Strings - what do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by lcw, Oct 5, 2017.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

I've decided on Gibson BriteWires on the SGs and Gibson Vintage Reissue on my Peavey JF-1 because I like the sound.

The Gibson 80/20 or J200 on my Epiphone acoustic, though Ernie Ball's acoustics sound good so far.

Just a beginner, so going for sound at this point.

Tom

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

The punch line to most drummer jokes is... "So, what kind of sticks do you use?"

If drummers were smarter they could really have a field day with guitarists....

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Just think of the Bass player jokes we could be making if we weren't such classy folks.

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

But Bass players never change their strings, and they aren't very funny...

5. ChrisM84

ChrisM84 Member

I’ve kept the 9-46 on a few of my Gibsons, and tried 9-42 for a bit as well. I went back to 10-46. That little bit of added resistance makes me feel more in control of bends and vibrato if that makes sense.

I use EB regular slinkys BUT have recently tried the Gibson vintage reissue strings and thought they felt great.

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

I've used 10's all of my guitar life. I have tried different gauges, but go right back to my D'addario EXL110 on my solid body electrics, The Half Rounds on my semi hollows, and the 11-52 Chrome flats on my arch top.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Many years ago when I was a headbanging teen I recall using GHS Boomers, probably because someone I admired did, and I think they were 9's.

After a twenty year hiatus from guitar the first pack of strings I bought were Ernie Ball Slinkys, 10-46, because they're what I saw hanging on the wall at my local and I knew they were a respected brand. They also seemed "classic rock" appropriate, which is probably the best label for what I play now.

At some point the shop had a good special on 10 set boxes of D'Addarios so I bought some. I felt that they produced a good tone for longer than the Slinkys, which sounded great new but it seemed to fade quickly. So that's what I'm still using now, 10-46 because it feels right, on all my electrics.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

Electric guitars with Gibson scales get GHS Boomer .011 -- .050. I went with 'em 30 years ago due to their durability, because I was breaking strings like a sumbitch.

Fender scales get Nickel Rockers in .010 -- .048.

Flattop acoustics get .012 or .013 strings, usually D'Addario, but I usually let acoustics tell me what they want to wear, seems like they're more finicky about strings.

I definitely prefer heavy strings on acoustics, in order to drive the top. I keep 'em a little on the heavy side with electrics in order to help keep the feel close and minimize adjustment going from acoustic to electric.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Ray likes this.
  9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

Fender Rock n Roll 150s (.009). They used to be called extra lights but now are, I think, called ultra lights. I use both pure nickel and nickel plated. Why? Some of my guitars came with pure and some with plated. I just use what came on 'em. And here is the real oddball part of it all: I don't claim my brand to be the best or anything silly like that. I've just used them for forty-nine years and they happen to work. Whenever I go to Guitar Center for my strings of the month and they don't have 'em in stock I do with something like Ernie Balls.

And size? Macho men use huge strings. I use .009s. So sue me. They allow me to articulate my bends well. [​IMG]

Bob

bwotw likes this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

There are good reasons to use bigger strings, as I noted above. That doesn't mean anyone's going to slag you for your choice, bud.

Ray likes this.
  11. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I used to use Gibson's Vintage Reissues, but they stopped making them the same way when they closed the Elgin, Illinois plant. I believe Gibson just rebrands someone else's strings now, I'm not sure whose. The rebranded ones aren't the same and I don't like them as much.

I've moved on to Throbak's Pure Nickel / Hex Core. They're the closest I've been able to find, so far, to what the Vintage Reissues were. I play 9's too.

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I wasn't referring to you and hadn't read your post, in fact but thanks for the reassurance. I use .012 for most acoustics but .013s for dreads.

Bob

13. Thumpalumpacus

That's okay, it needed saying anyway, apparently.

14. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I just discovered these. D'addario NYXL 0.11 to .56 is one the best sets I've ever played on.

Plain Steel: 011, .014, .019, Nickel Wound .032, .044, .056.

daddario.jpeg

15. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

16. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Man, thats the dumbest statement I've read so far here on ETSG ...
    Sweet Jeeebus ...
    If you set up your axe properly you can easily bend with thick strings. There are lots of pros with thick strings. I vary the strings on my axes, depending what is called for. But its beyond doubt that thick strings stays better in tune and lasts longer. And they do sound better than 0.08 sets, way frigging better.

17. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

I use Musicians Gear 9's or 10's depending. Why? They are cheap, and they work and feel fine.

18. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

ghs sub-zero boomers 10-46

19. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I played many brands, my favorite are ELIXIR Nanoweb.

They sound very bright for a long time, they stay in tune and I love the feeling.