Super Rare Vintage SG!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Tube Tone, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tube Tone

Tube Tone New Member

Happy New Year everyone. I have found quite an interesting vintage SG that I wanted to share with you. A 1968 SG Custom would be a great find on it's own. However, this vintage '68 SG has two very special additional attributes. First, it has a very rare black custom color! Second, this guitar has been confirmed to be the very next serial number from Jimi Hendrix famous SG Custom! Indeed, the closest I or anyone I know will ever come to owning/playing one of Jimi's guitars. Enjoy!

Cheers

[​IMG]

Mellow, bwotw, Matthew and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Awesome !

4. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Wow. What a cool - rare guitar. Makes you wonder why Jimi didn't go wor the black/white combo like his Strats.

P.s. I've played Jimi's Flying V
    [​IMG]

Kevy Nova likes this.
  5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

6. Biddlin

Ennis Claire got soul !

7. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

damn nice

8. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Like I keep tellin' my wife - ya gotta love old wood, baby... ;^)

Biddlin likes this.
  9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

tube tone, i know how u feel. After 8 yrs of owning my Harley, I discovered it was built on 09/11/2001. I still get goosebumps.

10. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Even rarer still ! 61 to early 63 in BLACK ? If this is in fact the original paint than the owner's got a Rare Bird indeed ! :thumb:

11. Biddlin

Off topic: How's the thumb, Lou ?

dbb and Kevy Nova like this.
  12. javamagic

Hi Lou. This is the guitar that brought me to ETSG in the first place, seven years ago. It's a mystery object with changed parts and some ugly alterations. I've recently re-posted a pic of the middle pickup rout in the "Show us your vintage SG" topic along with some other details. There is no serial number but I seem to recall that the original concensus of opinion, after seeing a pic of the heel, was that it was either 1962 or 1965. The pots are unhelpful in that they have a 1965 date code but the body seems to show an alteration to fit a third pickup, so the electronics may have been changed. There is overspray but there appears to have been no other colour originally applied, certainly as far as I can tell. I have looked at the guitar under UV light and can see no sign of anything odd. :dunno:

I'm quite keen to listen to any new opinions, views, suggestions, etc. regarding the origin/history of this guitar, so anyone who wants to contribute to the debate is quite welcome - and certainly more relevant than Vintage & Rare in Bath managed!

And I trust it's good news about your recovery Lou. :thumb: (See what I did there? :laugh2:)

Biddlin likes this.
  13. Kevin James

Kevin James Active Member

Any chance you could repost the pictures of this guitar? I don't think I ever saw them and I'd love to take a crack at identifying it.

14. Mike Leaf

Mike Leaf Member

In Robb Lawrence book on the 'Early years of the Les Paul legacy' the last 17 pages is about the 60-63 SG LPs. Its quite useful info and a lot of cool guitars pictured there.

Among them a 3-pickup sideways vibrola black custom , 0 9971 with nickel parts. Also a 2 -pickup Custom with a gold Bigsby, Theres a cherry custom too.

All of these are supposed to be original finishes.

There is also a scanned page from the ledgers in early 1961 showing the forgotten 3-digit series guitars , starting at 100 Gibson began serializing the guitars with a stamped sequence nr , my 61 SG with 6044 pots has the serial number '185' the font is larger than when they moved to 4 digits.

Its been questioned as original , but it is.

The really early ones from late 60 and beginning 61 didnt have the smooth heel either , they were stepped like a 62.

The colour was a kind of lighter shade of cherry , it can be seen in the book on page 262 with the standard serial 0 8779

15. Kevin James

I'll have to pick up a copy of that book. Didn't know there was that many pages of info on the early SG LP's.

The late 60 and very early 61 heels were stepped and not smooth, but the step is different than the 62 -early 65 step. If anything its actually closer to the late 65 Standard as well as the JR heel from 63-65.

Here is the heel on a super clean 60 which I believed is owned by a forum brother on MyLesPaul

[​IMG]

Now here is a 62 Standard heel (my personal guitar)
    [​IMG]

Notice that the 62 (and 63, 64 and early 65) has a ledge that extends up about a half inch where the step is. The 60 did not have that. In late 65 they did away with that as well.

And a late 65 Standard heel also without that ledge (my personal guitar as well)
    [​IMG]

16. Mike Leaf

Mike Leaf Member

Yes , You nailed it, my 61 looks like Your 65 , not like the 62...

There must be at least 4-5 different heels on these guitars from 61-65, that tells me that Gibson saw this an an issue and tried to get it right

17. Kevin James

Yes there were suttle changes every year, which makes the heel shape a very good way to approximate year of manufacture.

Just curious, how is the switch ring positioned on your 61? I would put money on the guess that the switch ring is closer and almost touching the bottom of the pick guard. That is another difference with the late 60 and the earliest 61's from the later guitars in 61.

18. javamagic

Sadly Kevin, I do not have the original pics of my Custom on Photobucket (other than the two you can find on this forum) and I suspect they were lost when my computer died. Will take some more next time I'm home. However, looking at photos of verified early SGs I can say that the heel on my guitar is closer to the 1960 model than the '65. That is it's less square and boxy looking with more of an arc on the underside than the later guitar. I have a '64 Standard with the lip so know that the Custom either pre- or post-dates that.

As for the Robb Lawrence book, it is the only one I have found that has some really useful information on the early SGs alongside the photos of some glorious instruments. I think it is an essential purchase for fans of pre-'65 SGs because of those 17 pages. If only the whole range got the treatment that LPs receive!

Unfortunately the book came out after I built my John Cipollina Tribute so I couldn't use the better quality photo in there to check details and had to do the work from low-resolution pics found online. Nevertheless, it came out quite well. :)

BTW, the 2013 Classic Guitars calendar from Pomegranate has a 1961 SG Standard with what looks like a TV yellow finish on the January page.

19. Mike Leaf

Mike Leaf Member

Yes the R/T Plate is touching the pickguard, no space in between.