Switch problem on SG

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by calibre2001, Dec 24, 2004.

1. calibre2001

calibre2001 New Member

Well its basically there's a crackling and click sound whenever I switch to and from treble mode. Also, the switch is a little on the loose side. Its definitely not as good as good as my Strat's where the crackling and click sound sound is almost non-existent and switch is firm.

Is this problem normal? Or was mine not setup properly? That said, I'm confident the problem can be resolved. Thank you for the advices.

One more question: what pickup is "Treble" and "Rhythm"? I just got my Sg Standard and aside the aforementioned problem, I love it. Seriously.

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I went back and viewed your first post and at that time it sounded like you intended to buy one. The question was sort of "new vs old". First, did you get an SG? The problem doesn't sound quite right. If it's new, I would take it back to dealer (or a Gibson dealer if bought thru like MF) for service/ warranty back up. They can check it out and do what ever it takes to make it right. If it's an older one (no warranty) then it could be something that could occur. A dirty or broken switch or pot that could be making the sounds. I know these can can be cleaned and/or repaired and there are others who can better guide you in this area. If you have a good dealer in your area, most may be able to help you do the repair, but I'd suggest go to someone you know. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys.)

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

What Six said... plus....

The Gibson switch, by its nature, is not as tight (usually) as a Strat or Tele switch. The blade switch on a Fender moves a section of metal between two contacts... sort of like sliding the balonga (slice) into closed sandwhich bread. Well not exactly, but I wanted to say that (an old line). You get the point.

On the Gibo switch, there is a little wutchermadingus that seperates the spring leaf contacts....less force is needed.

Ok the crackle. It COULD be the switch. VERY VERY easy to clean. Just take a bit of thin card stock (like a piece of index card... cut it so it fits the space) and wet it with a bit of rubbing alcohol (some say bourbon increases the tone and sustain when you do this, but I'm dubious at best....). Use the alcohol to wipe the contacts clean on each side of the switch. Dont need no fancy contact cleaner... booze works.

HOWEVER - it could be a different problem. Could be a stray whisker wire is grounding out. Could be the tubing is not in place and braid is grounding out on the switch. Could be cold / missing solder joint. Could be bad potentiometer. Could be bad ground connection.

Just take the back cover off and poke around a little while the guitar is set to treble. You'll find the problem, and then you can fix it.

****what pickup is "Treble" and "Rhythm"****

Bridge=treble
    Neck=Rhythm
    If you have a middle pickup, its life is screwed anyway... the forgotton child and all... so dont get attached to it by giving it a name like Treble or Rhythm... just call it Steve.

4. Tan

Tan New Member

I have a middle pickup in the Strat. Can I call that one Steve too? :roll:

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

No, on a Strat, call it Bruce.

6. Tan

Tan New Member

Bruce? Wow
    How come that you know so much about swallows, eh pickups

7. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

You needn't be them to observe them. Someday, perhaps a book. "Bruce: The forgotten pickup's jouney."

8. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

I got a middle pup (mini's) on my SG Deluxe but
    I call her....nasty Natasha! It's a girl, I checked!

8)

9. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

:roll: :lol: 8)

10. ess

ess Guest

:lol: :arrow:

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

"If you have a middle pickup, its life is screwed anyway... the forgotten child and all... so don't get attached to it by giving it a name like Treble or Rhythm... just call it Steve."
    The middle pickup on the guitar to the left is not in the ckt at all. The guitar is wired as a 2 pu model. The pickup is there because it does not get in my way and looks better than a flat plastic plate.

12. Six String

:lol: :lol: That's a good one CB.... Bruce.... :lol:

13. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

You guys are a kick!!

I used to solve the cracklin' switch problem with Jack Daniels, like CB suggests.....only I never put the stuff on a switch......but if ye drink enough of it you never notice the switch cracklin'......!!

If I had a middle pick up, I would name it Arp......rhymes with Harp only with a silent "H"...........

You folks have merry christmas and Happy New Years and all that good Season's greetings kinda stuff.....!!

14. Six String

Ditto Jimbo!

15. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Back at ya.... ya big galoot!!!