Super lightweight 2017 Standard / balance issue

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by rivercider, Apr 21, 2017.

1. rivercider

rivercider New Member

Hi all
    Been a Long time since I posted when I used to have the SGJ - well, I have returned to the SG with a new 2017 Standard which is great, but I do have one minor issue- this one weighs in at under 6lbs and the neck dive is pretty severe. I use s wide suede strap to control it when standing, but play mostly sitting down where I just struggle to balance it. The Grover locking tuners probably don't help matters, but the guitar is so light I don't know if a tuner change would be enough? It looks like a one piece body to me, lovely looking but can an SG be TOO light!? Hope I can get used to this. Ordered online so couldn't check weight beforehand, there weren't any local to me that were the same model. Lovely guitar in every other respect but the neck dive is bugging me. What to do?
    Will upload photos as soon as I can figure out how to size them down to below the 1mb max it's telling me about....

Biddlin likes this.
  2. rivercider

rivercider New Member

3. bjunior

bjunior New Member

The cause is most likely the heavy tuners. That was the reason that I have chosen for the faded in stead of the standard. I have played both in the shop. The faded doesn't have any neck dive. The tested standard did also not have neck dive (but it was close). I can imagine that if your guitar has a bit lighter body you have neck diving problems.

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

There are a number of potential solutions to neck dive - a lot depends on how severe it is and personal preferences:

1] Remove weight from the headstock.
    2] Use a thick strap with plenty of grip. (Though it may just drag too much on your clothes)
    3] Hold the neck up with your left hand. (Works for some folks...)
    4] Clamp the body of the guitar to your side with your right arm. (Works for Derek Trucks...)
    5] Add weight to the guitar body. I've not tried it, but I guess you'd have to add a lot more weight to the body than you'd have to remove from the headstock - simple physics.
    6] Move the rear strap button up. A solution I tried here. Not recommended if you're likely to want to sell any time soon!
    7] Sell the guitar & buy one that doesn't neck dive. :)

dub-setter and RedRiverII like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Play standing! Rest your right forearm on the rear bout.

ivan H and gball like this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Right Answer.

Forearm works well sitting for me too, but standing is ideal.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Send it to me!! I love light guitars!!

dub-setter likes this.
  8. rivercider

rivercider New Member

9. rivercider

rivercider New Member

Photos seem to be visible now.... So, I have a week or two to decide whether I keep her or send her back. Thanks for all the input. I play sitting down much more than standing, like 95% of the time. I'm an older learner, not ever planning to gig.
    The strap thing I have covered, so if I do stand, that's fine. Sitting down I am currently holding the body down with my right forearm, but its so poorly balanced I don't know if I'll stick with it. I've owned one SG before, but have tried about four or five these last few weeks whilst searching for one, none had this issue as none were this light (5.9 lbs). Add in the locking tuners and it's hard to see how I can work around this, other than just decide to live with it, which I may still do, as the guitar is perfect in every other way.
    The one idea I think would work for me is weights in the control cavity. Might investigate that, as the strap button thing isn't going to help me when seated and I don't plan on getting a Bigsby. I also like the tuners better than Klusons, but then again I don't know if swapping the tuners would even make enough difference?
    Decisions, decisions....

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It doesn't take much at the headstock to make a real difference. I'd say go for the tuner swap. It's not a big expense, to make you keep the guitar.
    I envy your 5.9 lbs weight, I just LOVE light guitars. They seem more lively to me.

Paul G. likes this.
  11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Seriously...it's like anything else in life: there is a learning curve. A few months from now you won't even remember this was an "issue." My Firebird has 10X the neck dive my SG does and I have learned to adjust to it.

I find the SG, neck dive and all, one of the more comfortable guitars to sit with. LP's suck to sit with.

rivercider and koaguilds like this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Before you go swapping tuners, try just replacing the tuner buttons with lightweight plastic or wood versions. There's a ton of options on eBay.

The stock chrome buttons on Grovers are quite heavy.

cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  13. rivercider

rivercider New Member

Good point and that's probably what's gonna happen, it sounds and plays too nice to return, especially when the next one could be a dog or have similar weight issues or far worse problems. This one came with a strangely jammed in bridge pickup straight from the factory, once that was sorted the rest of it is perfect.
    My LP just sits in its case most of the time as I dislike sitting with that too, thanks for reminding me, the strat actually gets most of the playing time.

14. rivercider

rivercider New Member

Thanks Raiyn, good idea. I did wonder whether to try the Klusons from my LP Studio on it, too.

15. DrBGood

First time I hear that and it makes me feel less inadequate to have never possessed a chunky LP. I'am often on the verge of succumbing to the LP appeal. My P90 Epi LP Special 1 is just like the SG: thin, playful, feather light, kinda tossable and it sits the same as the SG on my thigh.
    If you want the LP chunkiness with a more ergonomic shape, look for a single cut PRS, you might really like it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. rivercider

rivercider New Member

I had a PRS Bernie Marsden, was a nice guitar and sat well, but the weak pickups persuaded me to eventually take the LP plunge (and yes, the Gibson name on the headstock had mojo appeal). With hindsight, the Bernie wasn't much less of an instrument at all than the LP Studio I bought, pickups aside.
    Back to your comment - no, I'm not looking for LP chunkiness at all, it's one of the reasons I want an SG actually, to get away from that. I just seem to have inadvertently landed the lightest SG I possibly could have, it's like a feather.....sounds lovely though, even if the feel is unnervingly light compared to anything else I've played.

17. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Its been mentioned here before that by changing out the heavy Grover lockers to kluson revolution lockers (19:1 ratio), you'll get a weight saving in the order of 20 grams per tuner, which adds up to a substantial amount. Usually gets rid of the neck dive problem. And they look better. Cheers

cerebral gasket and rivercider like this.
  18. DrBGood

19. rivercider

rivercider New Member

Thanks Ivan this is just what I was hoping to hear about, they do indeed look better and I think I'll probably get them eventually, but for now will give the Grovers a fair trial. Klusons look like a perfect solution, or at least a part of it

ivan H likes this.
  20. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

[​IMG]

The easiest thing to do is to use a cotton canvas strap. I've been using them for 30 years and have never had a neck dive problem, where with nylon straps I have.

cerebral gasket and AngelDeVille like this.