Ta-dah !!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bluesfordan, Sep 8, 2016.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I found my SG pictures. 3 shots are all that I have. I took pictures of the prints with my iPhone so they're not the best transfers but I'm actually a little impressed.

Just spent an hour ducking around with them and finally made an avatar suitable (I hope) for this forum.

I present my 1994 SG standard. I don't think there were any other kinds back then but I may be wrong. I remember that I was so excited about that guitar that in my haste to get back home I took a customary U-turn after pulling out of Daddy's Junky Music's parking lot and didn't see the cop in the U-haul lot across the street. Didn't know you weren't supposed to do that there. Oops, cost 82.50 to bring that guitar home.

2. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

3. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Nice axe Dan. Those pics do not look like they came from prints.

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

very nice SG

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

So...I'm just curious...if'n you took pictures of prints with your phone...why didn't you just take pictures of the guitar with your phone?

Either way, no biggie...it's just one of those odd questions that pops into my mind!

But, I agree with Wav, they don't look like pictures of a print. They almost look like direct images, with a bit of a posterization effect.

Cool stuff!

6. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

JUST AWSESOME BRO!

7. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

it's been gone 22 years now, I only had it during 1994. Back in those days, I was one guitar at a time. See something I liked, traded my current guitar to make it possible. Took a beating every time. Nobel Prize in economics was definitely not ever going to be mine.

8. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

for giggles I checked out the availability of 1994's online. One guy in Australia and one in Bellingham WA that has a massive flight case. I'm kind of partial to ebony and those were cherry. It doesn't have to be a '94, though. Either way, I'm unlikely to get one any time soon unless I sell my R0, which is an ebony beast the likes of which I know I'll never find again.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

SWEET!

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

just get a new one... or a recent used one. the new ones are fine.
    Don't pay any attention to Gibson bashers. You can find an excellent SG
    if you want one. Actually, you should check out 58pit's thread
    close to this one. He has lovingly rebuilt a 2013 empty shell, so if you want
    something superior to any other guitar of any other year, check him out.

Maybe you'll luck out and be able to get this rescue.

That's IF you want one.

11. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Keep your eyes open for close out deals on the 2016s. Lots of good deals likely to go by.

12. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I've got a strat I built and an amp I could sell, along with a few parts that could fund an SG acquisition.

That '94 put some of the best tones I ever got on tape, mostly through the 90s custom shop Concert 4x10 combo that is peeking behind the guitar in those pictures. Had a line out for direct recording which I used for my 4-part multi track opus. I just found the journal entry about that this past weekend. I had forgotten how I had recorded it.

13. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

The first SG I ever bought was a Ebony 1994 Standard. Even today there is something about that guitar. It just feels and plays better than my other SG's.

An interesting thing, that SG came from Gibson with standard Rotomatic Grover tuners. That's pretty uncommon for Standards. Bluesfordan, were the tuners in the photos original?

14. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

yes, bone stock. That was back in my "never mod a thing" days, where I'd trade/sell a guitar rather than change something on it that I didn't like/prefer. I couldn't tell you what kind of tuners they were, it was 22 years ago and I didn't pay attention to those kinds of details in those days.

It sure sounded good, I tell you that. I've been GASsing big time for another SG for a few years now, being frustrated by the high prices of the Historic stuff. You still have yours? Did you buy it new in 1994?

15. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I bought it new and it's my main guitar. It plays better than any of my others.

bluesfordan likes this.
  16. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I see that you have a close up of the back of it in your avatar :D