Tele me something good

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ben DeBumper, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

Hello to all from Northeast Ohio. Just wanted to toss my log onto this other guitar fire! I just got this Sonic Blue MIM Telecaster from bandmate. I just wanted it. No other reason. He was selling, so I bought. I love the Tele sound, and along with the SG and the Ibanez I have the sonic spectrum pretty well covered. I also have an Applause acoustic and a 1967 Melody Maker that is a basket case, but I may have it restored just because. I have had it since 1982 when I bought it for 20 bucks at a garage sale.

And as I took a picture the other day of all of them, I just realized that they all have rosewood fretboards. I think subconsciously I only buy rosewood fretboards.

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Nice colour. And I'd go along with your choice of rosewood fretboards. I hate the feel of the lacquer they plaster all over the maple ones, and I hate even more the look of them when the lacquer wears through. They just get nasty.

I notice yours is 21, not 22 frets. Is there an option on this model? I know they do it in the same body rout by extending the fretboard further towards the pickup.

arcticsg likes this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I like rosewood and ebony myself. :smile:

Although, when it comes to fender, I’m split 50/50:

8 Maple
    8 Rosewood
    ...and NO Pau Ferro :D

4. arcticsg

Prior to the Player series, the MIM Standard Tele’s and Strats have 21 frets. Once the Player series arrived, and replaced the MIM Standards, they received 22 frets.

Unfortunately the Rosewood fretboards are not availible with the Player series as they only come with Maple and Pau Ferro fretboards.

donepearce likes this.
  5. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

Count them again. There's one below the last fret to make 22. I never play up there anyway! :rofl:

6. arcticsg

22 spaces maybe, but still only 21 frets ;)

7. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

With these Vienna Sausage fingers, I rarely pass 12!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Maple fretboards rock!

Especially if it's a MIM Telecaster, because those are covered in Polyurethane, which is hard and smooth and doesn't wear away like lacquer might.
    1c4 whole guitar@100.jpg
    Or let's say it doesn't wear away as fast.

I didn't care for the feel of the back of the neck at first, maybe the Polyurethane was too thick or something. So I scrubbed it with a green kitchen scrubbie, and it feels great now. That was easy.
    4c skunk stripe@100.jpg
    I've sanded the back of guitar necks before, and used steel wool (outside, on a windy day, with the wind blowing all the little steel bits and crumbs AWAY from yer magnets!). But the kitchen scrubbie is just the thing for a polyurethane coated neck.

My Telecaster has a Strat neck, a pair of Fender "wide range" humbuckers, and it's wired just like a Les Paul.
    It's got plenty of Fender brightness, but it can growl and shriek, it can howl or croon, its tone is unique.
    10 onstage01-05-13@100.jpg
    And I like it that way.

Sam Gant likes this.