy hand). Its not a bad thing, I just can't even fathom how light your picking has to be on 7s, I can't even do 9s on a fender scale!

Using 11s as I do, your E is my A tuned down like 2 and a half steps!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

18. grausch

grausch Active Member

I am considering going back to 8-40s as 10-46 are too forgiving. When I am pushing my limits I tend to play more sloppily and with 10s I can just mash down on the strings. Can’t do that with 8s so it forces me to play cleaner.

Picking can be an issue as I have found. However, it can be alleviated by picking as economically as possible. It does however, mean that my right hand won’t be fast enough for quite a few Maiden songs - I will need to work on that... Luckily I have a few guitars so I can leave one with 10-46s.

19. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

The issue for me is twofold, I pick hard (so light strings "womp" out of tune) and I press hard'ish (so light strings pull out of tune)... I don't see this as a problem though just that my technique does not lend itself well to light strings (as it is). People mention the difficulty in going up a gauge, but I think it is the exact same issue going down one. Its not easier or harder IMO, its just what your hand is used to. I use 11s because I'm a huge guy with huge hands and I don't get enough "feedback" or pressure against my fingers with light strings---to each their own. I could learn to play on 8s if I wanted to, but I don't see the advantage. When I say I can't imagine playing such slinky strings its entirely personal, I don't think there is anything wrong with it ahahah

Raiyn and grausch like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not a small guy myself. :p

AngelDeVille and Bonzo21 like this.